2002-04-12 04:11:25

by Timur Tabi

Subject: I want to help with 2.5

Hi,

I would like to make a meaningful contribution to the 2.5 kernel, so I'm
wondering if anyone out there would like my help. I would prefer to
work on a component where I could do the majority of the work, rather
than just help out with something massive. Is there a particular piece
of hardware that needs a device driver that no one is working on? Is
there some kernel enhancement that no one has gotten around too but
would be a good addition? Please post or email your suggestion! Thanks!

--
Timur Tabi

2002-04-12 06:17:12

by Frank Schäfer

Subject: Re: I want to help with 2.5

On Thu, 2002-04-11 at 16:11, Timur Tabi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to make a meaningful contribution to the 2.5 kernel, so I'm
> wondering if anyone out there would like my help. I would prefer to
> work on a component where I could do the majority of the work, rather
> than just help out with something massive. Is there a particular piece
> of hardware that needs a device driver that no one is working on? Is
> there some kernel enhancement that no one has gotten around too but
> would be a good addition? Please post or email your suggestion! Thanks!
>

> --
> Timur Tabi
>
> -

Get the veryveryvery latest kernel source, and have a look in the MAINAINERS file.

Regards
Frank

2002-04-12 06:26:52

by Chris Wright

* Timur Tabi ([email protected]) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to make a meaningful contribution to the 2.5 kernel, so I'm
> wondering if anyone out there would like my help. I would prefer to
> work on a component where I could do the majority of the work, rather
> than just help out with something massive. Is there a particular piece
> of hardware that needs a device driver that no one is working on? Is
> there some kernel enhancement that no one has gotten around too but
> would be a good addition? Please post or email your suggestion! Thanks!

Have you looked at the kernel janitor project? I know there are still
drivers that need to be moved away from virt_to_bus, for example.

http://kerneljanitor.org/

cheers,
-chris

2002-04-12 07:07:34

by Rowan Ingvar Wilson

I would also like to help with development of the 2.5 kernel, we could
work on it together?

I would like to make a meaningful contribution to the 2.5 kernel, so I'm

wondering if anyone out there would like my help. I would prefer to
work on a component where I could do the majority of the work, rather
than just help out with something massive. Is there a particular piece
of hardware that needs a device driver that no one is working on? Is
there some kernel enhancement that no one has gotten around too but
would be a good addition? Please post or email your suggestion!
Thanks!

--
Timur Tabi

2002-04-12 07:18:09

by Anssi Saari

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 09:11:46AM -0500, Timur Tabi wrote:

> Is there a particular piece
> of hardware that needs a device driver that no one is working on? Is
> there some kernel enhancement that no one has gotten around too but
> would be a good addition? Please post or email your suggestion! Thanks!

Well, referring to my post from a few says ago about my CD writing
problems (subject was PROMBLEM: CD burning at 16x uses excessive CPU,
although DMA is enabled), it seems there is great need to have ATAPI/ASPI,
for anyone with a fast ATAPI CD writer.

2002-04-12 12:59:11

by Timur Tabi

Chris Wright wrote:

> Have you looked at the kernel janitor project? I know there are still
> drivers that need to be moved away from virt_to_bus, for example.
>
> http://kerneljanitor.org/

Yes, I have. I should have mentioned that. However, it really didn't
help me, because I was looking for a list of projects that no one is
working on yet.

--
Timur Tabi

by Mike Fedyk

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 02:45:50PM -0500, Timur Tabi wrote:
> Chris Wright wrote:
>
> >Have you looked at the kernel janitor project? I know there are still
> >drivers that need to be moved away from virt_to_bus, for example.
> >
> >http://kerneljanitor.org/
>
> Yes, I have. I should have mentioned that. However, it really didn't
> help me, because I was looking for a list of projects that no one is
> working on yet.

The list contains projects that have been identified, but many have not been
started.

Find one that suits your interests, and ask if someone else has started it
on the janitor list...

Mike