2002-02-07 19:58:24

by Marcelo Tosatti

Subject: Linux 2.4.18-pre9

So here it goes.

pre9:

- Cris update (Bjorn Wesen)
- SPARC update (David S. Miller)
- Remove duplicate CONFIG_SUNLANCE entry in
Config.in (David S. Miller)
- Change Netfilter maintainer (David S. Miller)
- More SunGEM bugfixes (David S. Miller)
- Update md5sums in ISDN's md5sums.asc (Kai Germaschewski)
- 3ware driver update (Adam Radford)
- Fix cosa compile problem (Adrian Bunk)
- Change VIA "disabling write queue" message (Oliver Feiler)
- Remove buggy Elan-specific handling code (Robert Schwebel)
- Reiserfs bugfixes (Oleg Drokin)
- Fix ppp memory leak (Andrew Morton)
- Really add devfs fix for removable devices:
its on pre8 changelog but not on pre8 patch (me)
- Add framebuffer support for trident graphics
card (James Simmons)
- SCSI tape driver bugfixes (Kai Makisara)
- Add support to Ovislink card on 8139too
driver (Jeff Garzik)
- Add SIOCxMIIxxxx ioctls for better binary
compatibility on au1000_eth driver (Jeff Garzik)
- Fix initialization of phy on epic100 driver (Jeff Garzik)
- Add MODULE_* info to mii.c (Jeff Garzik)
- Add new PCI ID to sundance driver (Jeff Garzik)
- Merge some -ac3 patches (Alan Cox)
- Unify simple_strtol symbol export (Russell King)
- Add amount of cached memory to sysreq-m
output (Martin Knoblauch)
- Do not use SCSI device type to change
IO clustering (Jens Axboe)
- IRC conntrack update (Harald Welte)
- sonypi driver update (Stelian Pop)
- Fix one of the PPP deadlocks (Manfred Spraul)

pre8:

- Add missing netfilter files in pre7 (David S. Miller)
- SunGEM driver update (David S. Miller)
- Kill get_fast_time (David S. Miller)
- Update APIC LVTERR fix to work correctly on
old 486/586 APICs (Mikael Pettersson)
- Check the return code of copy_{from,to}_user
on serial code (Rasmus Andersen)
- Mark 2.5 extended attributes system calls as
reserved to avoid potential conflicts (Nathan Scott)
- Change Christoph Hellwig's email address (Christoph Hellwig)
- Make BLKGETSIZE64 return size in bytes not
sectors (Eric Sandeen)
- Coda dentry revalidation fix (Jan Harkes)
- hisax_fcpcipnp driver update (Kai Germaschewski)
- i810 sound driver update (Doug Ledford)
- Early personality setting in binfmt_elf (Christoph Hellwig)
- Fix rename bug in reiserfs (Oleg Drokin)
- SCSI documentation update (Douglas Gilbert)
- Fix silly typo in megaraid driver (Arjan Van de Ven)
- PPC update (Benjamin Herrenschmidt)
- USB bug fixes (Greg KH)
- Fix devfs problems with removable devices (Richard Gooch)
- Merge -ac1 fixes (Alan Cox)
- VXFS update (Christoph Hellwig)
- Add Compaq FC array to the LUN whitelist (Arjan Van de Ven)

pre7:

- Make ext2/minix/sysvfs actually operate
synchronously on directories when using
the sync mount option (Andrew Morton)
- AFFS update (Roman Zippel)
- Fix 3dfx fb crash with high pixelclock (Jurriaan on Alpha)
- PATH_MAX POSIX compliance (Rusty Russell)
- Really apply AMD Elan patch (me)
- Don't drop IP packets with less than 8 bytes
of payload (David S. Miller)
- Netfilter update (Netfilter team)
- Backport 2.5 sb_bread() changes (Alexander Viro)
- Fix AF_UNIX fd leak (David S. Miller)
- Add Audigy Gameport PCI ID (Daniel Bertrand)
- Sync with ia64 arch independant parts (Keith Owens)
- APM fixes (Stephen Rothwell)
- fs/super.c cleanups (Alexander Viro)

pre6:

- Removed patch in icmp code: its
not needed and causes problems (me)

pre5:

