2002-04-27 03:08:41

by Dave Jones

Subject: Linux 2.5.10-dj1

Clear out the pending patch queue, and merge up to Linus' latest
in order to have a base to continue pushing bits from.

As usual,..
Patch against 2.5.10 vanilla is available from:
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/davej/patches/2.5/

Merged patch archive: http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/patches/merged/

Check http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/Linux-2.5.html before reporting
known bugs that are also in mainline.

-- Davej.

2.5.10-dj1
o Fix mysterious SMP compile breakage in sched.c (Adam Kropelin)
o Fix ISDN config.in typo. (Steven Cole)
o Remove duplicate entry from MAINTAINERS (Adrian Bunk)
o Silly typo in z2ram.c (Jerry Cooperstein)
o Disallow smp_call_function from bottom halves. (Dipankar Sarma)
| x86 only right now, other archs need changing.
o Fix up builtin_expect warnings. (Andrew Morton)
o Only frob P4 LVT if thermal monitor enabled. (Zwane Mwaikambo)
o TUN/TAP readv/writev support. (Maxim Krasnyansky)
o updated UP CPU number microoptimisation. (Mikael Pettersson)
o Various net driver/ISDN request_region fixes. (William Stinson)
o Large sd update. (Douglas Gilbert)
o Add some missing exports. (Dagfinn Ilmari Manns?ker)
o CONFIG_DMASOUND_AWACS fix. (Steven Cole)
o A few Config.help updates. (Steven Cole)
o x86 pagetable_init cleanup. (Brian Gerst)
o New synclink drivers. (Paul Fulghum)
o e100 devinit compilation fix. (Adrian Bunk)
o Several trivial compile fixes. (Keith Owens)
o Update to IDE-42 (Martin Dalecki)
o Fix handling of the wrong cluster chain. (OGAWA Hirofumi)
o Add validity check the first entry of FAT. (OGAWA Hirofumi)
o Other misc cleanups of fatfs. (OGAWA Hirofumi)
o printk loglevels in fatfs. (Andrey Panin)
| Andrey, some of these rejected, and were dropped
| due to the above updates.
o Release BKL in sem_undo exit path. (Chris Wright)
o Make sure UTS_VERSION is always in C locale. (Martin Dalecki)
o Fix Alpha ptrace. (Ivan Kokshaysky)
o Fix hang in migration thread. (James Bottomley)

2.5.9-dj1
o Resync against 2.5.9
| Configure enhanced to look in /boot/`uname -r` (Me)
o Fall back to PCI BIOS if direct access fails. (Me)
o Bump size of xconfig variable buffer (Me)
o 64bit fixes for x86-64 MTRR driver. (Me)
o GL641USB based CF-Reader USB support. (Gert Menke)
o Bring x86-64 bluesmoke up to date with ia32. (Me)
| And drop non-x86-64 bits.
o UP CPU number microoptimisation. (Mikael Pettersson)
o ATM resources compile fix. (Frank Davis)
o readahead reformatting. (Steven Cole)
o Death of SYMBOL_NAME (Brian Gerst)
o Add more missing Config.help entries. (Steven Cole)
o remove old SCSI-EH methods from Scsi_Host_Template (Christoph Hellwig)
| This likely breaks many SCSI drivers. They were broken anyway,
| and only worked by chance. With this, they stand a chance of being fixed.
o meye driver request_irq bugfix. (Stelian Pop)
o Add kernel command line params to meye driver. (Stelian Pop)
o Slabcache namespace cleanup. (Ryan Mack)
o SIGURG SUSv3 compliance. (Christopher Yeoh)
o Ultrastor region handling cleanup. (William Stinson)
o Megaraid region handling cleanup. (William Stinson)
o Buslogic region handling cleanup. (William Stinson)
o IrDA driver update. (Jean Tourrilhes)
o Fix ESSID related wireless crash. (Jean Tourrilhes)
o Attempt rd.c surgery. (Me, Andrew Morton)
| works/doesn't work feedback appreciated.
o Fix reboot=bios cache handling. (Robert Hentosh)
o Recognise P4 Xeon in mptable. (James Bourne)
o 64bit fixes for smbfs. (Urban Widmark)
o nfsd double down() fix. (Anton Blanchard)
o x86 io.h cleanup revisited. (Brian Gerst)
o kjournald open files fix. (Ph. Marek)
o Make expfs compilable on old compilers. (Andrew Morton)
o Nail the per-cpu-areas problem once and for all. (Rusty Russell)

2002-04-27 05:32:40

by A Guy Called Tyketto

Subject: Re: Linux 2.5.10-dj1

On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 04:08:23AM +0100, Dave Jones wrote:
> Clear out the pending patch queue, and merge up to Linus' latest
> in order to have a base to continue pushing bits from.
>
> As usual,..
> Patch against 2.5.10 vanilla is available from:
> ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/davej/patches/2.5/
>
> Merged patch archive: http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/patches/merged/
>
> Check http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/Linux-2.5.html before reporting
> known bugs that are also in mainline.

