2002-04-02 14:44:14

by Louis Adamich

Subject: 2.5.7 keyboard problem

I'm having a problem getting my keyboard to work on 2.5.7. 2.5.5
compiled and works correctly for me. 2.5.7 compiles with no errors as
well as all modules compiling with no errors. No matter what
combination of config params I try I can't get the system to recognize
keystrokes. If I boot to level 3 I just see nothing when I type. If I
boot into X I can move the mouse around until I press a key and then the
mouse freezes. The machine is still running as I can telnet into it
from another machine. I also tried downloading and applying the dj
patch. Same symptoms.

Machine is an Althon XP 1800+, soyo dragon plus motherboard, ATI 128
video card, 40 gig ide hard drive.

What info do I need to post to get some help debugging this thing?

Thanks,

Louis Adamich

2002-04-02 15:39:44

by Bob Miller

Subject: Re: 2.5.7 keyboard problem

On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 06:43:50AM -0500, Louis Adamich wrote:
> I'm having a problem getting my keyboard to work on 2.5.7. 2.5.5
> compiled and works correctly for me. 2.5.7 compiles with no errors as
> well as all modules compiling with no errors. No matter what
> combination of config params I try I can't get the system to recognize
> keystrokes. If I boot to level 3 I just see nothing when I type. If I
> boot into X I can move the mouse around until I press a key and then the
> mouse freezes. The machine is still running as I can telnet into it
> from another machine. I also tried downloading and applying the dj
> patch. Same symptoms.
>
> Machine is an Althon XP 1800+, soyo dragon plus motherboard, ATI 128
> video card, 40 gig ide hard drive.
>
> What info do I need to post to get some help debugging this thing?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Louis Adamich

Look at:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=101751890301820&w=2

This should get you pointed in the right direction.

--
Bob Miller Email: [email protected]
Open Source Development Lab Phone: 503.626.2455 Ext. 17

2002-04-02 22:25:40

by Louis Adamich

I saw that already,

Here is a snippet from my .config

#
# Input I/O drivers
#
# CONFIG_GAMEPORT is not set
CONFIG_SOUND_GAMEPORT=y
CONFIG_SERIO=y
CONFIG_SERIO_I8042=y
CONFIG_I8042_REG_BASE=60
CONFIG_I8042_KBD_IRQ=1
CONFIG_I8042_AUX_IRQ=12
# CONFIG_SERIO_SERPORT is not set
# CONFIG_SERIO_CT82C710 is not set
# CONFIG_SERIO_PARKBD is not set

#
# Input Device Drivers
#
CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBOARD=y
CONFIG_KEYBOARD_ATKBD=y
# CONFIG_KEYBOARD_SUNKBD is not set
# CONFIG_KEYBOARD_PS2SERKBD is not set
# CONFIG_KEYBOARD_XTKBD is not set
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSE=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2=m
# CONFIG_MOUSE_SERIAL is not set
# CONFIG_MOUSE_INPORT is not set
# CONFIG_MOUSE_LOGIBM is not set
# CONFIG_MOUSE_PC110PAD is not set
# CONFIG_INPUT_JOYSTICK is not set
# CONFIG_INPUT_TOUCHSCREEN is not set

>On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 06:43:50AM -0500, Louis Adamich wrote:
>
>>I'm having a problem getting my keyboard to work on 2.5.7. 2.5.5
>>compiled and works correctly for me. 2.5.7 compiles with no errors as
>>well as all modules compiling with no errors. No matter what
>>combination of config params I try I can't get the system to recognize
>>keystrokes. If I boot to level 3 I just see nothing when I type. If I
>>boot into X I can move the mouse around until I press a key and then the
>>mouse freezes. The machine is still running as I can telnet into it
>>from another machine. I also tried downloading and applying the dj
>>patch. Same symptoms.
>>
>>Machine is an Althon XP 1800+, soyo dragon plus motherboard, ATI 128
>>video card, 40 gig ide hard drive.
>>
>>What info do I need to post to get some help debugging this thing?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Louis Adamich
>>

>Look at:
>
>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=101751890301820&w=2
>
>This should get you pointed in the right direction.

2002-04-15 16:47:24

by Tomas Szepe

> I saw that already,
> Here is a snippet from my .config

Jup, I've got to confirm this: PS/2 keyboards won't work on my
VIA KT133A-based board on both 2.5.8 vanilla and -dj2/3.
(no, not even IBM Model M. :D)

an excerpt from the 2.5.8 .config in question:
.
.
CONFIG_INPUT=y
CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBDEV=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y
.
.
CONFIG_SERIO=y
CONFIG_SERIO_SERPORT=y
.

t.

pub 1024d/8e316a84 2002-01-29 tomas szepe <[email protected]>
openpgp f/print 2955 2eea c4b8 b09e 7ae1 4d5d 68e3 d606 8e31 6a84

2002-04-15 18:12:06

by Tomas Szepe

> > I saw that already,
> > Here is a snippet from my .config
> Jup, I've got to confirm this: PS/2 keyboards won't work on my
> VIA KT133A-based board on both 2.5.8 vanilla and -dj2/3.
> (no, not even IBM Model M. :D)

just to complement the former post: a "dmesg|grep -i keyb" reveals:

keyboard: Timeout - AT keyboard not present?(ed)
keyboard: Timeout - AT keyboard not present?(f4)

t.

pub 1024d/8e316a84 2002-01-29 tomas szepe <[email protected]>
openpgp f/print 2955 2eea c4b8 b09e 7ae1 4d5d 68e3 d606 8e31 6a84

2002-04-15 19:04:46

by James Simmons

> > I saw that already,
> > Here is a snippet from my .config
>
> Jup, I've got to confirm this: PS/2 keyboards won't work on my
> VIA KT133A-based board on both 2.5.8 vanilla and -dj2/3.
> (no, not even IBM Model M. :D)
>
> an excerpt from the 2.5.8 .config in question:
> .
> .
> CONFIG_INPUT=y
> CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBDEV=y
> CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y
> .
> .
> CONFIG_SERIO=y
> CONFIG_SERIO_SERPORT=y

Wrong config for DJ tree. Here is what you need for PS/2 input keyboard
support.

CONFIG_SERIO=y
CONFIG_SERIO_I8042=y
CONFIG_I8042_REG_BASE=60
CONFIG_I8042_KBD_IRQ=1
CONFIG_I8042_AUX_IRQ=12

Also don't forget

CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBOARD=y
CONFIG_KEYBOARD_ATKBD=y

CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSE=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2=y

2002-04-15 19:07:21

by Tomas Szepe

> > an excerpt from the 2.5.8 .config in question:
> > .
> > .
> > CONFIG_INPUT=y
> > CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBDEV=y
> > CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y
> > .
> > .
> > CONFIG_SERIO=y
> > CONFIG_SERIO_SERPORT=y
>
> Wrong config for DJ tree. Here is what you need for PS/2 input keyboard
> support.
>
> CONFIG_SERIO=y
> CONFIG_SERIO_I8042=y
> CONFIG_I8042_REG_BASE=60
> CONFIG_I8042_KBD_IRQ=1
> CONFIG_I8042_AUX_IRQ=12
>
> Also don't forget
>
> CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBOARD=y
> CONFIG_KEYBOARD_ATKBD=y
>
> CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSE=y
> CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2=y

Yes, I'm aware, maybe I should have included the -dj .config as well.
Same results I'm afraid.

T.

2002-04-15 19:24:22

by Narayan Desai

I am experiencing a similar problem, though my keyboard works, but no
mouse is detected. I have built a 2.5.7-dj4 kernel with the supplied
config on an IBM thinkpad 600E (ps2 mouse, etc)
-nld

>> > an excerpt from the 2.5.8 .config in question: . .
>> > CONFIG_INPUT=y CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBDEV=y CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y .
>> > . CONFIG_SERIO=y CONFIG_SERIO_SERPORT=y
>>
>> Wrong config for DJ tree. Here is what you need for PS/2 input
>> keyboard support.
>>
>> CONFIG_SERIO=y CONFIG_SERIO_I8042=y CONFIG_I8042_REG_BASE=60
>> CONFIG_I8042_KBD_IRQ=1 CONFIG_I8042_AUX_IRQ=12
>>
>> Also don't forget
>>
>> CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBOARD=y CONFIG_KEYBOARD_ATKBD=y
>>
>> CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSE=y CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2=y

tomas> Yes, I'm aware, maybe I should have included the -dj .config as
tomas> well. Same results I'm afraid.

tomas> T.

tomas> - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe
tomas> linux-kernel" in the body of a message to
tomas> [email protected] More majordomo info at
tomas> http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ
tomas> at http://www.tux.org/lkml/