2002-03-28 15:17:10

by Luuk van der Duim

Subject: [Devfs related] devfsd servise start does not complete

Hi,

During boot services are being started and 'devfsd', the first service,
does not finish on recent 2.5 kernels.

My devfsd version is: v1.3.25
(Which works fine with 2.4.x kernels.)

I have tried earlier 2.5 kernels like 2.5.2 but they had 'other
problems'.

2.5.6-dj2 seemed to work fine.
(I ran into other problems regarding my mouse but that is another
story..)

2.5.7-vanille: devfsd does not finish
2.5.7-dj1: devfsd does not finish
2.5.7-dj2: devfsd does not finish

Attached you will find my config file.

Yours,
Luuk van der Duim

Attachments:
dot_config (19.03 kB)

2002-03-28 18:53:08

by Frederik Nosi

I can confirm this for 2.5.7 vanilla
I havent had the time to compile the kernel witout devfs support,
maybe that is souficient. However my config is here:
http://hypermail.spyroid.com/linux-kernel/latestweek/0298.html

Please CC me bacause I'm not subscribed to the mailing list
Thanks

2002-03-30 23:12:26

by Richard Gooch

Luuk van der Duim writes:
> During boot services are being started and 'devfsd', the first service,
> does not finish on recent 2.5 kernels.
>
> My devfsd version is: v1.3.25
> (Which works fine with 2.4.x kernels.)
>
> I have tried earlier 2.5 kernels like 2.5.2 but they had 'other
> problems'.
>
> 2.5.6-dj2 seemed to work fine.
> (I ran into other problems regarding my mouse but that is another
> story..)
>
> 2.5.7-vanille: devfsd does not finish
> 2.5.7-dj1: devfsd does not finish
> 2.5.7-dj2: devfsd does not finish

Interesting. How about plain 2.5.6: does devfsd hang there as well?
Also check 2.4.19-pre5 both with and without devfs-patch-v199.11.
Since there appears to have been some change that has broken things,
you'll need to narrow down the particular pre-patch that caused the
breakage. Also, I'll need to see a list of processes currently running
when the hang occurs, plus an strace of devfsd.

Regards,

Richard....
Permanent: [email protected]
Current: [email protected]