2002-03-22 01:53:38

by Art Haas

Subject: ALI15X3 and linux-2.4.19-pre3-ac5 not cooperating

Hi.

I'm trying out the latest -ac patch, and I can't seem to get
things to work when I use the alim15x3 driver. During the
boot-up, the kernel hangs at the point where the partitions
are examined. Configuring a kernel without the driver allows
me to boot up, though with the message that the driver
wasn't compiled in ...

Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 6.31
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
ALI15X3: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 58
ALI15X3: detected chipset, but driver not compiled in!
PCI: Hardcoded IRQ 14 for device 00:0b.0

I posted an article about this last week, and was able to
duplicate the problem with a kernel built by a 2.95.4 (Debian
prerelease 20010810) compiler, where I've been normally
using 3.0.5 (updated from CVS regularly). The current
kernel was built with the 2.95.4 compiler.

As before, the kernel gets stuck after printing ...

ALI15X3: chipset rev 32
ALI15X3: not 100% native mode, will probe irqs later
ide0: BM-DMA at 0xffa0-0xffa7, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio
ide1: BM-DMA at 0xffa8-0xffaf, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7, 0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177, 0x376 on irq 15
hda: 6303024 sectors (3227MB) w/128 kiB Cache, CHS=781/128/63 (U)DMA
hdc: 16514064 sectors (8455MB) w/512 kiB Cache, CHS=16383/16/63 (U)DMA

... then come some messages like ...

ide_dmaproc: chipset supported ide_dma_timeout func only: 14
hda: status error: staus = 0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest}
hda: interrupt lost
hda: drive not ready for command

I saw that there were some modifications to this driver in the latest
-ac patch, but the kernel doesn't boot right for me yet.

Suggestions, tips, patches to try welcomed. My ".config" will hopefully
be attached ... maybe I've overlooked setting something that another
pair of eyes can spot. The file is what was used when building the
failing kernel.

Other than the driver problem, the latest -ac patches have been running
fine on my machine, so thanks to everyone working on the kernel and AC
for making the patches available.
-- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Attachments:
(No filename) (2.24 kB)
2419p3ac5.config (14.78 kB)
Download all attachments