2002-06-06 15:23:47

by William Thompson

Subject: PDC20267 + RAID can't find raid device

After trying 2.4.19-pre10-ac2 I can finally use the PDC20267 controller,
however, it doesn't find any raid devices.

I have 2 quantum fireballlct10 05 on the controller (hde and hdg) and
created a stripe between these 2 disks in the controller's bios.

I can see both disks w/o problems.

I'd rather not use the linux software raid since you can't partition it.

IDE, PDC20267, FastTrak, and the raid driver are all compiled into the
kernel.

More info is available at request.

2002-06-06 18:57:06

by Alan

Subject: Re: PDC20267 + RAID can't find raid device

On Thu, 2002-06-06 at 16:19, William Thompson wrote:
> After trying 2.4.19-pre10-ac2 I can finally use the PDC20267 controller,
> however, it doesn't find any raid devices.

Great. One success to Hank at promise.

> I have 2 quantum fireballlct10 05 on the controller (hde and hdg) and
> created a stripe between these 2 disks in the controller's bios
> I can see both disks w/o problems.

Do you have the ataraid driver loaded - what did it report ?

2002-06-06 19:16:15

by William Thompson

> > I have 2 quantum fireballlct10 05 on the controller (hde and hdg) and
> > created a stripe between these 2 disks in the controller's bios
> > I can see both disks w/o problems.
>
> Do you have the ataraid driver loaded - what did it report ?

here's what's in my .config:
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PDC202XX=y
CONFIG_PDC202XX_FORCE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ATARAID=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ATARAID_PDC=y

As you can see, it's compiled into the kernel, it's not a loadable module.
However, I can change this. The machine is booting via network at the
moment while I'm testing it.

here's dmesg output (minus the network messages):
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
PDC20267: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 60
PDC20267: chipset revision 2
PDC20267: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
PDC20267: (U)DMA Burst Bit ENABLED Primary MASTER Mode Secondary MASTER Mode.
ide2: BM-DMA at 0xd800-0xd807, BIOS settings: hde:pio, hdf:pio
ide3: BM-DMA at 0xd808-0xd80f, BIOS settings: hdg:pio, hdh:pio
VP_IDE: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 89
VP_IDE: chipset revision 6
VP_IDE: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
VP_IDE: VIA vt8233 (rev 00) IDE UDMA100 controller on pci00:11.1
ide0: BM-DMA at 0xe000-0xe007, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio
ide1: BM-DMA at 0xe008-0xe00f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:DMA
hdd: CD-532E-B, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hde: QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 05, ATA DISK drive
hdg: QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 05, ATA DISK drive
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
ide2 at 0xc800-0xc807,0xcc02 on irq 11
ide3 at 0xd000-0xd007,0xd402 on irq 11
hde: host protected area => 1
hde: 10002825 sectors (5121 MB) w/418KiB Cache, CHS=10585/15/63, UDMA(33)
hdg: host protected area => 1
hdg: 10002825 sectors (5121 MB) w/418KiB Cache, CHS=10585/15/63, UDMA(33)
Partition check:
hde: unknown partition table
hdg: unknown partition table
[network messages remvoed]
Promise Fasttrak(tm) Softwareraid driver 0.03beta: No raid array found

The disks at hde and hdg were blanked prior to creating the array. The array
is a RAID0

2002-06-06 19:23:24

by Samuel Flory

It works for me once I got the right options. Did you enable the
"fasttrak feature"

I'm using the following options in my .config:
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PDC202XX=y
CONFIG_PDC202XX_BURST=y
CONFIG_PDC202XX_FORCE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ATARAID_PDC=y

One major issue for me is that you can use, and mount both the
/dev/ataraid/d0 devices, and the /dev/hd devices. This makes for lots
of fun in the Red Hat installer, and Cerberus.

On Thu, 2002-06-06 at 08:19, William Thompson wrote:
> After trying 2.4.19-pre10-ac2 I can finally use the PDC20267 controller,
> however, it doesn't find any raid devices.
>
> I have 2 quantum fireballlct10 05 on the controller (hde and hdg) and
> created a stripe between these 2 disks in the controller's bios.
>
> I can see both disks w/o problems.
>
> I'd rather not use the linux software raid since you can't partition it.
>
> IDE, PDC20267, FastTrak, and the raid driver are all compiled into the
> kernel.
>
> More info is available at request.
> -

by William Thompson

> It works for me once I got the right options. Did you enable the
> "fasttrak feature"
>
> I'm using the following options in my .config:
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PDC202XX=y
> CONFIG_PDC202XX_BURST=y
> CONFIG_PDC202XX_FORCE=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ATARAID_PDC=y

Only difference is the fact I didn't enable BURST. your other 3 options are
the same as mine.