- Include missing radeonfb defines (Erik Andersen)
- Fix fs/buffer.c thinko introduced in pre4 (Andrew Morton)
- USB bugfixes (Greg KH)
- Make fat work correctly with gcc-3.0.x (Tom Rini)
- Avoid overusage of the vmalloc area by
NTFS (Anton Altaparmakov)
- atyfb: Decrease clock rate for 3d RAGE XL (David S. Miller)
- Sungem driver bugfixes (David S. Miller)
- More networking updates (David S. Miller)
- More SPARC updates (David S. Miller)
- devfs update (Richard Gooch)
- Reiserfs expanding truncate fix (Chris Mason)
- ext3 update (Andrew Morton/Stephen Tweedie)
- Add support to WDIOC_SETTIMEOUT on several
watchdog drivers (Joel Becker)
- dl2k driver update (Jeff Garzik)
- Orinoco driver update (David Gibson)
- Radeonfb driver update (Ani Joshi)
- Avoid free_swap_and_cache() from leaving
freeable pages on the cache (Hugh Dickins)
- Add workarounds for AMD Elan processors (Robert Schwebel)
- Random pmac driver bugfixing (Benjamin Herrenschmidt)
- emu10k1 driver update (Rui Sousa)

pre4:

- Networking updates (David S. Miller)
- clgenfb update (Jeff Garzik)
- 8139cp: make it faster (Jeff Garzik)
- 8139too: fix bugs, add experimental RX reset (Jeff Garzik)
- Add MII ethtool interface and change
several drivers to support that (Jeff Garzik)
- Fix ramdisk corruption problems (Andrea Arcangeli)
- Correct in-kernel MS_ASYNC behaviour
on msync/fsync() (Andrew Morton)
- Fix PLIP problems (Niels Jensen)
- Fix problems triggered by the "fsx test"
on smbfs (Urban Widmark)
- Turn on OOSTORE for IDT winchip (from -ac tree)
- Fix iphase crash (from -ac tree)
- Fix crash with two mxser cards (from -ac tree)
- Fix tty write block bug (from -ac tree)
- Add mono/stereo detect to gemtek pci radio (from -ac tree)
- Fix sf16fmi crash on load (from -ac tree)
- add CP1250 (windows eastern european)
translation table (from -ac tree)
- cs46xx driver update (from -ac tree)
- Fix rare data loss case with RAID-1 (Ingo Molnar)
- Add 2.5.x compatibility for the kdev_t
changes (me)
- SPARC updates (David S. Miller)

pre3:

- Cris arch merge (Bjorn Wesen)
- Finish PPC merge (Benjamin Herrenschmidt)
- Add Dell PowerEdge 2400 to
"use BIOS to reboot" blacklist (Arjan van de Ven)
- Avoid potential oops at module unload with
cyclades driver (Andrew Morton)
- Gracefully handle SCSI initialization
failures (Pete Zaitcev)
- USB update (Greg KH)
- Fix potential oops while ejecting ide cds (Zwane Mwaikambo)
- Unify page freeing codepaths (Benjamin LaHaise)
- Miata dma corruption workaround (Richard Henderson)
- Fix vmalloc corruption problem on machines
with virtual dcaches (Ralf Baechle)
- Reiserfs fixes (Oleg Drokin)
- DiskOnChip driver update (David Woodhouse)
- Do not inherit page locking rules across
fork/exec (Dave Anderson)
- Add DRM 4.0 for XFree 4.0 users convenience (Christoph Hellwig)
- Replace .text.lock with .subsection (Keith Owens)
- IrDA bugfixes (Jean Tourrilhes)

pre2:

- APIC LVTERR fixes (Mikael Pettersson)
- Fix ppdev ioctl oops and deadlock (Tim Waugh)
- parport fixes (Tim Waugh)
- orinoco wireless driver update (David Gibson)
- Fix oopsable race in binfmt_elf.c (Alexander Viro)
- Small sx16 driver bugfix (Heinz-Ado Arnolds)
- sbp2 deadlock fix (Andrew Morton)
- Fix JFFS2 write error handling (David Woodhouse)
- Intermezzo update (Peter J. Braam)
- Proper AGP support for Intel 830MP chipsets (Nicolas Aspert)
- Alpha fixes (Jay Estabrook)
- 53c700 SCSI driver update (James Bottomley)
- Fix coredump mmap_sem deadlock on IA64 (David Mosberger)
- 3ware driver update (Adam Radford)
- Fix elevator insertion point on failed
request merge (Jens Axboe)
- Remove bogus rpciod_tcp_dispatcher definition (David Woodhouse)
- Reiserfs fixes (Oleg Drokin)
- de4x5 endianess fixes (Kip Walker)
- ISDN CAPI cleanup (Kai Germaschewski)
- Make refill_inactive() correctly account
progress (me)

pre1:

- S390 merge (IBM)
- SuperH merge (SuperH team)
- PPC merge (Benjamin Herrenschmidt)
- PCI DMA update (David S. Miller)
- radeonfb update (Ani Joshi)
- aty128fb update (Ani Joshi)
- Add nVidia GeForce3 support to rivafb (Ani Joshi)
- Add PM support to opl3sa2 (Zwane Mwaikambo)
- Basic ethtool support for 3com, starfire
and pcmcia net drivers (Jeff Garzik)
- Add MII ethtool interface (Jeff Garzik)
- starfire,sundance,dl2k,sis900,8139{too,cp},
natsemi driver updates (Jeff Garzik)
- ufs/minix: mark inodes as bad in case of read
failure (Christoph Hellwig)
- ReiserFS fixes (Oleg Drokin)
- sonypi update (Stelian Pop)
- n_hdlc update (Paul Fulghum)
- Fix compile error on aty_base.c (Tobias Ringstrom)
- Document cpu_to_xxxx() on kernel-hacking doc (Rusty Russell)
- USB update (Greg KH)
- Fix sysctl console loglevel bug on
IA64 (and possibly other archs) (Jesper Juhl)
- Update Athlon/VIA PCI quirks (Calin A. Culianu)
- blkmtd update (Simon Evans)
- boot protocol update (makes the highest
possible initrd address available to the
bootloader) (H. Peter Anvin)
- NFS fixes (Trond Myklebust)

2002-02-08 02:07:56

by Simon Turvey

Subject: Re: Linux 2.4.18-pre9

Can you tell me if the final 2.4.18 will solve the problems with recent
binutils? Or is the onus on the binutils maintainer to fix this?

Regards,
Simon Turvey

2002-02-08 02:21:27

by Jeff Garzik

Simon Turvey wrote:

> Can you tell me if the final 2.4.18 will solve the problems with recent
> binutils? Or is the onus on the binutils maintainer to fix this?

What driver are you having problems with?

Typically this problem is solved by a one-line fix to a specific driver,
in 2.4.x.

Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik | "I went through my candy like hot oatmeal
Building 1024 | through an internally-buttered weasel."

2002-02-08 09:16:03

by Till Immanuel Patzschke

Hi Marcelo,

is there any chance for including the latest PPP patch from Paul (2.4.2 -
20020205) and Michael's pppoe patch 0.6.10 -- only those "two" patches eliminate
the PPP deadlocks! Might be worth putting these into 2.4.18 final ? :-)
Thanks,

Immanuel
Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

> So here it goes.
>
> pre9:
>
> - Cris update (Bjorn Wesen)
> - SPARC update (David S. Miller)
> - Remove duplicate CONFIG_SUNLANCE entry in
> Config.in (David S. Miller)
> - Change Netfilter maintainer (David S. Miller)
> - More SunGEM bugfixes (David S. Miller)
> - Update md5sums in ISDN's md5sums.asc (Kai Germaschewski)
> - 3ware driver update (Adam Radford)
> - Fix cosa compile problem (Adrian Bunk)
> - Change VIA "disabling write queue" message (Oliver Feiler)
> - Remove buggy Elan-specific handling code (Robert Schwebel)
> - Reiserfs bugfixes (Oleg Drokin)
> - Fix ppp memory leak (Andrew Morton)
> - Really add devfs fix for removable devices:
> its on pre8 changelog but not on pre8 patch (me)
> - Add framebuffer support for trident graphics
> card (James Simmons)
> - SCSI tape driver bugfixes (Kai Makisara)
> - Add support to Ovislink card on 8139too
> driver (Jeff Garzik)
> - Add SIOCxMIIxxxx ioctls for better binary
> compatibility on au1000_eth driver (Jeff Garzik)
> - Fix initialization of phy on epic100 driver (Jeff Garzik)
> - Add MODULE_* info to mii.c (Jeff Garzik)
> - Add new PCI ID to sundance driver (Jeff Garzik)
> - Merge some -ac3 patches (Alan Cox)
> - Unify simple_strtol symbol export (Russell King)
> - Add amount of cached memory to sysreq-m
> output (Martin Knoblauch)
> - Do not use SCSI device type to change
> IO clustering (Jens Axboe)
> - IRC conntrack update (Harald Welte)
> - sonypi driver update (Stelian Pop)
> - Fix one of the PPP deadlocks (Manfred Spraul)

2002-02-08 13:44:28

by Alan

> Can you tell me if the final 2.4.18 will solve the problems with recent
> binutils? Or is the onus on the binutils maintainer to fix this?

The conclusion reached on the list was that the binutils change while suprising
and somewhat annoying is actually perfectly correct and reasonable. The kernel
should eventually work with the new binutils but its up to people with that
binutils to keep testing and chasing down remaining problems

2002-02-08 14:03:23

by Adrian Bunk

On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> What driver are you having problems with?
>
> Typically this problem is solved by a one-line fix to a specific driver,
> in 2.4.x.

