2002-03-26 23:16:20

by Emmanuel Michon

Subject: SMP motherboards (760 MPX chipset) and SMP howto

Hi,

I'm sorry to write here for a problem only about SMP: there used to be
a linux-smp mailing list but it seems it's not active anymore.

It seems AMD Athlon SMP spec is compatible with Intel's one; can
someone report that the A7M266-D motherboard with the 760 MPX chipset
is running fine linux SMP?

People reported that this combo works properly even with two Athlon XP's
instead of MP's: how do you force this motherboard into SMP mode?

I'm also looking for a ``howto'' explaining where non-SMP-aware module
code will most probably crash a SMP box, it seems there is no such
thing.

SMP gurus must have a discussion room more specific than linux-kernel
mailing list at some hidden place!

Sincerely yours,

--
Emmanuel Michon
Chef de projet

2002-03-26 23:38:30

by Alan

Subject: Re: SMP motherboards (760 MPX chipset) and SMP howto

> It seems AMD Athlon SMP spec is compatible with Intel's one; can
> someone report that the A7M266-D motherboard with the 760 MPX chipset
> is running fine linux SMP?

When you get past the BIOS problems it works a treat. Just don't believe
the manual or trust the BIOS. Set the BIOS to MP 1.1 not MP 1.4 too,
and don't put a 33Mhz card in a 66MHz slot unless you have the clock
jumpers set to software not fixed (ie how the manual doesnt recommend)

Once you deal with those bios/doc problems its a really nice board. You
want 2.4.19pre3-ac or 2.4.19pre4 for IDE performance.

> People reported that this combo works properly even with two Athlon XP's
> instead of MP's: how do you force this motherboard into SMP mode?

Two older XP cpus normally just work (but remember its not tested cpus then)
The new ones require you modify the athlon mounting to bridge a laser cut

Alan

2002-03-27 14:24:06

by Bill Davidsen

On 27 Mar 2002, Emmanuel Michon wrote:

> I'm sorry to write here for a problem only about SMP: there used to be
> a linux-smp mailing list but it seems it's not active anymore.

I, too, am (was?) a member of that list. I believe it has died because
SMP is mainline now, instead of cutting edge. Discussion is probably
appropriate here more than anywhere else.

> It seems AMD Athlon SMP spec is compatible with Intel's one; can
> someone report that the A7M266-D motherboard with the 760 MPX chipset
> is running fine linux SMP?

There is at least one significant difference between MP and MPX
chipsets, or at least there appears to be one from board specs. Both seem
to work if you can get part the BIOS, but one is faster, or cheaper, or
supports more memory. I did an eval of boards the other day and noted that
there was an issue, but the paperwork is not here.

> People reported that this combo works properly even with two Athlon XP's
> instead of MP's: how do you force this motherboard into SMP mode?

You put two CPUs in it (duh). Note that not all XP processors are SMP
enabled, you need to do hardware hacking on the new ones, which is fine if
you like hacking but hardly worth risking a chip just to save a few bucks.

> I'm also looking for a ``howto'' explaining where non-SMP-aware module
> code will most probably crash a SMP box, it seems there is no such
> thing.

A non-SMP module can crash an SMP kernel at any time, the where and how
seem irrelevant. Why would you do that?

> SMP gurus must have a discussion room more specific than linux-kernel
> mailing list at some hidden place!

AFAIK, not. Don't really see the need. Let us know if you find a list with
useful content, however.

--
bill davidsen <[email protected]>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc

by Hank Leininger

On 2002-03-27, Bill Davidsen <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 27 Mar 2002, Emmanuel Michon wrote:

> > I'm sorry to write here for a problem only about SMP: there used to
> > be a linux-smp mailing list but it seems it's not active anymore.

> I, too, am (was?) a member of that list. I believe it has died
> because SMP is mainline now, instead of cutting edge. Discussion is
> probably appropriate here more than anywhere else.

What are you guys talking about? ;)

The linux-smp list is alive and well. It was hosted by vger.rutgers.edu
along with l-k and others; perhaps that death is what you're thinking of?
linux-smp is avail now from vger.kernel.org. It's not terribly high
volume, but various notes-comparing about hardware compatability, etc goes
on steadily.

[ ObShamelessPlug: archives of it at:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-smp&r=1&w=2 ]

--
Hank Leininger <[email protected]>

2002-04-14 07:35:26

by Maxwell Spangler

On 27 Mar 2002, Emmanuel Michon wrote:

> I'm sorry to write here for a problem only about SMP: there used to be
> a linux-smp mailing list but it seems it's not active anymore.

The linux-smp list was active when SMP issues needed discussion because the
code and the hardware was less mature. These days both code and hardware have
matured and most notable issues effecting SMP are discussed here.

> It seems AMD Athlon SMP spec is compatible with Intel's one; can
> someone report that the A7M266-D motherboard with the 760 MPX chipset
> is running fine linux SMP?

I have a Tyan S2466N which is the 760 MPX chipset. Configuration is:

Tyan 2466N MPX Chipset
Two Athlon MP 1800+ (1530Mhz chips, matched steppings)
Matrox G450 AGP video
Opti USB 1.1 PCI card
Promise Ultra66 EIDE card
Ensoniq AudioPCI (ES1370 chip) sound card
Two Crucial Technologies PC2100 ECC 512M DIMMs (registered)
IBM DeskStar 22GXP EIDE drive
Antec Performance Plus 880 case (430W power supply)
EIDE cdrom
3.5" Floppy drive

I've been using this for about 10 days now with no significant problems--all
issues have been related to this hardware/kernel/OS configuration and have
been worked out. Performance is very good compared to the dual Pentium 2 -
400 Mhz processor system this new box is replacing.

I recommend using Athlon MP processors, retail box, not Athlon XP and not OEM.
It's worth a small amount more money to know that you have quality equipment
and that any issues that do develop will not be because you bought poor
quality hardware. The retail processors have a 3 year warranty on them, and I
think this is important with today's hot-running, sensitive processors. I've
already had one AMD Athlon 1000 Thunderbird replaced under warranty and was
very happy with AMD's handling of it.

> SMP gurus must have a discussion room more specific than linux-kernel
> mailing list at some hidden place!

If you have good topics to discuss, please post on here or linux-smp list.
People are watching in both places.

-- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxwell Spangler Save Futurama!
Program Writer Sign the petition!
Greenbelt, Maryland, U.S.A. http://www.gotfuturama.com/
Washington D.C. Metropolitan Area

2002-04-14 10:06:15

by Christian HOFFMANN

On 14 Apr 2002 at 3:35, Maxwell Spangler wrote:

> On 27 Mar 2002, Emmanuel Michon wrote:
>
> > can someone report that the A7M266-D motherboard with the 760 MPX chipset
> > is running fine linux SMP?

I have for one month an asus A7m266D running just fine under Gentoo
linux with a 2.4.18 SMP kernel with XFS. (home build kernel)
Configuration is:
Asus A7M266D
Two Athlon MP1900+
Asus Geforce 3 (8200 Deluxe)
Sis PCI Video card (dual screen under Win and linux)
Asus USB2 card
Two PC2100 Non-ECC 256M DIMMs (registered)
Four WD 80Go in Raid 0-1 on a Abit HotRod 100 card (for win2000)
Two IBM 45Go for linux
Antec Performance SX 1040 (400W power supply)

Christian HOFFMANN <[email protected]>