Got this when I gave it a compile:

gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.5.10/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe
-mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -malign-functions=4 -DMODULE
-DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.5.10/include/linux/modversions.h
-nostdinc -I /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-slackware-linux/2.95.3/include
-DKBUILD_BASENAME=sr_vendor -c -o sr_vendor.o sr_vendor.c
rm -f scsi_mod.o
ld -m elf_i386 -r -o scsi_mod.o scsi.o hosts.o scsi_ioctl.o constants.o
scsicam.o scsi_proc.o scsi_error.o scsi_queue.o scsi_lib.o scsi_merge.o
scsi_scan.o scsi_syms.o
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.5.10/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe
-mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -malign-functions=4 -DMODULE
-DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.5.10/include/linux/modversions.h
-nostdinc -I /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-slackware-linux/2.95.3/include
-DKBUILD_BASENAME=ide_scsi -c -o ide-scsi.o ide-scsi.c
ide-scsi.c:837: unknown field `abort' specified in initializer
ide-scsi.c:837: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
ide-scsi.c:838: unknown field `reset' specified in initializer
ide-scsi.c:838: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
make[2]: *** [ide-scsi.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.5.10/drivers/scsi'
make[1]: *** [_modsubdir_scsi] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.5.10/drivers'
make: *** [_mod_drivers] Error 2

Config as follows:

CONFIG_X86=y
CONFIG_ISA=y
CONFIG_UID16=y
CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL=y
CONFIG_NET=y
CONFIG_SYSVIPC=y
CONFIG_BSD_PROCESS_ACCT=y
CONFIG_SYSCTL=y
CONFIG_MODULES=y
CONFIG_MODVERSIONS=y
CONFIG_KMOD=y
CONFIG_MK7=y
CONFIG_X86_WP_WORKS_OK=y
CONFIG_X86_INVLPG=y
CONFIG_X86_CMPXCHG=y
CONFIG_X86_XADD=y
CONFIG_X86_BSWAP=y
CONFIG_X86_POPAD_OK=y
CONFIG_RWSEM_XCHGADD_ALGORITHM=y
CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT=6
CONFIG_X86_TSC=y
CONFIG_X86_GOOD_APIC=y
CONFIG_X86_USE_3DNOW=y
CONFIG_X86_USE_PPRO_CHECKSUM=y
CONFIG_X86_MCE=y
CONFIG_X86_MCE_NONFATAL=y
CONFIG_X86_MCE_P4THERMAL=y
CONFIG_X86_MSR=m
CONFIG_X86_CPUID=m
CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y
CONFIG_HIGHPTE=y
CONFIG_HIGHMEM=y
CONFIG_MTRR=y
CONFIG_PREEMPT=y
CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC=y
CONFIG_X86_UP_IOAPIC=y
CONFIG_X86_LOCAL_APIC=y
CONFIG_X86_IO_APIC=y
CONFIG_HAVE_DEC_LOCK=y
CONFIG_PCI=y
CONFIG_PCI_GOANY=y
CONFIG_PCI_BIOS=y
CONFIG_PCI_DIRECT=y
CONFIG_PCI_NAMES=y
CONFIG_KCORE_ELF=y
CONFIG_BINFMT_AOUT=m
CONFIG_BINFMT_ELF=y
CONFIG_BINFMT_MISC=m
CONFIG_PM=y
CONFIG_APM=y
CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE=y
CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE=y
CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK=y
CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT=y
CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF=y
CONFIG_PARPORT=m
CONFIG_PARPORT_PC=m
CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_CML1=m
CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_FIFO=y
CONFIG_PNP=m
CONFIG_ISAPNP=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_FD=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=m
CONFIG_PACKET=m
CONFIG_PACKET_MMAP=y
CONFIG_NETFILTER=y
CONFIG_NETFILTER_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_UNIX=m
CONFIG_INET=y
CONFIG_SYN_COOKIES=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_CONNTRACK=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_FTP=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_IPTABLES=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_LIMIT=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_MAC=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_MARK=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_MULTIPORT=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_TOS=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_LENGTH=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_TTL=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_TCPMSS=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_STATE=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_FILTER=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_REJECT=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_MIRROR=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT_NEEDED=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_MASQUERADE=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_REDIRECT=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT_LOCAL=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT_FTP=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_MANGLE=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_TOS=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_MARK=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_LOG=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_TCPMSS=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_COMPAT_IPCHAINS=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT_NEEDED=y
CONFIG_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEFLOPPY=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
CONFIG_IDEPCI_SHARE_IRQ=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_VIA82CXXX=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y
CONFIG_SCSI=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=m
CONFIG_SD_EXTRA_DEVS=40
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR_VENDOR=y
CONFIG_SR_EXTRA_DEVS=2
CONFIG_CHR_DEV_SG=m
CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN=y
CONFIG_SCSI_CONSTANTS=y
CONFIG_NETDEVICES=y
CONFIG_DUMMY=m
CONFIG_NET_ETHERNET=y
CONFIG_NET_PCI=y
CONFIG_EEPRO100=m
CONFIG_PPP=m
CONFIG_PPP_ASYNC=m
CONFIG_PPP_SYNC_TTY=m
CONFIG_PPP_DEFLATE=m
CONFIG_PPP_BSDCOMP=m
CONFIG_NET_TULIP=y
CONFIG_TULIP=m
CONFIG_TULIP_MMIO=y
CONFIG_DE4X5=m
CONFIG_INPUT=y
CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBDEV=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_X=1024
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_Y=768
CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV=y
CONFIG_GAMEPORT=m
CONFIG_SOUND_GAMEPORT=m
CONFIG_GAMEPORT_FM801=m
CONFIG_SERIO=y
CONFIG_SERIO_I8042=y
CONFIG_I8042_REG_BASE=60
CONFIG_I8042_KBD_IRQ=1
CONFIG_I8042_AUX_IRQ=12
CONFIG_SERIO_SERPORT=y
CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBOARD=y
CONFIG_KEYBOARD_ATKBD=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSE=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2=y
CONFIG_VT=y
CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_SERIAL=m
CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS=y
CONFIG_UNIX98_PTY_COUNT=256
CONFIG_PRINTER=m
CONFIG_WATCHDOG=y
CONFIG_WATCHDOG_NOWAYOUT=y
CONFIG_SOFT_WATCHDOG=m
CONFIG_NVRAM=m
CONFIG_RTC=y
CONFIG_AGP=y
CONFIG_AGP_VIA=y
CONFIG_DRM=y
CONFIG_DRM_R128=y
CONFIG_DRM_RADEON=y
CONFIG_REISERFS_FS=m
CONFIG_HFS_FS=m
CONFIG_EXT3_FS=y
CONFIG_JBD=y
CONFIG_JBD_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_FAT_FS=m
CONFIG_MSDOS_FS=m
CONFIG_VFAT_FS=m
CONFIG_TMPFS=y
CONFIG_RAMFS=y
CONFIG_ISO9660_FS=m
CONFIG_JOLIET=y
CONFIG_ZISOFS=y
CONFIG_MINIX_FS=m
CONFIG_PROC_FS=y
CONFIG_DEVFS_FS=y
CONFIG_DEVFS_MOUNT=y
CONFIG_DEVFS_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_DEVPTS_FS=y
CONFIG_EXT2_FS=y
CONFIG_NFS_FS=m
CONFIG_NFS_V3=y
CONFIG_NFSD=m
CONFIG_NFSD_V3=y
CONFIG_SUNRPC=m
CONFIG_LOCKD=m
CONFIG_LOCKD_V4=y
CONFIG_EXPORTFS=m
CONFIG_ZISOFS_FS=m
CONFIG_PARTITION_ADVANCED=y
CONFIG_MSDOS_PARTITION=y
CONFIG_NLS=y
CONFIG_NLS_DEFAULT="cp437"
CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_437=m
CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_850=m
CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_852=m
CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_863=m
CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_1=m
CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_15=m
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
CONFIG_FB=y
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
CONFIG_FB_ATY=y
CONFIG_FB_ATY_CT=y
CONFIG_FB_RADEON=y
CONFIG_FB_ATY128=y
CONFIG_FBCON_ADVANCED=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB8=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB16=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB24=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB32=y
CONFIG_FONT_8x8=y
CONFIG_FONT_8x16=y
CONFIG_SOUND=m
CONFIG_SOUND_PRIME=m
CONFIG_SOUND_OSS=m
CONFIG_SOUND_VMIDI=m
CONFIG_SOUND_SB=m
CONFIG_SOUND_YM3812=m
CONFIG_SND=m
CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER=m
CONFIG_SND_OSSEMUL=y
CONFIG_SND_MIXER_OSS=m
CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS=m
CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER_OSS=m
CONFIG_SND_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_SND_DEBUG_MEMORY=y
CONFIG_SND_DEBUG_DETECT=y
CONFIG_SND_MPU401=m
CONFIG_SND_ENS1371=m
CONFIG_SND_FM801=m
CONFIG_USB=m
CONFIG_USB_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS=y
CONFIG_USB_BANDWIDTH=y
CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD=m
CONFIG_USB_UHCI=m
CONFIG_USB_UHCI_ALT=m
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE=m
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_SLAB=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_IOVIRT=y
CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_SPINLOCK=y
CONFIG_ZLIB_INFLATE=m
CONFIG_ZLIB_DEFLATE=m

