2002-02-18 13:33:59

by Patrik Weiskircher

Subject: khubd zombie

killall khubd results to:
10 ? Z 0:00 [khubd <defunct>]

is this ok?
if not, how can i solve this?

Best Regards,
Patrik Weiskircher

2002-02-18 18:29:17

by John Levon

Subject: Re: khubd zombie

On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 02:33:13PM +0100, Patrik Weiskircher wrote:

> killall khubd results to:
> 10 ? Z 0:00 [khubd <defunct>]
>
> is this ok?
> if not, how can i solve this?

add reparent_to_init() in drivers/usb/hub.c (by the daemonize()).

I imagine the fix is sitting in some USB changes somewhere ...

john

--
"They eat cold meat for breakfast and make jokes about gzip."
- Rik Hemsley on KDE developers

2002-02-18 18:29:16

by Greg KH

On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 02:33:13PM +0100, Patrik Weiskircher wrote:
> killall khubd results to:
> 10 ? Z 0:00 [khubd <defunct>]
>
> is this ok?
> if not, how can i solve this?

What kernel version is this?
And why are you trying to kill khubd from userspace? Unloading the
usbcore module will do the same thing.

thanks,

greg k-h

2002-02-18 19:57:19

by Patrik Weiskircher

On Mon, 2002-02-18 at 19:14, Greg KH wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 02:33:13PM +0100, Patrik Weiskircher wrote:
> > killall khubd results to:
> > 10 ? Z 0:00 [khubd <defunct>]
> >
> > is this ok?
> > if not, how can i solve this?
>
> What kernel version is this?
> And why are you trying to kill khubd from userspace? Unloading the
> usbcore module will do the same thing.
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

I tried it with 2.4.5, 2.4.12, 2.4.17.
And I have to kill everything except init.
I need a "clean" system.

Anyway, I don't think that it should behave like that.
Killing something from userspace should not affect the kernel, or did I
miss something?

I fixed it, it works, patch file attached.

Best Regards,
Patrik

Attachments:
hub.c.patch (791.00 B)

2002-02-18 20:05:50

by Greg KH

On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 08:56:22PM +0100, Patrik Weiskircher wrote:

> I tried it with 2.4.5, 2.4.12, 2.4.17.
> And I have to kill everything except init.
> I need a "clean" system.

What? You want to also get rid of keventd, ksoftirqd_CPUX, kswapd, and
others and expect your machine to still work properly?

> Anyway, I don't think that it should behave like that.
> Killing something from userspace should not affect the kernel, or did I
> miss something?

This is a _kernel_ thread, not a userspace program running.

> I fixed it, it works, patch file attached.

And what happened to your USB devices when you kill khubd after applying
your patch?

The reparent_to_init() seems like the better thing to do.

thanks,

greg k-h

2002-02-18 20:17:02

by Patrik Weiskircher

On Mon, 2002-02-18 at 21:00, Greg KH wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 08:56:22PM +0100, Patrik Weiskircher wrote:
> >
> > I tried it with 2.4.5, 2.4.12, 2.4.17.
> > And I have to kill everything except init.
> > I need a "clean" system.
>
> What? You want to also get rid of keventd, ksoftirqd_CPUX, kswapd, and
> others and expect your machine to still work properly?

I just do a kill(-1,15);
It doesn't affect keventd, ksoftirqd_CPUX, etc. as far as i know.
Except the khubd, it keeps getting a zombie.

> > Anyway, I don't think that it should behave like that.
> > Killing something from userspace should not affect the kernel, or did I
> > miss something?
>
> This is a _kernel_ thread, not a userspace program running.

khubd is a kernel thread, yes.
But if I issue a 'killall khubd' it shouldn't become a zombie.

> > I fixed it, it works, patch file attached.
>
> And what happened to your USB devices when you kill khubd after applying
> your patch?

They work as always.

> The reparent_to_init() seems like the better thing to do.

I have to admit, I'm really new to the kernel sources.
There's still _very_ much I don't know about the kernel.
These are the first steps in kernel programming.
Sorry if it's the wrong way to do, I just try my best.

> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

Best Regards,
Patrik Weiskircher

2002-02-18 20:49:01

by Greg KH

On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 09:16:30PM +0100, Patrik Weiskircher wrote:

> khubd is a kernel thread, yes.
> But if I issue a 'killall khubd' it shouldn't become a zombie.

Agreed. I'll look into this.

> > And what happened to your USB devices when you kill khubd after applying
> > your patch?
>
> They work as always.

Try removing a device, or plugging a new one in :)

greg k-h

2002-02-18 21:06:12

by Patrik Weiskircher

On Mon, 2002-02-18 at 21:43, Greg KH wrote:

> > > And what happened to your USB devices when you kill khubd after applying
> > > your patch?
> >
> > They work as always.
>
> Try removing a device, or plugging a new one in :)

Without my patch, plugging a new one in doesn't work, after a killall
khubd. with my patch it worked without a single problem. (with ohci,
don't know if that matters.)

I'll do some more tests tomorrow morning. ;)

Thanks for your help so far,
Patrik

2002-02-22 01:22:00

by Andrew Rodland