2002-04-19 23:15:30

by Jordan Breeding

Subject: Trouble rebooting Tyan Thunder K7 (S2462UNG)

Hello,

I am having trouble getting a brand new Tyan Thunder K7 S2462UNG (the
one with onboard SCSI) to reboot successfully using Linux. This board
functions perfectly under Linux 2.4.19-pre6, Linux 2.5.8-dj1, Windows XP
Professional and will boot up and reboot off of both FreeBSD 4.5 and
5.0-DP1 cds. Under Linux the board will boot up, never crash, and
shutdown, everything except for rebooting works. Windows and FreeBSD
both have no problems rebooting. If I try and reboot using Linux
2.4.19-pre6, 2.5.8-dj1, the RedHat 7.2.93 CD, the RedHat 7.2 CD or the
Gentoo Linux 1.0 CD it always behaves exactly the same: init runs it's
shutdown sequence and then the words "Please stand by while rebooting
the system..." appear shortly followed by the words "Rebooting system."
at this point the screen does not clear and wait for the BIOS to
reinitialize the video as Linux does with other boards and Windows and
FreeBSD do with this board, instead the text stays there for at least
15-20 seconds (maybe longer) then when it finally blanks the video and
the monitor light begins to flash it goes straight into the Adaptec
SCSISelect scan (I can tell because my HD light comes on and the CDROMs
I have are accessed in order), immediately after the SCSISelect scan the
video stays off and instead of giving a successful BIOS beep (one tone)
and booting GRUB it gives a very weird sequence of tones and then the
box is permanently hung until I power it off and on again or until I hit
the hard reset switch on the front. Again, this only occurs while
rebooting linux and does not happen while shutting down Linux (which
works perfectly) or while shutting down/rebooting other OSes. Also, I
have tried the following combinations of Linux command line reboot
variants: reboot=bios, reboot=smp, reboot=hard, reboot=bios,cold,
reboot=hard,cold, reboot=bios,smp. All of the previous entries behave
exactly the same, and they all behave the same across multiple BIOS
versions (though maybe a different BIOS would work). I also used the
reboot=bios patch posted earlier today in my testing of rebooting
2.5.8-dj1. Does anyone have any ideas about what might be happening to
the reboot sequence Linux tries to use or how to fix it for this board?
It uses 512 MB of Kingston Registered ECC PC2100 DDR SDRAM, a 450 Watt
Enhance Power Supply, and dual AMD Athlon MP 1900+ chips. Thanks for
any help.

Jordan Breeding

2002-04-19 23:49:27

by Jan-Benedict Glaw

Subject: Re: Trouble rebooting Tyan Thunder K7 (S2462UNG)

On Fri, 2002-04-19 23:15:23 -0000, Jordan Breeding <[email protected]>
wrote in message <!~!UENERkVCMDkAAQACAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABgAAAAAAAAAjQHXypTRWUeX0Da3WGxUUMKAAAAQAAAAb2jlXi9TM0a+IKeYbO47lAEAAAAA@attbi.com>:
> I am having trouble getting a brand new Tyan Thunder K7 S2462UNG (the
> one with onboard SCSI) to reboot successfully using Linux. This board

> FreeBSD do with this board, instead the text stays there for at least
> 15-20 seconds (maybe longer) then when it finally blanks the video and
> the monitor light begins to flash it goes straight into the Adaptec
> SCSISelect scan (I can tell because my HD light comes on and the CDROMs

What is so uncommon? The board does use ECC RAM, so maybe the board's
BIOS / firmware needs this time to blank and check all the RAM. Maybe
othe OSes don't initiate a full "cold boot" but something that doesn't
make the board to re-initialize all the RAM...

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw . [email protected] . +49-172-7608481
-- New APT-Proxy written in shell script --

