2002-02-15 10:20:50

by Jos Hulzink

Subject: 2.5.5-pre1: Deadlocks and ALSA driver problems

Hi,

Still fighting with the debug tools (I'm new to kernel debugging), but
maybe this info is useful to others:

2.5.5-pre1 deadlocked completely about 7 times in 40 minutes. The Magic
SysRq key didn't work anymore. Don't know if it is related, but after I
recompiled the ALSA driver as modules, the system was stable for about 4
hours. (With ALSA modules loaded, playing music, and I rebooted it myself
afterwards.)

Besides: the ALSA /proc interface is terribly broken, any cat
/proc/asound/... results in a no such device error. The ALSA /dev entries
return the same errors while opening them, but the OSS emulation layer
works fine.

System Info:
PII-333 SMP on Asus P2L97-DS (Intel LX chipset), 512 MB RAM
SB Live 5.1 soundcard

The kernel is compiled with ALSA driver and Preemptive=Y

I hope to provide you better emails in the future.

Jos

2002-02-15 12:13:29

by Jaroslav Kysela

Subject: Re: 2.5.5-pre1: Deadlocks and ALSA driver problems

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Jos Hulzink wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Still fighting with the debug tools (I'm new to kernel debugging), but
> maybe this info is useful to others:
>
> 2.5.5-pre1 deadlocked completely about 7 times in 40 minutes. The Magic
> SysRq key didn't work anymore. Don't know if it is related, but after I
> recompiled the ALSA driver as modules, the system was stable for about 4
> hours. (With ALSA modules loaded, playing music, and I rebooted it myself
> afterwards.)
>
> Besides: the ALSA /proc interface is terribly broken, any cat
> /proc/asound/... results in a no such device error. The ALSA /dev entries
> return the same errors while opening them, but the OSS emulation layer
> works fine.

Attached patch for linux/sound/core/info.c fixes the problem with /proc
entries.

Jaroslav

-----
Jaroslav Kysela <[email protected]>
Linux Kernel Sound Maintainer
ALSA Project http://www.alsa-project.org
SuSE Linux http://www.suse.com

Attachments:
out.txt (1.61 kB)

2002-02-15 12:53:43

by Jos Hulzink

On Friday 15 February 2002 13:12, Jaroslav Kysela wrote:

> Attached patch for linux/sound/core/info.c fixes the problem with /proc
> entries.

Confirmed. /proc interface seems working as expected.

Jos