2002-02-12 16:07:31

by NyQuist

Subject: nm256_audio.o

Hi
I've a problem with this module. For some reason it locks up my laptop
when modprobed. I'm running redhat's 2.4.7-10 on an i686 and i'm using
the neomagic 256 chipset which I believe is a graphics/sound combination
(with 4 meg or so of mem), the comp is a dell latitude ls.
The card does work, as it runs under the commercial oss drivers, thing
is because the machine locks tight running the kernel 256_audio, I can't
get any debug information, the machine has to be physically
unplugged/debatteried (lucky I run ext3 :) Not even a messages error.
Anyone with any info? I'm gonna have a look and try to debug, but i'm no
kernel hacker.
Thks
--
NyQuist | Matthew Hall -- NyQuist at ntlworld dot com
Sig: Microsoft sells you Windows. Linux gives you the whole house.

2002-02-12 16:14:31

by Bruce Harada

Subject: Re: nm256_audio.o

On 12 Feb 2002 16:02:15 +0000
NyQuist <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi
> I've a problem with this module. For some reason it locks up my laptop
> when modprobed. I'm running redhat's 2.4.7-10 on an i686 and i'm using
> the neomagic 256 chipset which I believe is a graphics/sound combination
> (with 4 meg or so of mem), the comp is a dell latitude ls.
> The card does work, as it runs under the commercial oss drivers, thing
> is because the machine locks tight running the kernel 256_audio, I can't
> get any debug information, the machine has to be physically
> unplugged/debatteried (lucky I run ext3 :) Not even a messages error.
> Anyone with any info? I'm gonna have a look and try to debug, but i'm no
> kernel hacker.

A vague memory of when I used to use a neomagic-based laptop tells me that you
might want to try giving lilo (or whatever bootmanager you're using) a
parameter to limit your memory to 1MB less than your actual memory... although
this is from way back in 2.2.[789] days, I think. (For lilo, that would mean
typing mem=xxxM or adding append="mem=xxxM" to /etc/lilo.conf, where xxx is
your total RAM minus 1.)

2002-02-12 16:37:04

by NyQuist

On Tue, 2002-02-12 at 16:14, Bruce Harada wrote:
> On 12 Feb 2002 16:02:15 +0000
> NyQuist <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > I've a problem with this module. For some reason it locks up my laptop
> > when modprobed. I'm running redhat's 2.4.7-10 on an i686 and i'm using
> > the neomagic 256 chipset which I believe is a graphics/sound combination
> > (with 4 meg or so of mem), the comp is a dell latitude ls.
> > The card does work, as it runs under the commercial oss drivers, thing
> > is because the machine locks tight running the kernel 256_audio, I can't
> > get any debug information, the machine has to be physically
> > unplugged/debatteried (lucky I run ext3 :) Not even a messages error.
> > Anyone with any info? I'm gonna have a look and try to debug, but i'm no
> > kernel hacker.
>
> A vague memory of when I used to use a neomagic-based laptop tells me that you
> might want to try giving lilo (or whatever bootmanager you're using) a
> parameter to limit your memory to 1MB less than your actual memory... although
> this is from way back in 2.2.[789] days, I think. (For lilo, that would mean
> typing mem=xxxM or adding append="mem=xxxM" to /etc/lilo.conf, where xxx is
> your total RAM minus 1.)
Still not working, but thanks for the info anyway. Tried with 1,2 and a
couple of megs down from the physical memory from meminfo, but still no
dice. Afaik, i remember something about the memory of the graphics and
audio being shared, and since X cuts in first, it gobbles the memory up.
Not sure about that one as it still doesn't work if i run init3 and kill
X.

2002-02-12 17:10:49

by Alan

> Still not working, but thanks for the info anyway. Tried with 1,2 and a
> couple of megs down from the physical memory from meminfo, but still no
> dice. Afaik, i remember something about the memory of the graphics and
> audio being shared, and since X cuts in first, it gobbles the memory up.
> Not sure about that one as it still doesn't work if i run init3 and kill
> X.

The Dell only works in 2.4.18pre7-ac3 or higher. Someone finally figured
out the problem and got me a fix. On other boxes its been fine for years

2002-02-12 20:20:05

by Pedro M. Rodrigues

The same (or related) thing happens with my Acer Travelmate 723TXV. Loading
the module would lock the machine, but only if i had started Windows 98 before and
warm booted the machine. After a cold boot, it would complain of a shared resource
(?) problem, and quit. I have yet to check that fix you mention.

/Pedro