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.06 kB)
(No filename) (240.00 B)

by Jordan Breeding

Sorry that I did not explain myself better the first time.
The other OSes on this machine _do_ initialize a
cold boot. Here is how they _all_ reboot: screen
immediately goes black, hd light comes on as
memory is ECC checked, hd light goes off and BIOS
post screen comes up (monitor is now on again),
Adaptec SCSISelect screen comes up, BIOS issues
single beep and boots into GRUB. This is the way
that _all_ versions of linux reboot with _all_ reboot
parameters: screen hangs (but still has text on it, ie.
the reboot messages) for at least 15-30 seconds,
screen then goes blank, hd light comes on but _not_
for ecc check (during ecc check nothing is accessed
except for memory) instead the system goes straight
into SCSISelect once the screen goes blank and the
hd light comes on (this is evident because during
normal boot SCSISelect is the stage at which the hd
light is on and each SCSI device is accessed in
order), once SCSISelect has polled every id on the
system it tries to hand back off to the BIOS which
was apparently never initialized correctly during a
Linux reboot since it issues a very weird series of
eight or so BIOS beeps and then just sits there, the
ecc memory is never polled, the BIOS post screen
never comes up, the monitor never goes active
again, the system is just hung at a black screen until
I hard reboot it. Other OSes _do_ perform a reboot
in which ecc memory is polled however, so that
does not seem to be the problem here. Thanks for
any more help anyone can offer.

Jordan Breeding
> On Fri, 2002-04-19 23:15:23 -0000, Jordan Breeding <[email protected]>
> wrote in message
> <!~!UENERkVCMDkAAQACAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABgAAAAAAAAAjQHXypTRWUeX0Da3WGxUUMKAAAAQAAAA
> [email protected]>:
> > I am having trouble getting a brand new Tyan Thunder K7 S2462UNG (the
> > one with onboard SCSI) to reboot successfully using Linux. This board
>
> > FreeBSD do with this board, instead the text stays there for at least
> > 15-20 seconds (maybe longer) then when it finally blanks the video and
> > the monitor light begins to flash it goes straight into the Adaptec
> > SCSISelect scan (I can tell because my HD light comes on and the CDROMs
>
> What is so uncommon? The board does use ECC RAM, so maybe the board's
> BIOS / firmware needs this time to blank and check all the RAM. Maybe
> othe OSes don't initiate a full "cold boot" but something that doesn't
> make the board to re-initialize all the RAM...
>
> MfG, JBG
>
> --
> Jan-Benedict Glaw . [email protected] . +49-172-7608481
> -- New APT-Proxy written in shell script --
> http://lug-owl.de/~jbglaw/software/ap2/

2002-04-20 12:59:05

by Jordan Breeding

Sorry that I did not explain myself better the first time.
The other OSes on this machine _do_ initialize a
cold boot. Here is how they _all_ reboot: screen
immediately goes black, hd light comes on as
memory is ECC checked, hd light goes off and BIOS
post screen comes up (monitor is now on again),
Adaptec SCSISelect screen comes up, BIOS issues
single beep and boots into GRUB. This is the way
that _all_ versions of linux reboot with _all_ reboot
parameters: screen hangs (but still has text on it, ie.
the reboot messages) for at least 15-30 seconds,
screen then goes blank, hd light comes on but _not_
for ecc check (during ecc check nothing is accessed
except for memory) instead the system goes straight
into SCSISelect once the screen goes blank and the
hd light comes on (this is evident because during
normal boot SCSISelect is the stage at which the hd
light is on and each SCSI device is accessed in
order), once SCSISelect has polled every id on the
system it tries to hand back off to the BIOS which
was apparently never initialized correctly during a
Linux reboot since it issues a very weird series of
eight or so BIOS beeps and then just sits there, the
ecc memory is never polled, the BIOS post screen
never comes up, the monitor never goes active
again, the system is just hung at a black screen until
I hard reboot it. Other OSes _do_ perform a reboot
in which ecc memory is polled however, so that
does not seem to be the problem here. Thanks for
any more help anyone can offer.

Jordan Breeding
> On Fri, 2002-04-19 23:15:23 -0000, Jordan Breeding <[email protected]>
> wrote in message
> <!~!UENERkVCMDkAAQACAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABgAAAAAAAAAjQHXypTRWUeX0Da3WGxUUMKAAAAQAAAA
> [email protected]>:
> > I am having trouble getting a brand new Tyan Thunder K7 S2462UNG (the
> > one with onboard SCSI) to reboot successfully using Linux. This board
>
> > FreeBSD do with this board, instead the text stays there for at least
> > 15-20 seconds (maybe longer) then when it finally blanks the video and
> > the monitor light begins to flash it goes straight into the Adaptec
> > SCSISelect scan (I can tell because my HD light comes on and the CDROMs
>
> What is so uncommon? The board does use ECC RAM, so maybe the board's
> BIOS / firmware needs this time to blank and check all the RAM. Maybe
> othe OSes don't initiate a full "cold boot" but something that doesn't
> make the board to re-initialize all the RAM...
>
> MfG, JBG
>
> --
> Jan-Benedict Glaw . [email protected] . +49-172-7608481
> -- New APT-Proxy written in shell script --
> http://lug-owl.de/~jbglaw/software/ap2/

2002-04-20 13:01:48

by Jordan Breeding

Hello,

Sorry about any duplicates of the last reply I sent
which might have gotten sent out, I am having to use
an online emailer right now and it seems to be
acting up.

