2002-04-10 22:31:58

by Guillaume Boissiere

Subject: [STATUS] Spring cleanup

These four items have been marked as Ready or Pending for a while and yet nothing
has happened for the last 2 months so I'm planning to change their status in the
next status update.
Comments? Objections?

-- Guillaume

o Ready Add hardware sensors drivers (lm_sensors team)

o Ready New kernel config system: CML2 (Eric Raymond)

o Ready Read-Copy Update Mutual Exclusion (Dipankar Sarma, Rusty Russell, Andrea Arcangeli, LSE
Team)
before inclusion or there is objection from Linus?

o Pending Finalize new device naming convention (Linus Torvalds)
--> ??? I am not sure what is going on here -- it seems Linus is waiting for someone to step up and
submit a patch following the new device naming convention he vaguely outlined a while back?

2002-04-11 00:01:15

by Jeff Garzik

Subject: Re: [STATUS] Spring cleanup

Guillaume Boissiere wrote:
> o Ready New kernel config system: CML2 (Eric Raymond)

I would say kbuild-2.5 appears to be beta and getting ready for Linus
submittal.

Eric Raymond's CML2 has little chance of getting in the kernel, when he
has consistently ignored threads of discussion relating to CML2,
specifically feedback from Linus, myself, and others... If he updates
his CML2 per feedback, _then_ I would consider it beta and ready for
inclusion. Otherwise it is IMO D.O.A.

Jeff

2002-04-11 02:06:34

by Greg KH

On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 06:31:46PM -0400, Guillaume Boissiere wrote:

> o Pending Finalize new device naming convention (Linus Torvalds)
> --> ??? I am not sure what is going on here -- it seems Linus is
> waiting for someone to step up and submit a patch following the new
> device naming convention he vaguely outlined a while back?

People are slowly working on this, so I'd mark it "in development /
planning" or something like that.

thanks,

greg k-h

2002-04-11 04:22:17

by Erik Tews

On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 06:31:46PM -0400, Guillaume Boissiere wrote:
> These four items have been marked as Ready or Pending for a while and yet nothing
> has happened for the last 2 months so I'm planning to change their status in the
> next status update.
> Comments? Objections?
>
> o Ready Add hardware sensors drivers (lm_sensors team)

Does the lm_sensor-team has some more information about these
thinkpad-problems? I only know that they are announcing that you should
not use their software with ibm-thinkpads since more then a year and
that they will give you some more detailed information soon. The Problem
is of course that I own such a thinkpad.

2002-04-11 20:06:16

by Tim Pepper

On Wed 10 Apr at 19:03:54 -0700 [email protected] done said:
> On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 06:31:46PM -0400, Guillaume Boissiere wrote:
> >
> > o Pending Finalize new device naming convention (Linus Torvalds)
> > --> ??? I am not sure what is going on here -- it seems Linus is
> > waiting for someone to step up and submit a patch following the new
> > device naming convention he vaguely outlined a while back?
>
> People are slowly working on this, so I'd mark it "in development /
> planning" or something like that.

There's a big thread this week on linux-scsi about this wrt to scsi devices,
which is probably one of the places where it's more visible.

t.

* tpepper@vato dot org * Venimus, Vidimus, *
* http://www.vato.org/~tpepper * Dolavimus *

by Guillaume Boissiere

The answer is probably no but I'll ask anyway: is there one or two people
in particular working on this that I could list in my status page and a URL
I could point to?
Thanks,

-- Guillaume

On 11 Apr 2002 at 13:06, Tim Pepper wrote:

> On Wed 10 Apr at 19:03:54 -0700 [email protected] done said:
> > On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 06:31:46PM -0400, Guillaume Boissiere wrote:
> > >
> > > o Pending Finalize new device naming convention (Linus Torvalds)
> > > --> ??? I am not sure what is going on here -- it seems Linus is
> > > waiting for someone to step up and submit a patch following the new
> > > device naming convention he vaguely outlined a while back?
> >
> > People are slowly working on this, so I'd mark it "in development /
> > planning" or something like that.
>
> There's a big thread this week on linux-scsi about this wrt to scsi devices,
> which is probably one of the places where it's more visible.
>
> t.

> * tpepper@vato dot org * Venimus, Vidimus, *
> * http://www.vato.org/~tpepper * Dolavimus *

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> These four items have been marked as Ready or Pending for a while and yet nothing
> has happened for the last 2 months so I'm planning to change their status in the
> next status update.
> Comments? Objections?

BTW you are missing "merged in 2.5.5+" IDE rewrite by martin dalecki and
vojtech pavlik. Its getting pretty big and cleans it up a lot.
Pavel