2002-04-11 08:50:45

by David Shirley

Subject: The process of NFS mounting?

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure that this is the correct list for this question,
so I apologise if you think so.

Basically I want to understand the process of NFS mounting
in terms of network activity and transactions from client
to server.

From my understanding basically the client requests the mountd
port from the servers portmapper.

Then the client talks to mountd

etc etc etc..

Well the problem I have is that it seems that mountd is trying to
establish a new UDP connection (yeah yeah i know...) to the mount
client process. Is this what is supposed to happen?

Cheers
Dave

/-----------------------------------
David Shirley
System's Administrator
Computer Science - Curtin University
(08) 9266 2986
-----------------------------------/

2002-04-11 11:00:29

by NeilBrown

Subject: Re: The process of NFS mounting?

On Thursday April 11, [email protected] wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm not sure that this is the correct list for this question,
> so I apologise if you think so.

[email protected] might be a reasonable alternative.

> Basically I want to understand the process of NFS mounting
> in terms of network activity and transactions from client
> to server.

use ethereal to watch what actually happens on the wire...

> From my understanding basically the client requests the mountd
> port from the servers portmapper.
>
> Then the client talks to mountd
>
> etc etc etc..
>
> Well the problem I have is that it seems that mountd is trying to
> establish a new UDP connection (yeah yeah i know...) to the mount
^^^^^^^ Not sure what you know...
> client process. Is this what is supposed to happen?

Maybe if you try to explain your difficulty more clearly we might be
able to help. Try explaining exactly what you think happens and
exactly why you doubt that that is correct..

You may well find yourself answering your own qujestion :-)

NeilBrown

2002-04-11 11:39:53

by Anil Kumar

Subject: Read Data from Serial Port

hello all,
I am new to Linux .
I am looking for provisions in linux Kernel or Linux User Space through
which i can read data directly from
serial port (A device is Connected to Serial Port).

I read the literature regarding Raw Sockets but could not figure out
how to read data from serial port.

If there is any URL where i can find information regarding this please
mail me that also.

Thanks in Advance.

Bye
Anil

2002-04-11 14:17:24

by Erik Mouw

Subject: Re: Read Data from Serial Port

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 05:08:15PM +0500, Anil Kumar wrote:
> I am new to Linux .
> I am looking for provisions in linux Kernel or Linux User Space through
> which i can read data directly from
> serial port (A device is Connected to Serial Port).

open("/dev/ttyS0"), see "man open".

> I read the literature regarding Raw Sockets but could not figure out
> how to read data from serial port.

A serial port is a device file in /dev. Sockets are for networking.

> If there is any URL where i can find information regarding this please
> mail me that also.

You can read the Serial-Programming-HOWTO. There is also a lot of
information in the book "Advanced programming in the UNIX environment"
by W. Richard Stevens. The book is expensive, but worth its price.

Erik

PS: this kind of userland questions is off-topic for this list. Next
time use the linux-c-programming mailing list, see
http://lists.linux.org.au/listinfo/linuxcprogramming

--
J.A.K. (Erik) Mouw, Information and Communication Theory Group, Faculty
of Information Technology and Systems, Delft University of Technology,