2002-02-15 13:22:24

by Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk

Subject: TUX development? Anyone?

hi all

After tux2-full-2.4.17-final-A1 was released, I've submitted a few bug
reports. However; noone have picked them up.

Why is this?

--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, MCSE, MCNE, CLS, LCA

Computers are like air conditioners.

by Arjan van de Ven

Subject: Re: TUX development? Anyone?

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:

> hi all
>
> After tux2-full-2.4.17-final-A1 was released, I've submitted a few bug
> reports. However; noone have picked them up.
>
> Why is this?

because they didn't include a patch in diff -u form ?

And what do you mean with "picked them up"? Do you demand a fix in 24
hours?
You know, that's why linux vendors sell support... for people why don't
want or can't provide their own fix but do have deadlines to meet....

2002-02-15 18:33:18

by Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk

> because they didn't include a patch in diff -u form ?
>
> And what do you mean with "picked them up"? Do you demand a fix in 24
> hours?

well.. 24 days would be fine.

usually documented bugs get fixed, or at _least_ someone should _try_ to
see what it is

--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, MCSE, MCNE, CLS, LCA

Computers are like air conditioners.

by Rik van Riel

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:

> > because they didn't include a patch in diff -u form ?
> >
> > And what do you mean with "picked them up"? Do you demand a fix in 24
> > hours?
>
> well.. 24 days would be fine.
>
> usually documented bugs get fixed, or at _least_ someone should _try_
> to see what it is

So why haven't you ? Or do you not count as "someone" ? ;)

I guess Ingo might just have been busy working on the O(1)
scheduler, or something.

cheers,

Rik
--
"Linux holds advantages over the single-vendor commercial OS"
-- Microsoft's "Competing with Linux" document

by Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk

> So why haven't you ? Or do you not count as "someone" ? ;)

I happen to be in the rather large group of people not very familiar with
the linux kernel source code.

> I guess Ingo might just have been busy working on the O(1)
> scheduler, or something.

Please try to understand that banging my head against a problem for (now
over a month) is quite annoying.

roy

--

On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 07:44:05PM +0100, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
> > So why haven't you ? Or do you not count as "someone" ? ;)
>
> I happen to be in the rather large group of people not very familiar with
> the linux kernel source code.
>
> > I guess Ingo might just have been busy working on the O(1)
> > scheduler, or something.
>
> Please try to understand that banging my head against a problem for (now
> over a month) is quite annoying.

You know what...... that's what support is for.

2002-02-15 18:59:52

by Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk

Subject: How to make Linux/Tux/Whatever better? (was Re: TUX development? Anyone?)

> > Please try to understand that banging my head against a problem for (now
> > over a month) is quite annoying.
>
> You know what...... that's what support is for.

Is it only me?

Can I please get *some* sort of feedback after submitting a bug report?

I thought that was what made open-source projects better...

roy

--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, MCSE, MCNE, CLS, LCA

Computers are like air conditioners.

by Daniel Egger

Am Fre, 2002-02-15 um 19.59 schrieb Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk:

> Is it only me?
> Can I please get *some* sort of feedback after submitting a bug report?
> I thought that was what made open-source projects better...

You don't get the point, do you?

You get what pay for and in this case it's zilch, zero, nada, nothing...
... No, wait, you have the source, that's more than nothing. Use it,
Luke!

When there's no developper interesting in fixing the bug you've found in
her/his sparetime you should consider buying some help or fix it
yourself instead of complaining.

--
Servus,
Daniel

2002-02-15 19:32:05

by Rik van Riel

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:

> > > Please try to understand that banging my head against a problem for (now
> > > over a month) is quite annoying.
> >
> > You know what...... that's what support is for.
>
> Is it only me?

Clients always get answers, other people get answers if/when
time allows.

> Can I please get *some* sort of feedback after submitting a bug report?
>
> I thought that was what made open-source projects better...

Indeed, but unfortunately developers don't always have time
to look at everything.

regards,

Rik
--
"Linux holds advantages over the single-vendor commercial OS"
-- Microsoft's "Competing with Linux" document

by Ingo Molnar

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:

> After tux2-full-2.4.17-final-A1 was released, I've submitted a few bug
> reports. However; noone have picked them up.

Regarding the '50 connections limit' i have asked whether you can
reproduce it with small, fully cached files.

Ingo

2002-02-16 05:43:23

by Michael E Brown

Sorry, is it just me, or does this page
http://www.redhat.com/services/techsupport/application/tux.html
not detail exactly how you would go about getting high-priority
support/bugfixes/etc?

And doesn't this page, http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla, have an entry
for 'TUX' somewhere?

Red Hat has to make some money somehow... I'm sure there is somebody on
this list that is capable of generating tux-odds-n-ends-A1.patch and
hosting it until Ingo/RedHat gets around to merging it, rather than just
whining...

--
Michael Brown

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:

> > > Please try to understand that banging my head against a problem for (now
> > > over a month) is quite annoying.
> >
> > You know what...... that's what support is for.
>
> Is it only me?
>
> Can I please get *some* sort of feedback after submitting a bug report?
>
> I thought that was what made open-source projects better...
>
> roy
>
> --
> Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, MCSE, MCNE, CLS, LCA
>
> Computers are like air conditioners.
> They stop working when you open Windows.

by Horst von Brand

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk <[email protected]> said:

[...]

> Can I please get *some* sort of feedback after submitting a bug report?

You get the bug report back via lkml, so you know hundereds of people read
it. If nobody has comments, you know there is no other interest. So you
either (try to) fix it yourself or pay somebody to do so, or stay put.
--
Horst von Brand http://counter.li.org # 22616

2002-02-19 18:24:21

by Ben Greear

Daniel Egger wrote:

> Am Fre, 2002-02-15 um 19.59 schrieb Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk:
>

>>Is it only me?
>>Can I please get *some* sort of feedback after submitting a bug report?
>>I thought that was what made open-source projects better...
>>

> You don't get the point, do you?
>
> You get what pay for and in this case it's zilch, zero, nada, nothing...
> ... No, wait, you have the source, that's more than nothing. Use it,
> Luke!
>
> When there's no developper interesting in fixing the bug you've found in
> her/his sparetime you should consider buying some help or fix it
> yourself instead of complaining.

I think the developers have a moral responsibility to make an attempt to
at least answer questions and bug reports. Even if the answer is just:
I'm too busy now...please check back later.

If you don't have time to respond for a protracted time, then it's time
to give up stewardship of the project to someone who has more resources
available....

I am just as guilty of being slow to answer as most other folks, so this
is not to cast blame. I do think your crass assumption that developers
owe nothing to the users of their code is quite wrong though.

Ben

--
Ben Greear <[email protected]> <Ben_Greear AT excite.com>
President of Candela Technologies Inc http://www.candelatech.com