BL.
--
Brad Littlejohn | Email: [email protected]
Unix Systems Administrator, | [email protected]

by Rudmer van Dijk

On Saturday 27 April 2002 05:08, Dave Jones wrote:
> Clear out the pending patch queue, and merge up to Linus' latest
> in order to have a base to continue pushing bits from.

compiled fine, but after booting the system does not respond to the keyboard
(I can see the message "serio: i8042 KBD port at 0x60,0x64 irq 1" om my
screen)

The system also hangs after fscking my root partition (fsck completed without
errors)
After my harddisks went to sleep I switched the system off and after booting
the kernel (2.4.19-pre7) panics (and the caps- and scroll-lock leds are
blinking) as it can not mount the root fs due to the following errors:
EXT2-fs error (device ide0(3,1)): ext2_check_descriptors: Block bitmap for
group 0 not in group (block 0)!
EXT2-fs: group descriptors corrupted!

if it is needed i can send my .config after i have recovered my rootdisk.

Rudmer

2002-04-27 13:51:27

by Dave Jones

On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 02:51:21PM +0200, Rudmer van Dijk wrote:

> compiled fine, but after booting the system does not respond to the keyboard
> (I can see the message "serio: i8042 KBD port at 0x60,0x64 irq 1" om my
> screen)

There are some reports that ACPI is having a bad interaction with the
keyboard controller. For now, disabling it may fix this.

> The system also hangs after fscking my root partition (fsck completed without
> errors)
> After my harddisks went to sleep I switched the system off and after booting
> the kernel (2.4.19-pre7) panics (and the caps- and scroll-lock leds are
> blinking) as it can not mount the root fs due to the following errors:
> EXT2-fs error (device ide0(3,1)): ext2_check_descriptors: Block bitmap for
> group 0 not in group (block 0)!
> EXT2-fs: group descriptors corrupted!

This is somewhat disturbing. I'll look over the VFS changes, but I'm not
aware of anything added specifically to my tree that could cause this,
so it may be either an ext2 issue in mainline, or one of the drivers.

IDE ? SCSI ?

Dave.

--
| Dave Jones. http://www.codemonkey.org.uk
| SuSE Labs

2002-04-27 18:39:07

by Adrian Bunk

Hi Dave,

there are changes in the 2.5.10-dj1 patch that aren't in the 2.5.9-dj1
patch that include removals of defines for TIMEOUT_VALUE and
DEVICE_REQUEST that seem to cause the following compile error:

<-- snip -->

gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/home/bunk/linux/kernel-2.5/linux-2.5.10/include -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common
-fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=k6
-nostdinc -I /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/2.95.4/include
-DKBUILD_BASENAME=hd -c -o hd.o hd.c
hd.c: In function `hd_out':
hd.c:284: `TIMEOUT_VALUE' undeclared (first use in this function)
hd.c:284: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
hd.c:284: for each function it appears in.)
hd.c: In function `unexpected_hd_interrupt':
hd.c:365: `TIMEOUT_VALUE' undeclared (first use in this function)
hd.c: In function `read_intr':
hd.c:434: `TIMEOUT_VALUE' undeclared (first use in this function)
hd.c: In function `write_intr':
hd.c:472: `TIMEOUT_VALUE' undeclared (first use in this function)
hd.c: In function `hd_request':
hd.c:555: `TIMEOUT_VALUE' undeclared (first use in this function)
hd.c: In function `hd_init':
hd.c:836: `DEVICE_REQUEST' undeclared (first use in this function)
hd.c: At top level:
hd.c:617: warning: `do_hd_request' defined but not used
make[3]: *** [hd.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/home/bunk/linux/kernel-2.5/linux-2.5.10/drivers/ide'

<-- snip -->

The .config I used when observing this problem is attached.

cu
Adrian

--

You only think this is a free country. Like the US the UK spends a lot of
time explaining its a free country because its a police state.

Attachments:
.config (41.43 kB)

2002-04-27 18:46:44

by Dave Jones

On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 08:34:47PM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> there are changes in the 2.5.10-dj1 patch that aren't in the 2.5.9-dj1
> patch that include removals of defines for TIMEOUT_VALUE and
> DEVICE_REQUEST that seem to cause the following compile error:

oops, accidentally dropped that when merging Martins updates.

add a #define TIMEOUT_VALUE (6*HZ) to hd.c
Also you should change..

- blk_init_queue(BLK_DEFAULT_QUEUE(MAJOR_NR), DEVICE_REQUEST, &hd_lock);
+ blk_init_queue(BLK_DEFAULT_QUEUE(MAJOR_NR), do_hd_request, &hd_lock);

At line 830 or so.

