2002-03-09 22:16:35

by Brian Litzinger

Subject: loading ./cryptfs.o will taint the kernel

I have long thought that I understood the reasoning behind "taint" and
binary drivers.

However, cryptfs is available with complete source code, so I presume
the "undebug-able" argument doesn't apply.

So what is the big deal?

--
Brian Litzinger <[email protected]>

Copyright (c) 2002 By Brian Litzinger, All Rights Reserved

2002-03-09 22:23:56

by Alan

Subject: Re: loading ./cryptfs.o will taint the kernel

> I have long thought that I understood the reasoning behind "taint" and
> binary drivers.
>
> However, cryptfs is available with complete source code, so I presume
> the "undebug-able" argument doesn't apply.
>
> So what is the big deal?

Sounds like someone put the wrong MODULE_LICENSE() tag on it. An LGPL item
combined with a GPL work gives you a GPL result (see the LGPL notes on the
matter). So the kernel module tag ought to be GPL