Jordan Breeding
> Sorry that I did not explain myself better the first time.
> The other OSes on this machine _do_ initialize a
> cold boot. Here is how they _all_ reboot: screen
> immediately goes black, hd light comes on as
> memory is ECC checked, hd light goes off and BIOS
> post screen comes up (monitor is now on again),
> Adaptec SCSISelect screen comes up, BIOS issues
> single beep and boots into GRUB. This is the way
> that _all_ versions of linux reboot with _all_ reboot
> parameters: screen hangs (but still has text on it, ie.
> the reboot messages) for at least 15-30 seconds,
> screen then goes blank, hd light comes on but _not_
> for ecc check (during ecc check nothing is accessed
> except for memory) instead the system goes straight
> into SCSISelect once the screen goes blank and the
> hd light comes on (this is evident because during
> normal boot SCSISelect is the stage at which the hd
> light is on and each SCSI device is accessed in
> order), once SCSISelect has polled every id on the
> system it tries to hand back off to the BIOS which
> was apparently never initialized correctly during a
> Linux reboot since it issues a very weird series of
> eight or so BIOS beeps and then just sits there, the
> ecc memory is never polled, the BIOS post screen
> never comes up, the monitor never goes active
> again, the system is just hung at a black screen until
> I hard reboot it. Other OSes _do_ perform a reboot
> in which ecc memory is polled however, so that
> does not seem to be the problem here. Thanks for
> any more help anyone can offer.
>
> Jordan Breeding
> > On Fri, 2002-04-19 23:15:23 -0000, Jordan Breeding <[email protected]>
> > wrote in message
> >
> <!~!UENERkVCMDkAAQACAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABgAAAAAAAAAjQHXypTRWUeX0Da3WGxUUMKAAAAQAAAA
> > [email protected]>:
> > > I am having trouble getting a brand new Tyan Thunder K7 S2462UNG (the
> > > one with onboard SCSI) to reboot successfully using Linux. This board
> >
> > > FreeBSD do with this board, instead the text stays there for at least
> > > 15-20 seconds (maybe longer) then when it finally blanks the video and
> > > the monitor light begins to flash it goes straight into the Adaptec
> > > SCSISelect scan (I can tell because my HD light comes on and the CDROMs
> >
> > What is so uncommon? The board does use ECC RAM, so maybe the board's
> > BIOS / firmware needs this time to blank and check all the RAM. Maybe
> > othe OSes don't initiate a full "cold boot" but something that doesn't
> > make the board to re-initialize all the RAM...
> >
> > MfG, JBG
> >
> > --
> > Jan-Benedict Glaw . [email protected] . +49-172-7608481
> > -- New APT-Proxy written in shell script --
> > http://lug-owl.de/~jbglaw/software/ap2/
> >
> -

by Kwijibo

I have this motherboard too and have a similiar problem,
but it is usually not with reboots but with crashes. I use
the nVidia graphics module which crashes time to time
and locks X, so I just hit the reset switch(Thank you
journalling fs). But lots of times after I reboot it will
go through the initial POST, then go through the SCSI
detection, and 3ware detection, then when it should goto
the GRUB screen it will just display the POST screen
and hang, no beeps no nothing. I usually have to power it
completely down for about a minute for it to come back
up right. I have chalked this up to a BIOS problem though
and not a Linux one cause the BIOS should be smart enough
to pull it's head out of it's ass and reset any bad states that
may have been left behind. I would bitch to Tyan if I were you,
I have thought about it but never got up the energy.

