2002-06-01 11:04:01

by Anthony Spinillo

Subject: INTEL 845G Chipset IDE Quandry

I am having trouble enabling DMA on a recently
installed motherboard. (Intel D845GBVL - 845g chipset). I am running a fresh RedHat7.3 install
and have tried the stock RH kernel, and I'm up to 2.4.19-pre9. I have a CD burner and DVD drive
attached which operated with DMA on an older
845 mobo. If I run hdparm -d1 /dev/hd(a or c),
I now get:

HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted

Here is a snippet from dmesg:

ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes;
override with idebus=xx
PCI_IDE: unknown IDE controller on PCI bus 00 device
f9, VID=8086, DID=24cb
PCI: Device 00:1f.1 not available because of resource
collisions
PCI_IDE: (ide_setup_pci_device:) Could not enable
device.

Here is some lspci

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 2560 (rev 01)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 2561 (rev 01)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 24c2 (rev 01)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 24c4 (rev 01)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 24c7 (rev 01)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82801BA/CA PCI Bridge (rev 81)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 24c0 (rev 01)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 24cb (rev 01)

I followed some recent threads, and tried fixes to similiar problems but I'm still locked out.

Aside from this glitch everything else seems to run fine. Could someone give my a hand? Am I missing something simple, is my bios borked, or do I need a patch to support the newer chipset?

Thanks,

Tony