2002-02-13 06:36:12

by Josh Litherland

Subject: 2.4.17 Oops, maybe LVM ?

I'm getting reproducible oopses whenever I pull a file over the network
off of my LVM filesystem, so not exactly sure where this is coming
from... this happens with vanilla 2.4.17 although the kernel that I
captured the oops output from has LVM 1.0.2 and posix acls patches on
it.

Raw oops text and ksymoops output are at http://www.burdell.org/~fauxpas/

--
Josh Litherland ([email protected])

2002-02-13 09:08:42

by Joe Thornber

Subject: Re: 2.4.17 Oops, maybe LVM ?

Josh,

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 01:35:48AM -0500, Faux Pas III wrote:
> I'm getting reproducible oopses whenever I pull a file over the network
> off of my LVM filesystem, so not exactly sure where this is coming
> from... this happens with vanilla 2.4.17 although the kernel that I
> captured the oops output from has LVM 1.0.2 and posix acls patches on
> it.
>
> Raw oops text and ksymoops output are at http://www.burdell.org/~fauxpas/

The stack trace doesn't suggest it's an LVM problem, the kjournald
process is oopsing when trying to allocate a buffer_head. Do you have
any other reason to suspect LVM ? eg, have you tried it successfully
on a non-LVM device ? have you tried it without the acls patch ?

- Joe

2002-02-13 13:47:39

by Josh Litherland

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 09:07:48AM +0000, Joe Thornber wrote:

> Do you have any other reason to suspect LVM ? eg, have you tried
> it successfully on a non-LVM device ?

It seems to only crash reliably when I pull a file off the filesystem
that's on the lv, but I haven't been at all scientific in determining
that. =) I'll try to kill it without LVM being in the picture.

> have you tried it without the acls patch ?

Yes. Still crashes under the same conditions with the 'eth0: Abnormal
interrupt' bit, but the oops might be very different. I'll try to get
an oops with a vanilla kernel...

--
Josh Litherland ([email protected])

2002-02-13 16:30:07

by Andreas Dilger

On Feb 13, 2002 01:35 -0500, Faux Pas III wrote:
> I'm getting reproducible oopses whenever I pull a file over the network
> off of my LVM filesystem, so not exactly sure where this is coming
> from... this happens with vanilla 2.4.17 although the kernel that I
> captured the oops output from has LVM 1.0.2 and posix acls patches on
> it.
>
> Raw oops text and ksymoops output are at http://www.burdell.org/~fauxpas/

This appears to be an oops in ext3/jbd and has nothing to do with LVM
as far as I can see. Please post the decoded oops to [email protected]
or [email protected].

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger