2002-03-21 16:04:49

by nicholas black

Subject: sis 5591 ide in 2.4.19-pre3 consumes souls

yesterday night i excitedly came home to my shiny new -pre3, to discover
that on boot, all ide devices timeout on DMA requests. i'm using the
sis ide driver on my sis 5591 controller, which is integrated onto an
amptron 810 motherboard.

i haven't had a chance to capture exact logs yet, but can do testing
tonight. exact behavior follows:

rebooted with 2.4.19-pre3-jl11 (preemptive; jl11 is a patch to
networking code that should play no role here). hard drive hda and
cdrom's hdc,hdd are detected. upon partition check of hda1, the system
hung for roughly 20 seconds, after which it was declared dma commands
had timed out. this was repeated for all other partitions on the drive,
after which the kernel panicked, unable to mount the root fs.

this behavior continued to manifest over any number of reboots.
interestingly, i could get my old 2.4.18-jl11 (non-preempt) to work
fine, but only after a hard power down. reboots left it in the same
situation, but not logging nearly so much to the console :).

--
nicholas black ([email protected])
"c has types for a reason. c++ improved the type system for a reason. perl

2002-03-21 16:38:02

by Lionel Bouton

Subject: Re: sis 5591 ide in 2.4.19-pre3 consumes souls

nicholas black wrote:

>yesterday night i excitedly came home to my shiny new -pre3, to discover
>that on boot, all ide devices timeout on DMA requests. i'm using the
>sis ide driver on my sis 5591 controller, which is integrated onto an
>amptron 810 motherboard.

There's definitely a problem with some UDMA 33 chipsets. I'll ask SiS
for 5591 chipset info RSN and look into this as soon as I find some time.

>i haven't had a chance to capture exact logs yet, but can do testing
>tonight. exact behavior follows:
>
>rebooted with 2.4.19-pre3-jl11 (preemptive; jl11 is a patch to
>networking code that should play no role here). hard drive hda and
>cdrom's hdc,hdd are detected. upon partition check of hda1, the system
>hung for roughly 20 seconds, after which it was declared dma commands
>had timed out. this was repeated for all other partitions on the drive,
>after which the kernel panicked, unable to mount the root fs.
>
>this behavior continued to manifest over any number of reboots.
>interestingly, i could get my old 2.4.18-jl11 (non-preempt) to work
>fine, but only after a hard power down. reboots left it in the same
>situation, but not logging nearly so much to the console :).

Could you send us the output of "lspci -vxxx" with 2.4.18-jl11 and boot
logs of 2.4.19-pre3-jl11 please ?

Did you "make oldconfig" on the 2.4.19-pre3-jl11 sources with the your
old 2.4.18-jl11 .config or made a new config from scratch ?
If so assuming you didn't modify your source trees could you send us the
result of :
diff <2.4.18-jl11_tree>/.config <2.4.19-pre3-jl11_tree>/.config | grep
"^. CONFIG"

LB.

2002-03-21 17:19:06

by nicholas black

In article <[email protected]> you wrote:
> There's definitely a problem with some UDMA 33 chipsets. I'll ask SiS
> for 5591 chipset info RSN and look into this as soon as I find some time.

i look forward to it :). in light of this problem (i've recieved mail from
one michal dorocinski echoing this behavior and referencing an -ac patch; i've
asked him to mail it here), will this driver stay in .19 for the time being?

> Could you send us the output of "lspci -vxxx" with 2.4.18-jl11 and boot
> logs of 2.4.19-pre3-jl11 please ?

i shall do as much tonight, when i'm at the machine.

> Did you "make oldconfig" on the 2.4.19-pre3-jl11 sources with the your
> old 2.4.18-jl11 .config or made a new config from scratch ?

of course; i don't have time for the latter :). i just recreated this, and
here were applicable questions from oldconfig, and my responses:

no to auto-geometry resizing support
no to ide taskfile access
no to force enable legacy hosts to dma
no to dma only
no to noop elevator

the previous setup enabled generic pci ide chipsets, sharing of pci ide
interrupts, generic pci bus-master, use dma by default, and sis5513. nothing
else regarding ide chipset support/bugfixes is enabled.

> If so assuming you didn't modify your source trees could you send us the
> result of :
> diff <2.4.18-jl11_tree>/.config <2.4.19-pre3-jl11_tree>/.config | grep
> "^. CONFIG"

using said simulated .configs:

[ouzo](1) $ diff linux-2.4.18/.config linux-2.4.19-pre3/.config | grep "^.
CONFIG"
> CONFIG_X86_MCE=y
< CONFIG_PACKET_MMAP_FILTER=y
< CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ADMA=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ADMA=y
[ouzo](0) $

one other perhaps relevant piece of information: this is not the finest hard
drive in the world; some months ago i broke off the grounding 40 pin. that
line of the ide cable is now spliced off, and wrapped around a screw :).

--
nicholas black ([email protected])
"c has types for a reason. c++ improved the type system for a reason. perl
and php programs have run-time failures for a reason." - lkml

2002-03-21 17:34:09

by Michal Dorocinski

> In article <[email protected]> you wrote:
> > There's definitely a problem with some UDMA 33 chipsets. I'll ask SiS
> > for 5591 chipset info RSN and look into this as soon as I find some time.
>
> i look forward to it :). in light of this problem (i've recieved mail from
> one michal dorocinski echoing this behavior and referencing an -ac patch; i've
> asked him to mail it here), will this driver stay in .19 for the time being?

Yes.
As I found it in -pre3 the result was: timeouts and some debugs (Lionel has the
log) and no partition table was found (BadCRC messages from hda). It worked
then after a day or two when -ac1 or -ac2 was found so I think it was solved.
I will check -pre4 if it work.

Btw. I have a question... will an SiS 6326 AGP will be supported anyhow by agp
gart ? It is supported by Xfree driver but no xv nor AGP or dri acceleration
as I can see is realy used. It also has some wired problems with colorded dots
(blue and red).
But this is maybe a subject to AGP/SiS VGA/XFREE drivers maintaners :)

Greetings

Zwierz

--
The Shadow, The Darkness, The Fear...
Forever Alone Immortal...

2002-04-02 13:23:19

by Michal Dorocinski

Hello,

As I wrote I tryed 2.4.19-pre5 on my SIS motherboard nad 5513 IDE chipset and
again I got the same problems. The -ac series of 2.4.19-pre4 is good and works
fine.

Greetings
Michal 'Zwerz' Dorocinski

--
The Shadow, The Darkness, The Fear...
Forever Alone Immortal...

2002-04-02 13:48:44

by Lionel Bouton

On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 03:17:57PM +0200, Michal Dorocinski wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As I wrote I tryed 2.4.19-pre5 on my SIS motherboard nad 5513 IDE chipset and
> again I got the same problems. The -ac series of 2.4.19-pre4 is good and works
> fine.

Marcelo, Alan, do you want me to provide a patch against pre5 or is the
latest sis5513 patch in AC's tree already scheduled for inclusion in Marcelo's
tree ?

Reminder: 2.4.19-pre5's sis5513.c holds 2 show-stoppers :
- incorrect SiS730 support,
- for most chipsets : lack of proper UDMA init if the BIOS doesn't setup
UDMA itself.

The latest is the one bitting Michal IIRC.

LB.