2002-04-16 10:04:44

by Robin Johnson

Subject: Incremental Patch Building Script

Hi,

I have written a script to build incremental patches, as found on
bzimage.org previously. I have written this so that other people will find
it easier to roll their own incremental patches to use.

Comments/Suggestions on improvement welcome

Please CC me, as I am not subscribed to the list.

Thanks.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail : [email protected]

Attachments:
interpatch (1.80 kB)

2002-04-16 12:13:23

by Adrian Bunk

Subject: Re: Incremental Patch Building Script

On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, Robin Johnson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have written a script to build incremental patches, as found on
> bzimage.org previously. I have written this so that other people will find
> it easier to roll their own incremental patches to use.
>
> Comments/Suggestions on improvement welcome

There's already interdiff from Tim Waugh's patchutils [1] that makes
incremental diffs between patches. And interdiff doesn't need the source
the patches are against (IOW: to make an incremental patch between two
kernel -pre patches you don't need any kernel sources). It's pretty
simple:

interdiff -z patch-2.4.19-pre6.gz patch-2.4.19-pre7.gz > mydiff

> Please CC me, as I am not subscribed to the list.
>
> Thanks.

cu
Adrian

[1] http://cyberelk.net/tim/data/patchutils/

--

You only think this is a free country. Like the US the UK spends a lot of
time explaining its a free country because its a police state.

2002-04-16 14:11:44

by Robin Johnson

On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> There's already interdiff from Tim Waugh's patchutils [1] that makes
> incremental diffs between patches. And interdiff doesn't need the source
> the patches are against (IOW: to make an incremental patch between two
> kernel -pre patches you don't need any kernel sources). It's pretty
> simple:
>
> interdiff -z patch-2.4.19-pre6.gz patch-2.4.19-pre7.gz > mydiff

I did try interdiff before writing this script, and it wasn't generating
the right output.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail : [email protected]
Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2
ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639

2002-04-16 15:14:08

by Tim Waugh

On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 07:11:46AM -0700, Robin Johnson wrote:

> > interdiff -z patch-2.4.19-pre6.gz patch-2.4.19-pre7.gz > mydiff
>
> I did try interdiff before writing this script, and it wasn't generating
> the right output.

The Linus patches have 'a/' or 'b/' as the first component of the
filename. Try using 'interdiff -zp1 ...'---the '-p1' option causes
interdiff to ignore the first pathname component.

Tim.
*/

Attachments:
(No filename) (426.00 B)
(No filename) (232.00 B)

by Tim Waugh

On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 07:11:46AM -0700, Robin Johnson wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> >
> > There's already interdiff from Tim Waugh's patchutils [1] that makes
> > incremental diffs between patches. And interdiff doesn't need the source
> > the patches are against (IOW: to make an incremental patch between two
> > kernel -pre patches you don't need any kernel sources). It's pretty
> > simple:
> >
> > interdiff -z patch-2.4.19-pre6.gz patch-2.4.19-pre7.gz > mydiff
>
> I did try interdiff before writing this script, and it wasn't generating
> the right output.

I think that the problems Robin was seeing are resolved in
patchutils-0.2.12.

(The output was correct, but needlessly lengthy.)

Tim.
*/

Attachments:
(No filename) (730.00 B)