Steve

[email protected] wrote:

>Hello,
>
> Sorry about any duplicates of the last reply I sent
>which might have gotten sent out, I am having to use
>an online emailer right now and it seems to be
>acting up.
>
>Jordan Breeding
>

>>Sorry that I did not explain myself better the first time.
>>The other OSes on this machine _do_ initialize a
>>cold boot. Here is how they _all_ reboot: screen
>>immediately goes black, hd light comes on as
>>memory is ECC checked, hd light goes off and BIOS
>>post screen comes up (monitor is now on again),
>>Adaptec SCSISelect screen comes up, BIOS issues
>>single beep and boots into GRUB. This is the way
>>that _all_ versions of linux reboot with _all_ reboot
>>parameters: screen hangs (but still has text on it, ie.
>>the reboot messages) for at least 15-30 seconds,
>>screen then goes blank, hd light comes on but _not_
>>for ecc check (during ecc check nothing is accessed
>>except for memory) instead the system goes straight
>>into SCSISelect once the screen goes blank and the
>>hd light comes on (this is evident because during
>>normal boot SCSISelect is the stage at which the hd
>>light is on and each SCSI device is accessed in
>>order), once SCSISelect has polled every id on the
>>system it tries to hand back off to the BIOS which
>>was apparently never initialized correctly during a
>>Linux reboot since it issues a very weird series of
>>eight or so BIOS beeps and then just sits there, the
>>ecc memory is never polled, the BIOS post screen
>>never comes up, the monitor never goes active
>>again, the system is just hung at a black screen until
>>I hard reboot it. Other OSes _do_ perform a reboot
>>in which ecc memory is polled however, so that
>>does not seem to be the problem here. Thanks for
>>any more help anyone can offer.
>>
>>Jordan Breeding
>>

>>>On Fri, 2002-04-19 23:15:23 -0000, Jordan Breeding <[email protected]>
>>>wrote in message
>>>

>><!~!UENERkVCMDkAAQACAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABgAAAAAAAAAjQHXypTRWUeX0Da3WGxUUMKAAAAQAAAA

>>>What is so uncommon? The board does use ECC RAM, so maybe the board's
>>>BIOS / firmware needs this time to blank and check all the RAM. Maybe
>>>othe OSes don't initiate a full "cold boot" but something that doesn't
>>>make the board to re-initialize all the RAM...
>>>
>>>MfG, JBG
>>>
>>>--
>>>Jan-Benedict Glaw . [email protected] . +49-172-7608481
>>> -- New APT-Proxy written in shell script --
>>> http://lug-owl.de/~jbglaw/software/ap2/
>>>

>>-
>>the body of a message to [email protected]
>>More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
>>Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/
>>

>-
>the body of a message to [email protected]

by Nicholas Berry

I've had the original problem with a Tyan Tiger MP board. Linux can't reboot it, Windoze 2000 can, but in my case the font is screwed up. I agree with Steve, it's a BIOS problem - the BIOS on my board is a POS.

Nik

>>> <[email protected]> 04/21/02 05:12PM >>>
<snip>

> I have chalked this up to a BIOS problem though
> and not a Linux one cause the BIOS should be smart enough
> to pull it's head out of it's ass and reset any bad states that
> may have been left behind. I would bitch to Tyan if I were you,
> I have thought about it but never got up the energy.

> Steve

2002-04-22 13:54:39

by Jan-Benedict Glaw

On Mon, 2002-04-22 09:23:11 -0400, Nicholas Berry <[email protected]>
wrote in message <[email protected]>:
> I've had the original problem with a Tyan Tiger MP board. Linux can't
> reboot it, Windoze 2000 can, but in my case the font is screwed up. I
> agree with Steve, it's a BIOS problem - the BIOS on my board is a POS.

Here are my 2 cent:

- The BIOS screws up (at least) ATI Radeon cards (their fonts)
- The newest versions (at least 2.09 and 2.10) require to press
F1 if you use non-MP Athlons
- The newest BIOS version (2.10) does __not__ mention a second
CPU in the MP table if you use non-MP Athlons. This means that
basically the board unconditionally boots up with only __one__
CPU, even if you press F1 to accept a non-supported mode.
- I've added an additional SCSI card. The box didn't come up
because this additional card was bootable. I had to remove the
boot ROM of that card.

My conclusions:

- Basically, the board is *very* nice. Two Athlons, two U/160
SCSI channels, lots of ECC-protected RAM.
- BIOS is quite bad. It feels like being unready and is quite
unfriendly to not officially supported (non-MP) dual Athlons.
Despite that, there are problems with lots of other hardware
(ATI Radeon cards, additional bootable SCSI cards, ...).

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw . [email protected] . +49-172-7608481
-- New APT-Proxy written in shell script --
http://lug-owl.de/~jbglaw/software/ap2/

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.45 kB)
(No filename) (240.00 B)