2002-03-27 21:41:28

by Michal Jaegermann

Subject: more eepro100 + 2.2.18 + laptop problems

In the second decade of February there was a thread, started by
posting by CaT <[email protected]> with a subject "eepro100 + 2.2.18 +
laptop problems" which pretty well explains what it was about. :-)

Andrey Savochkin replied with a patch which added a few delays
and which apparently took care about that case. Just as an extra
data point I have now here another laptop for which dmi dump starts
like that:

Handle 0x0000
DMI type 0, 19 bytes.
BIOS Information Block
Vendor: ACER
Version: V3.3 R01-A2j EN
Release: 08/10/2001
BIOS base: 0xF0000
ROM size: 448K
Capabilities:
Flags: 0x000000007F399F90
Handle 0x0100
DMI type 1, 25 bytes.
System Information Block
Vendor: Acer
Product: TravelMate 740
Version: -1

and which has built-in ethernet card with a PCI id '8086:1031' for
which 'lspci -vv' has this to say:

02:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation: Unknown device 1031 (rev 41)
Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI]: Unknown device 1017
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-

but this is some variant of eepro100. :-)

I tried this card with a driver from "kernel-2.4.18-0.4". This is
latest "public beta" kernel from Red Hat and eepro100 driver there
incorporates the whole patch in question with an exception (for some
reasons other than forgetfulness?) of one "inl(ioaddr + SCBPort);" in
speedo_tx_timeout() function right after
"outl(PortReset, ioaddr + SCBPort);"

Although this version is quite an improvement over earlier ones which
were plain unusuable it is still quite easy to lock a network by doing
simply ssh to the laptop and doing "normal things" for a while. OTOH
I did copies over NFS of directories with a size of a gig and a half
and that was ok. Once a network is gone only 'ifup eth0; ifdown eth0'
seems to be a way to wake it up again.

With 'e100' driver compiled from Intel sources this card "just works".
The only possible clue I see is "Sleep mode is enabled. This is not
recommended." line from 'eepro100-diag -ee ....' but this shows up
with both drivers and 'e100' does not seem to mind.

Michal