Hi Jeff,

I tried to compile a non-modular 2.4.18-pre9 with as much as possible
enabled. With this kernel the final linking shows the following .text.exit
errors:

drivers/char/char.o: In function `mwave_init':
drivers/char/char.o(.text.init+0x10128): undefined reference to `local symbols in discarded section .text.exit'
drivers/char/char.o(.data+0x8214): undefined reference to `local symbols in discarded section .text.exit'
drivers/char/char.o(.data+0xafb4): undefined reference to `local symbols in discarded section .text.exit'
drivers/net/net.o(.data+0xab4): undefined reference to `local symbols in discarded section .text.exit'
drivers/net/net.o(.data+0xd7d4): undefined reference to `local symbols in discarded section .text.exit'
drivers/media/media.o(.text.init+0xc85): more undefined references to `local symbols in discarded section .text.exit' follow
drivers/atm/atm.o: In function `firestream_remove_one':
/home/bunk/linux/kernel-2.4/linux/drivers/atm/firestream.c:2009: undefined reference to `local symbols in discarded section .text.exit'
/home/bunk/linux/kernel-2.4/linux/drivers/atm/firestream.c:2010: undefined reference to `local symbols in discarded section .text.exit'
/home/bunk/linux/kernel-2.4/linux/drivers/atm/firestream.c:2011: undefined reference to `local symbols in discarded section .text.exit'
/home/bunk/linux/kernel-2.4/linux/drivers/atm/firestream.c:2012: undefined reference to `local symbols in discarded section .text.exit'
drivers/atm/atm.o:/home/bunk/linux/kernel-2.4/linux/drivers/atm/firestream.c:2018: more undefined references to `local symbols in discarded section .text.exit' follow
drivers/sound/sounddrivers.o: In function `unload_sbmpu':
drivers/sound/sounddrivers.o(.text+0x1507c): undefined reference to `unload_mpu401'
drivers/sound/sounddrivers.o(.data+0xd374): undefined reference to `local symbols in discarded section .text.exit'
drivers/sound/sounddrivers.o(.data+0x204b4): undefined reference to `local symbols in discarded section .text.exit'
drivers/sound/sounddrivers.o(.data+0x237d4): undefined reference to `local symbols in discarded section .text.exit'
drivers/mtd/mtdlink.o: In function `init_elan_104nc':
drivers/mtd/mtdlink.o(.text.init+0x201): undefined reference to `local symbols in discarded section .text.exit'
drivers/mtd/mtdlink.o: In function `init_sbc_gxx':
drivers/mtd/mtdlink.o(.text.init+0x7a9): undefined reference to `local symbols in discarded section .text.exit'

> Jeff

cu
Adrian

2002-02-08 15:33:35

by Hubert Mantel

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 07, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

> So here it goes.

There are still some module license tags missing. I only looked explicitly
for GPL modules; others might be ok as well.

Patch is against 2.4.18-pre9; I assume 2.5.x also needs this one.
-o)
Hubert Mantel Goodbye, dots... /\\
_\_v

Attachments:
(No filename) (463.00 B)
module-license (16.42 kB)

by Jeff Lightfoot

On Thu, 07 Feb 2002 21:20:56 -0500
Jeff Garzik <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Can you tell me if the final 2.4.18 will solve the problems with
> > recent binutils? Or is the onus on the binutils maintainer to fix
> > this?
>
> What driver are you having problems with?

Hope this was an invitation for others also.

If more info is needed, let me know.

binutils: 2.11.92.0.12.3
kernel: 2.4.18-pre9

drivers/media/media.o: In function `bttv_probe':
drivers/media/media.o(.text.init+0x15cb): undefined reference to `local
symbols in discarded section .text.exit'

2002-02-08 19:29:46

by Marcelo Tosatti

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Till Immanuel Patzschke wrote:

> Hi Marcelo,
>
> is there any chance for including the latest PPP patch from Paul (2.4.2 -
> 20020205) and Michael's pppoe patch 0.6.10 -- only those "two" patches eliminate
> the PPP deadlocks! Might be worth putting these into 2.4.18 final ? :-)

Unfortunately, no. Such patches should be integrated in early -pre series.

2.4.19-pre-early will probably have Paul's PPP fixes.

2002-02-09 14:18:39

by Frédéric L. W. Meunier

Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

> Unfortunately, no. Such patches should be integrated in early
> -pre series.

And what about the updates for matroxfb ?

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=101278517327836&w=2

"I already tried to push updated matroxfb to both Marcello
and Linus, but only Alan picked it..."

I'll probably have to wait for 2.4.19.

--
0@pervalidus.{net, dyndns.org}