--
| Dave Jones. http://www.codemonkey.org.uk
| SuSE Labs

2002-04-28 11:45:28

by Rudmer van Dijk

On Saturday 27 April 2002 15:51, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 02:51:21PM +0200, Rudmer van Dijk wrote:
> > compiled fine, but after booting the system does not respond to the
> > keyboard (I can see the message "serio: i8042 KBD port at 0x60,0x64 irq
> > 1" om my screen)
>
> There are some reports that ACPI is having a bad interaction with the
> keyboard controller. For now, disabling it may fix this.

I have no ACPI or APM enabled (mobo does not know what it is)

> > The system also hangs after fscking my root partition (fsck completed
> > without errors)
> > After my harddisks went to sleep I switched the system off and after
> > booting the kernel (2.4.19-pre7) panics (and the caps- and scroll-lock
> > leds are blinking) as it can not mount the root fs due to the following
> > errors: EXT2-fs error (device ide0(3,1)): ext2_check_descriptors: Block
> > bitmap for group 0 not in group (block 0)!
> > EXT2-fs: group descriptors corrupted!
>
> This is somewhat disturbing. I'll look over the VFS changes, but I'm not
> aware of anything added specifically to my tree that could cause this,
> so it may be either an ext2 issue in mainline, or one of the drivers.

It happens after fsck (1.27) examined the root partition (hda1) finished and
the bootscripts executed the next command (fsck hdc1)
with exactly the same fsck on 2.4.19-pre7 everything is fine (after repairing
the damage done in 2.5.10-dj1)

luckily I do not have a cdrom or floppy drive attached so it was easy to
recover :), going to create a 'rescue' partition...

BTW, I had this same problem with 2.5.9-dj1... not tried with 2.5.9 or 2.5.10.

> IDE ? SCSI ?

IDE

frodo:~ # lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 430FX - 82437FX TSC [Triton I] (rev 02)
00:07.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82371FB PIIX ISA [Triton I] (rev 02)
00:08.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. 86c764/765 [Trio32/64/64V+]
00:11.0 Ethernet controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] 79c970 [PCnet
LANCE] (rev 16)

IDE/ATA part of my .config:
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI is not set

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI and CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PIIX were set in 2.5.9-dj1 but
that generated the same problem.

Rudmer

2002-04-28 19:58:20

by Alexander Hoogerhuis

Rudmer van Dijk <[email protected]> writes:

> On Saturday 27 April 2002 15:51, Dave Jones wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 02:51:21PM +0200, Rudmer van Dijk wrote:
> > > compiled fine, but after booting the system does not respond to the
> > > keyboard (I can see the message "serio: i8042 KBD port at 0x60,0x64 irq
> > > 1" om my screen)
> >
> > There are some reports that ACPI is having a bad interaction with the
> > keyboard controller. For now, disabling it may fix this.
>
> I have no ACPI or APM enabled (mobo does not know what it is)

I have an Compaq Armada M700, same problem. No ACPI configured,
symtoms vary a bit from kernel to kernel, but generally either
keyboard is totally dead, or it starts to get utterly confused about
caps lock and shift.

On 2.5.10-dj1 it works like this: keyboard led is responsive to
hitting caps lock, but when LED is off I get upper case letter typed,
and when LED is off I get lower case letters. However, the strange bit
is that lets say I type in my username and password so that they
appear in lowercase on the screen, I still don't get in. And just fir
having tried, typing with the caps lock LED off, thus getting upper
case text, doesn't help either.

Any pointer to where I go off to track this down?

ttfn,
Alexander Hoogerhuis | [email protected]
CCNP - CCDP - MCNE - CCSE | +47 908 21 485
"You have zero privacy anyway. Get over it." --Scott McNealy

2002-04-28 20:38:44

by Dave Jones

> On 2.5.10-dj1 it works like this: keyboard led is responsive to
> hitting caps lock, but when LED is off I get upper case letter typed,
> and when LED is off I get lower case letters. However, the strange bit
> is that lets say I type in my username and password so that they
> appear in lowercase on the screen, I still don't get in. And just fir
> having tried, typing with the caps lock LED off, thus getting upper
> case text, doesn't help either.
>
> Any pointer to where I go off to track this down?

Add a #define ATKBD_DEBUG to drivers/input/keyboard/atkbd.c
and a #define I8042_DEBUG_IO to drivers/input/serio/i8042.c, and maybe
Vojtech can figure out whats going wrong from the output?

--
| Dave Jones. http://www.codemonkey.org.uk
| SuSE Labs

2002-04-28 20:49:47

by Rudmer van Dijk

On Sunday 28 April 2002 21:53, Alexander Hoogerhuis wrote:
> I have an Compaq Armada M700, same problem. No ACPI configured,
> symtoms vary a bit from kernel to kernel, but generally either
> keyboard is totally dead, or it starts to get utterly confused about
> caps lock and shift.
>
> On 2.5.10-dj1 it works like this: keyboard led is responsive to
> hitting caps lock, but when LED is off I get upper case letter typed,
> and when LED is off I get lower case letters. However, the strange bit
> is that lets say I type in my username and password so that they
> appear in lowercase on the screen, I still don't get in. And just fir
> having tried, typing with the caps lock LED off, thus getting upper
> case text, doesn't help either.

