2002-03-04 17:32:59

by Hirling Endre

Subject: recommended gigabit card for dot1q?

Hello,

I have to upgrade one of our linux-based routers to gigabit. What GE
card do you recommend for using with dot1q vlans? I tried a D-Link one
(DGE550SX, based on a Level1 chip) and an Intel one that works with the
e1000 driver, but I couldn't set up vlans properly with either of these.

thanks in advance
endre

2002-03-04 17:45:51

by Ben Greear

Subject: Re: recommended gigabit card for dot1q?

Check out the VLAN mailing list archives...there have
been some success stories there with gigabit nics:

http://www.candelatech.com/~greear/vlan.html

Hirling Endre wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have to upgrade one of our linux-based routers to gigabit. What GE
> card do you recommend for using with dot1q vlans? I tried a D-Link one
> (DGE550SX, based on a Level1 chip) and an Intel one that works with the
> e1000 driver, but I couldn't set up vlans properly with either of these.
>
> thanks in advance
> endre
>
> -

Ben Greear <[email protected]> <Ben_Greear AT excite.com>
President of Candela Technologies Inc http://www.candelatech.com
ScryMUD: http://scry.wanfear.com http://scry.wanfear.com/~greear

2002-03-04 17:47:01

by Thomas Langås

Hirling Endre:
> I have to upgrade one of our linux-based routers to gigabit. What GE
> card do you recommend for using with dot1q vlans? I tried a D-Link one
> (DGE550SX, based on a Level1 chip) and an Intel one that works with the
> e1000 driver, but I couldn't set up vlans properly with either of these.

If you follow the threads on this list, there has been some discussions
regarding VLANs and GE. Try theese threads:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=101524429100394&w=2
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=101481826920095&w=2

--
Thomas

2002-03-04 17:59:59

by Chris Leech

Endre,

Could you tell me the version of e1000 and the PRO/1000 model you were
testing? This is the first report I've heard of e1000 not working with
vlans. If the card is in a running system, the information from lspci would
be great. If not, the 9 digit part number on the card will work (on the
white sticker with a barcode, has a hyphen after the first 3 digits
xxxxxx-xxx).

thanks

Chris

--