2002-02-26 14:07:37

by Guido Volpi

Subject: oproblem with nvidia driver

it's all right: nvidia modules depend only by nvidia, but i don't understand
why a module that is perfect (or so) with 2.4.17 in 2.4.18-rc4 is no more
usabily.

E quando qualcuno mi dice che il lavoro ? ecc. ecc.,
come se fregasse rafano su una grattugia arruginita,
io, con una mano sulla spalla, gli domando soavemente:
?Voi chiedete ancora carte, quando avete un cinque??

Vladimir Majakovskij
(Qualche buona parola per certi vizi)

by DevilKin

Subject: Re: oproblem with nvidia driver

On Tuesday 26 February 2002 15:47, Guido Volpi wrote:
> it's all right: nvidia modules depend only by nvidia, but i don't
> understand why a module that is perfect (or so) with 2.4.17 in 2.4.18-rc4
> is no more usabily.

The correct thing to to is to complain to NVidia about this. They created a
closed source driver - so this is their problem.

Optionally, you could check the #nvidia channel on irc.openprojects.net for a
quick hack (or hack it yourself).

DK

2002-02-26 14:38:46

by J.A. Magallon

On 20020226 Guido Volpi wrote:
>it's all right: nvidia modules depend only by nvidia, but i don't understand
>why a module that is perfect (or so) with 2.4.17 in 2.4.18-rc4 is no more
>usabily.

I am using it in all releases since time ago. Now I run 2.4.18 with some
patches and the nvidia module is working right.

--
J.A. Magallon # Let the source be with you...
mailto:[email protected]

2002-02-26 15:11:53

by Richard B. Johnson

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Guido Volpi wrote:

> it's all right: nvidia modules depend only by nvidia, but i don't understand
> why a module that is perfect (or so) with 2.4.17 in 2.4.18-rc4 is no more
> usabily.

Because the internal structure of the kernel changed. The kernel
developers are always changing the INTERNAL kernel stuff, hopefully
to improve performance. The only promise between kernel versions
is that the EXTERNAL stuff won't change, i.e., the API. But, even
this sometimes changes, things like the stuff in /proc.

So, if you are going to install a different kernel major version
number, you are going to need compatible third-party drivers and
sometimes, even new tools to compile the kernel.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.4.1 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).

111,111,111 * 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

2002-02-26 17:40:33

by Joe

Guido Volpi wrote:

>it's all right: nvidia modules depend only by nvidia, but i don't understand
>why a module that is perfect (or so) with 2.4.17 in 2.4.18-rc4 is no more
>usabily.

I'm using 2.4.18-rc4+most of the -aa patches.
nvidia works fine for me -

There are patches available that will break
the nvidia driver without warning, but that's
the problem with a binary driver - you have
to be careful about what patches you apply,
and you will lag the bleeding edge in some
areas because of driver compatibility issues.

Joe

2002-02-26 18:31:32

by Andreas Tscharner

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002 14:47:21 +0000
Guido Volpi <[email protected]> wrote:

> it's all right: nvidia modules depend only by nvidia, but i don't understand
> why a module that is perfect (or so) with 2.4.17 in 2.4.18-rc4 is no more
> usabily.

I think you're mixing up two different things.

The NVidia drivers from NVidia will work with the 2.4.x kernel series

But
in the 2.5.x kernel series internal stuff has been changed, and therefore, the modules won't work any longer...

Regards
Andreas
--
Andreas Tscharner [email protected]
bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." -- Rich Cook

Attachments:
(No filename) (189.00 B)