I never saw this, but sometimes the keyboard is totally dead, and sometimes
it is dead on startup but after about an hour it is working...

And for the mouse (a Logitech Optical Wheelmouse or a Fujitsu-Siemens
wheelmouse) the scrollwheel does not work (it does for 2.4.x)

Rudmer

2002-04-28 22:47:19

by Vojtech Pavlik

On Sun, Apr 28, 2002 at 10:38:42PM +0200, Dave Jones wrote:

> > On 2.5.10-dj1 it works like this: keyboard led is responsive to
> > hitting caps lock, but when LED is off I get upper case letter typed,
> > and when LED is off I get lower case letters. However, the strange bit
> > is that lets say I type in my username and password so that they
> > appear in lowercase on the screen, I still don't get in. And just fir
> > having tried, typing with the caps lock LED off, thus getting upper
> > case text, doesn't help either.
> >
> > Any pointer to where I go off to track this down?
>
> Add a #define ATKBD_DEBUG to drivers/input/keyboard/atkbd.c
> and a #define I8042_DEBUG_IO to drivers/input/serio/i8042.c, and maybe
> Vojtech can figure out whats going wrong from the output?

Sure, I'll help where I can. What keyboard/computer is this?

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs

2002-04-28 23:53:47

by Petr Vandrovec

Subject: ext2 free blocks count corrupted (was Re: Linux 2.5.10-dj1)

On Sun, Apr 28, 2002 at 01:45:38PM +0200, Rudmer van Dijk wrote:
> On Saturday 27 April 2002 15:51, Dave Jones wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 02:51:21PM +0200, Rudmer van Dijk wrote:
> > > The system also hangs after fscking my root partition (fsck completed
> > > without errors)
> > > After my harddisks went to sleep I switched the system off and after
> > > booting the kernel (2.4.19-pre7) panics (and the caps- and scroll-lock
> > > leds are blinking) as it can not mount the root fs due to the following
> > > errors: EXT2-fs error (device ide0(3,1)): ext2_check_descriptors: Block
> > > bitmap for group 0 not in group (block 0)!
> > > EXT2-fs: group descriptors corrupted!
> >
> > This is somewhat disturbing. I'll look over the VFS changes, but I'm not
> > aware of anything added specifically to my tree that could cause this,
> > so it may be either an ext2 issue in mainline, or one of the drivers.
>
> It happens after fsck (1.27) examined the root partition (hda1) finished and
> the bootscripts executed the next command (fsck hdc1)
> with exactly the same fsck on 2.4.19-pre7 everything is fine (after repairing
> the damage done in 2.5.10-dj1)

I had up-2.5.8 at home few minutes ago, and I decided to build new kernel,
and copy new debian packages from transport disk (6GB IDE) to main disk
(80GB IDE, both on onboard Promise), like I do every week when I come home.
During kernel build (on 80GB) & debian tree copy (from 6GB->80GB) I was
rewarded with

EXT2-fs error (device ide2(33,5)): ext2_new_block: Free blocks count corrupted for block group 19
Remounting filesystem read-only

and fsck (without reboot) said:

ppc:/usr/src/linus/linux-2.5.10# fsck /
fsck 1.27 (8-Mar-2002)
e2fsck 1.27 (8-Mar-2002)
/dev/hde5 contains a file system with errors, check forced.
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information
Block bitmap differences: -(655354--655355) -655357
Fix<y>? yes

Free blocks count wrong for group #19 (0, counted=3).
Fix<y>? yes

/dev/hde5: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
/dev/hde5: 392606/1954560 files (4.7% non-contiguous), 3463664/3905795 blocks

File copied at crash was /mirrors/debian/.../libforms0.89_0.89-12.tar.gz,
and debugfs says about this inode (note that blocks above do not
belong to that file, they probably belonged to the kernel compilation...)
(also file was copied completely (and matches original), but timestamp
was not set):

