2002-03-01 07:56:38

by John Weber

Subject: Linux 2.5.6-pre2 and ALSA Sound

Anyone else having trouble with ALSA YMFPCI? Everything compiles, but I
can't hear a thing (even with OSS compatibility enabled).

2002-03-01 16:48:16

by Stelian Pop

Subject: Re: Linux 2.5.6-pre2 and ALSA Sound

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 02:47:39AM -0500, John Weber wrote:

> Anyone else having trouble with ALSA YMFPCI? Everything compiles, but I
> can't hear a thing (even with OSS compatibility enabled).

It does work for me at least, on a VAIO C1VE, kernel 2.5.6-pre2.

lspci:
00:09.0 Multimedia audio controller: Yamaha Corporation YMF-754 [DS-1E Audio Controller]

.config:
CONFIG_SND=m
CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER=m
CONFIG_SND_OSSEMUL=y
CONFIG_SND_MIXER_OSS=m
CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS=m
CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER_OSS=m

Stelian.
--
Stelian Pop <[email protected]>
Alcove - http://www.alcove.com

2002-03-02 17:45:17

by Ookhoi

Stelian Pop wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 02:47:39AM -0500, John Weber wrote:
>
> > Anyone else having trouble with ALSA YMFPCI? Everything compiles,
> > but I can't hear a thing (even with OSS compatibility enabled).
>
> It does work for me at least, on a VAIO C1VE, kernel 2.5.6-pre2.

Can you also record sound via the microphone?

> lspci:
> 00:09.0 Multimedia audio controller: Yamaha Corporation YMF-754 [DS-1E Audio Controller]
>
> .config:
> CONFIG_SND=m
> CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER=m
> CONFIG_SND_OSSEMUL=y
> CONFIG_SND_MIXER_OSS=m
> CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS=m
> CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER_OSS=m

2002-03-03 06:47:56

by John Weber

Stelian Pop wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 02:47:39AM -0500, John Weber wrote:
>

>>Anyone else having trouble with ALSA YMFPCI? Everything compiles, but I
>>can't hear a thing (even with OSS compatibility enabled).
>>

> It does work for me at least, on a VAIO C1VE, kernel 2.5.6-pre2.
>
> lspci:
> 00:09.0 Multimedia audio controller: Yamaha Corporation YMF-754 [DS-1E Audio Controller]
>
> .config:
> CONFIG_SND=m
> CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER=m
> CONFIG_SND_OSSEMUL=y
> CONFIG_SND_MIXER_OSS=m
> CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS=m
> CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER_OSS=m
>
> Stelian.

It does not work for me. It appears to be working (the apps look like
they are playing an MP3, but no sound).

.config
CONFIG_SND=y
CONFIG_SND_OSSEMUL=y
CONFIG_SND_MIXER_OSS=y
CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS=y
CONFIG_SND_YMFPCI=y

lspci:
Multimedia audio controller: Yamaha Corporation YMF-744B [DS-1S Audio
Controller] (rev 02)

(And I know that the default mixer settings are mute... blah,blah).

Any suggestions?

--
(o- j o h n e w e b e r
//\ http://www.linuxhq.com/people/weber/

2002-03-04 09:19:24

by Stelian Pop

On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 06:44:50PM +0100, Ookhoi wrote:

> > > Anyone else having trouble with ALSA YMFPCI? Everything compiles,
> > > but I can't hear a thing (even with OSS compatibility enabled).
> >
> > It does work for me at least, on a VAIO C1VE, kernel 2.5.6-pre2.
>
> Can you also record sound via the microphone?

Yes.

Stelian.
--
Stelian Pop <[email protected]>
Alcove - http://www.alcove.com

2002-03-04 10:05:18

by Stelian Pop

On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 01:46:31AM -0500, John Weber wrote:

> It does not work for me. It appears to be working (the apps look like
> they are playing an MP3, but no sound).
>
> .config
> CONFIG_SND=y
> CONFIG_SND_OSSEMUL=y
> CONFIG_SND_MIXER_OSS=y
> CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS=y
> CONFIG_SND_YMFPCI=y

Tried again this time compiling the drivers in the kernel (same .config
as yours) and it still works ok.

> lspci:
> Multimedia audio controller: Yamaha Corporation YMF-744B [DS-1S Audio
> Controller] (rev 02)

Then it could be the slight chipset difference...

Stelian.