Inode: 311820 Type: regular Mode: 0600 Flags: 0x0 Generation:
3430397368
User: 0 Group: 0 Size: 9546288
File ACL: 0 Directory ACL: 0
Links: 1 Blockcount: 18680
Fragment: Address: 0 Number: 0 Size: 0
ctime: 0x3ccc78d7 -- Mon Apr 29 00:33:59 2002
atime: 0x3ccc7d6c -- Mon Apr 29 00:53:32 2002
mtime: 0x3ccc78d7 -- Mon Apr 29 00:33:59 2002
BLOCKS:
(0-1):633762-633763, (2-7):633779-633784, (8-11):633789-633792,
(IND):633814, (12-14):633815-633817, (15-28):633825-633838,
(29-35):633934-633940, (36-48):634025-634037, (49-58):634057-634066,
(59-66):634090-634097, (67-75):634099-634107, (76-84):634121-634129,
(85-95):634507-634517, (96-103):634633-634640, (104-112):634642-634650,
(113-115):634662-634664, (116-117):635079-635080,
(118-125):635337-635344, (126):635397, (127-137):635473-635483,
(138-142):635507-635511, (143-152):635593-635602, (153):635604,
(154-167):635625-635638, (168-175):635675-635682,
(176-184):635684-635692, (185-195):635705-635715,
(196-200):635756-635760, (201-213):635786-635798,
(214-220):636002-636008, (221-225):636031-636035,
(226-232):636118-636124, (233-242):636130-636139,
(243-255):636153-636165, (256-257):636186-636187,
(258-268):636201-636211, (269-270):636255-636256,
(271-277):636269-636275, (278-281):636313-636316,
(282-291):636349-636358, (292-298):636369-636375,
(299-305):636417-636423, (306):636485, (307-316):636505-636514,
(317-324):636530-636537, (325-331):636821-636827,
(332-342):636857-636867, (343-345):636877-636879, (346):636898,
(347-348):636920-636921, (349):636931, (350):636942, (351):636951,
(352-362):636969-636979, (363-374):637033-637044,
(375-380):637743-637748, (381-394):637857-637870, (395):638019,
(396-409):638025-638038, (410-414):638282-638286, (415):638307,
(416-428):638313-638325, (429-436):638361-638368,
(437-443):638409-638415, (444-451):638449-638456,
(452-460):638458-638466, (461-469):638468-638476,
(470-479):638492-638501, (480-487):638526-638533,
(488-500):638545-638557, (501-510):638572-638581,
(511-517):638601-638607, (518-523):638805-638810,
(524-534):639489-639499, (535-544):639593-639602,
(545-554):639604-639613, (555-564):639653-639662,
(565-573):639665-639673, (574-582):639937-639945,
(583-592):640019-640028, (593-602):640041-640050,
(603-612):640052-640061, (613-622):640075-640084,
(623-632):640133-640142, (633-642):640157-640166,
(643-644):640204-640205, (645-654):640234-640243,
(655-657):640253-640255, (658-668):640291-640301,
(669-676):640323-640330, (677-685):640355-640363,
(686-695):640365-640374, (696-703):640417-640424,
(704-712):640427-640435, (713-722):640458-640467,
(723-732):640469-640478, (733-734):640510-640511,
(735-742):640514-640521, (743-751):640523-640531,
(752-761):640555-640564, (762-771):640580-640589, (772):641341,
(773-778):641921-641926, (779-791):642393-642405,
(792-804):642410-642422, (805-815):642425-642435,
(816-826):642497-642507, (827-835):642510-642518, (836):642529,
(837):642680, (838-845):642738-642745, (846-850):643020-643024,
(851-858):643059-643066, (859-867):643068-643076,
(868-876):643078-643086, (877-886):643105-643114,
(887-895):643242-643250, (896):643297, (897-903):643305-643311,
(904-913):643314-643323,
(914-916):643335-643337, (917-928):643345-643356,
(929-933):643404-643408, (934-942):643430-643438,
(943-951):643502-643510, (952-961):643524-643533,
(962-970):643537-643545, (971-980):643548-643557,
(981-990):643570-643579, (991-1000):643581-643590,
(1001-1008):643604-643611, (1009-1017):643613-643621,
(1018-1025):643637-643644, (1026-1034):643646-643654, (1035):643666,
(DIND):643667, (IND):643668, (1036-1042):643669-643675,
(1043-1052):643677-643686, (1053-1060):643700-643707,
(1061-1069):643709-643717, (1070-1080):643739-643749,
(1081-1089):643773-643781, (1090-1099):643805-643814,
(1100-1110):643834-643844, (1111-1121):643866-643876,
(1122-1132):643890-643900, (1133):643926, (1134-1144):643946-643956,
(1145):643958, (1146-1156):644068-644078, (1157-1164):644093-644100,
(1165-1173):644102-644110, (1174-1183):644122-644131,
(1184-1193):644133-644142, (1194-1206):644170-644182,
(1207-1215):644197-644205, (1216-1222):644209-644215, (1223):644217,
(1224-1230):644447-644453, (1231-1240):644465-644474,
(1241-1250):644476-644485, (1251-1255):646748-646752,
(1256-1258):647744-647746, (1259-1260):648398-648399,
(1261-1263):648557-648559, (1264):649316, (1265-1268):649804-649807,
(1269-1270):649977-649978, (1271-1274):649999-650002, (1275):651723,
(1276):652274, (1277-1284):654547-654554, (1285-1293):654613-654621,
(1294-1303):654635-654644, (1304-1313):654661-654670,
(1314-1323):654684-654693, (1324-1333):654713-654722,
(1334-1343):654724-654733, (1344-1353):654746-654755,
(1354-1363):654769-654778, (1364-1373):654780-654789,
(1374-1383):654805-654814, (1384-1392):654851-654859,
(1393-1401):654861-654869, (1402-1411):654882-654891,
(1412-1421):654893-654902, (1422-1428):654921-654927, (1429):654929,
(1430-1431):655019-655020, (1432-1436):655060-655064,
(1437-1449):655082-655094, (1450-1458):655105-655113,
(1459-1467):655345-655353, (1468):655356, (1469-1470):655358-655359,
(1471-1601):687867-687997, (1602-1693):688036-688127,
(1694-1853):702937-703096, (1854-1856):703098-703100,
(1857-1870):703102-703115, (1871-1872):703123-703124,
(1873-1884):703126-703137, (1885-1889):703141-703145,
(1890-1917):703185-703212, (1918-1941):703215-703238,
(1942-1947):703240-703245, (1948-1978):703247-703277,
(1979-2050):703388-703459, (2051-2059):703461-703469, (IND):703470,
(2060-2210):703471-703621, (2211-2222):703624-703635,
(2223-2291):703637-703705, (2292-2294):703707-703709,
(2295-2298):703711-703714, (2299-2302):703716-703719,
(2303-2304):703722-703723, (2305-2330):703725-703750
TOTAL: 2335

2002-04-29 01:26:44

by Chris Wright

* Rudmer van Dijk ([email protected]) wrote:
> On Saturday 27 April 2002 15:51, Dave Jones wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 02:51:21PM +0200, Rudmer van Dijk wrote:
> > > The system also hangs after fscking my root partition (fsck completed
> > > without errors)
> > > After my harddisks went to sleep I switched the system off and after
> > > booting the kernel (2.4.19-pre7) panics (and the caps- and scroll-lock
> > > leds are blinking) as it can not mount the root fs due to the following
> > > errors: EXT2-fs error (device ide0(3,1)): ext2_check_descriptors: Block
> > > bitmap for group 0 not in group (block 0)!
> > > EXT2-fs: group descriptors corrupted!
> >
> > This is somewhat disturbing. I'll look over the VFS changes, but I'm not
> > aware of anything added specifically to my tree that could cause this,
> > so it may be either an ext2 issue in mainline, or one of the drivers.

I had the same problem with mainline 2.5.10. fsck is hanging trying to
acquire BKL.

cheers,
-chris

2002-04-29 09:19:00

by Adrian Bunk

Hi Dave,

while building 2.5.10-dj the following build error occured that doesn't
occur when I back out the changes to drivers/scsi/aic7xxx/aicasm that are
in the -dj1 patch:

<-- snip -->

make[5]: Entering directory
`/home/bunk/linux/kernel-2.5/linux-2.5.10/drivers/sc
si/aic7xxx/aicasm'
yacc -d -b aicasm_gram aicasm_gram.y
aicasm_gram.y:921: warning: previous rule lacks an ending `;'
aicasm_gram.y:935: warning: previous rule lacks an ending `;'
mv aicasm_gram.tab.c aicasm_gram.c
mv aicasm_gram.tab.h aicasm_gram.h
lex -t aicasm_scan.l > aicasm_scan.c
gcc -I/usr/include -I. -ldb aicasm.c aicasm_symbol.c aicasm_gram.c
aicasm_macro_gram.c aicasm_scan.c aicasm_macro_scan.c -o aicasm
aicasm_gram.y:1846: warning: type mismatch with previous implicit
declaration
/usr/share/bison/bison.simple:924: warning: previous implicit declaration
of `yyerror'
aicasm_gram.y:1846: warning: `yyerror' was previously implicitly declared
to return `int'
aicasm_macro_gram.y:162: warning: type mismatch with previous implicit
declaration
/usr/share/bison/bison.simple:924: warning: previous implicit declaration
of `mmerror'
aicasm_macro_gram.y:162: warning: `mmerror' was previously implicitly
declared to return `int'
make[5]: Leaving directory
`/home/bunk/linux/kernel-2.5/linux-2.5.10/drivers/scsi/aic7xxx/aicasm'
aicasm/aicasm -I. -r aic7xxx_reg.h -o aic7xxx_seq.h aic7xxx.seq
aicasm/aicasm: Stopped at file aic7xxx.reg, line 1013 - parse error
aicasm/aicasm: Removing aic7xxx_seq.h due to error
aicasm/aicasm: Removing aic7xxx_reg.h due to error
make[4]: *** [aic7xxx_reg.h] Error 65
make[4]: Leaving directory