The thing says:
Promise Fasttrak(tm) Softwareraid driver 0.03beta: No raid array found

> /dev/ataraid/d0 devices, and the /dev/hd devices. This makes for lots
> of fun in the Red Hat installer, and Cerberus.

I'm using debian, but I'm not actually installing the system, I'm copying
from another.

> > After trying 2.4.19-pre10-ac2 I can finally use the PDC20267 controller,
> > however, it doesn't find any raid devices.
> >
> > I have 2 quantum fireballlct10 05 on the controller (hde and hdg) and
> > created a stripe between these 2 disks in the controller's bios.
> >
> > I can see both disks w/o problems.
> >
> > I'd rather not use the linux software raid since you can't partition it.
> >
> > IDE, PDC20267, FastTrak, and the raid driver are all compiled into the
> > kernel.
> >
> > More info is available at request.
> > -
> > the body of a message to [email protected]

by Samuel Flory

Are you sure you have the raid array configured in the fasttrak bios?
I don't think enabling brust should matter. It's working for me:

Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 6.31
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with
idebus=xx
PDC20267: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 18
PDC20267: chipset revision 2
PDC20267: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
PDC20267: ROM enabled at 0xfeae0000
PDC20267: (U)DMA Burst Bit ENABLED Primary MASTER Mode Secondary MASTER
Mode.
ide2: BM-DMA at 0xdf00-0xdf07, BIOS settings: hde:pio, hdf:pio
ide3: BM-DMA at 0xdf08-0xdf0f, BIOS settings: hdg:pio, hdh:pio
SvrWks OSB4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 79
SvrWks OSB4: chipset revision 0
SvrWks OSB4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
ide0: BM-DMA at 0xffa0-0xffa7, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio
ide1: BM-DMA at 0xffa8-0xffaf, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
hde: ST320410A, ATA DISK drive
hdg: ST320410A, ATA DISK drive
ide2 at 0xdfe0-0xdfe7,0xdfae on irq 31
ide3 at 0xdfa0-0xdfa7,0xdfaa on irq 31
hde: host protected area => 1
hde: 39102336 sectors (20020 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=38792/16/63,
UDMA(100)
hdg: host protected area => 1
hdg: 39102336 sectors (20020 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=38792/16/63,
UDMA(100)
ide-floppy driver 0.99.newide
Partition check:
hde: [PTBL] [2434/255/63] hde1 hde2 hde3
hdg: [PTBL] [2434/255/63] hdg1 hdg2 hdg3
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
Partition check:
hde: [PTBL] [2434/255/63] hde1 hde2 hde3
hdg: [PTBL] [2434/255/63] hdg1 hdg2 hdg3
ataraid/d0: ataraid/d0p1 ataraid/d0p2 ataraid/d0p3
Drive 0 is 19092 Mb (33 / 0)
Drive 1 is 19092 Mb (34 / 0)
Raid1 array consists of 2 drives.
Promise Fasttrak(tm) Softwareraid driver for linux version 0.03beta
Highpoint HPT370 Softwareraid driver for linux version 0.01
No raid array found

On Thu, 2002-06-06 at 12:20, William Thompson wrote:
> > It works for me once I got the right options. Did you enable the
> > "fasttrak feature"
> >
> > I'm using the following options in my .config:
> > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PDC202XX=y
> > CONFIG_PDC202XX_BURST=y
> > CONFIG_PDC202XX_FORCE=y
> > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ATARAID_PDC=y
>
> Only difference is the fact I didn't enable BURST. your other 3 options are
> the same as mine.
>
> The thing says:
> Promise Fasttrak(tm) Softwareraid driver 0.03beta: No raid array found
>
> > /dev/ataraid/d0 devices, and the /dev/hd devices. This makes for lots
> > of fun in the Red Hat installer, and Cerberus.
>
> I'm using debian, but I'm not actually installing the system, I'm copying
> from another.
>
> > > After trying 2.4.19-pre10-ac2 I can finally use the PDC20267 controller,
> > > however, it doesn't find any raid devices.
> > >
> > > I have 2 quantum fireballlct10 05 on the controller (hde and hdg) and
> > > created a stripe between these 2 disks in the controller's bios.
> > >
> > > I can see both disks w/o problems.
> > >
> > > I'd rather not use the linux software raid since you can't partition it.
> > >
> > > IDE, PDC20267, FastTrak, and the raid driver are all compiled into the
> > > kernel.
> > >
> > > More info is available at request.
> > > -
> > > To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
> > > the body of a message to [email protected]
> > > More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
> > > Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

2002-06-06 19:48:42

by William Thompson

> Are you sure you have the raid array configured in the fasttrak bios?
> I don't think enabling brust should matter. It's working for me:

Actually, I don't know, but it says it's there according to it's bios.

> Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 6.31
> ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with
> idebus=xx
> PDC20267: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 18
> PDC20267: chipset revision 2
> PDC20267: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
> PDC20267: ROM enabled at 0xfeae0000
> PDC20267: (U)DMA Burst Bit ENABLED Primary MASTER Mode Secondary MASTER
> Mode.
> ide2: BM-DMA at 0xdf00-0xdf07, BIOS settings: hde:pio, hdf:pio
> ide3: BM-DMA at 0xdf08-0xdf0f, BIOS settings: hdg:pio, hdh:pio
> SvrWks OSB4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 79
> SvrWks OSB4: chipset revision 0
> SvrWks OSB4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
> ide0: BM-DMA at 0xffa0-0xffa7, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio
> ide1: BM-DMA at 0xffa8-0xffaf, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
> hde: ST320410A, ATA DISK drive
> hdg: ST320410A, ATA DISK drive
> ide2 at 0xdfe0-0xdfe7,0xdfae on irq 31
> ide3 at 0xdfa0-0xdfa7,0xdfaa on irq 31
> hde: host protected area => 1
> hde: 39102336 sectors (20020 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=38792/16/63,
> UDMA(100)
> hdg: host protected area => 1
> hdg: 39102336 sectors (20020 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=38792/16/63,
> UDMA(100)
> ide-floppy driver 0.99.newide
> Partition check:
> hde: [PTBL] [2434/255/63] hde1 hde2 hde3
> hdg: [PTBL] [2434/255/63] hdg1 hdg2 hdg3
> Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
> Partition check:
> hde: [PTBL] [2434/255/63] hde1 hde2 hde3
> hdg: [PTBL] [2434/255/63] hdg1 hdg2 hdg3
> ataraid/d0: ataraid/d0p1 ataraid/d0p2 ataraid/d0p3
> Drive 0 is 19092 Mb (33 / 0)
> Drive 1 is 19092 Mb (34 / 0)
> Raid1 array consists of 2 drives.
> Promise Fasttrak(tm) Softwareraid driver for linux version 0.03beta
> Highpoint HPT370 Softwareraid driver for linux version 0.01
> No raid array found
>
> On Thu, 2002-06-06 at 12:20, William Thompson wrote:
> > > It works for me once I got the right options. Did you enable the
> > > "fasttrak feature"
> > >
> > > I'm using the following options in my .config:
> > > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PDC202XX=y
> > > CONFIG_PDC202XX_BURST=y
> > > CONFIG_PDC202XX_FORCE=y
> > > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ATARAID_PDC=y
> >
> > Only difference is the fact I didn't enable BURST. your other 3 options are
> > the same as mine.
> >
> > The thing says:
> > Promise Fasttrak(tm) Softwareraid driver 0.03beta: No raid array found
> >
> > > /dev/ataraid/d0 devices, and the /dev/hd devices. This makes for lots
> > > of fun in the Red Hat installer, and Cerberus.
> >
> > I'm using debian, but I'm not actually installing the system, I'm copying
> > from another.

2002-06-07 13:49:26

by William Thompson

> Are you sure you have the raid array configured in the fasttrak bios?
> I don't think enabling brust should matter. It's working for me:

As I said in my last email, this is a test machine right now. I had a win
2000 image so I threw that on there to see if the array was actually there.
It was.

I rebooted the machine into linux and it can't find any raid arrays.

Even a dos boot disk sees the array ok.

2002-06-07 14:35:42

by Alan

On Thu, 2002-06-06 at 20:18, Samuel Flory wrote:
> One major issue for me is that you can use, and mount both the
> /dev/ataraid/d0 devices, and the /dev/hd devices. This makes for lots
> of fun in the Red Hat installer, and Cerberus.

Stupidity management for the superuser is a user space issue in Unix
systems. If the RH installer does let you do stupid things, please
bugzilla it.

2002-06-07 15:41:07

by William Thompson

> > I have 2 quantum fireballlct10 05 on the controller (hde and hdg) and
> > created a stripe between these 2 disks in the controller's bios
> > I can see both disks w/o problems.
>
> Do you have the ataraid driver loaded - what did it report ?

I tried compiling as modules to see if that would make a difference.

Upon loading ide-probe-mod.o, it finds the 2 hdds that's on the promise card
and hangs (doesn't do this when compiled into the kernel). At this point,
sysrq works just fine so I assume it just killed userland (I can't even
telnet into the box).

The HDDs are quantum hdds, that wouldn't be causing the problem, would it?

2002-06-07 19:59:23

by Samuel Flory

On Fri, 2002-06-07 at 08:28, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-06-06 at 20:18, Samuel Flory wrote:
> > One major issue for me is that you can use, and mount both the
> > /dev/ataraid/d0 devices, and the /dev/hd devices. This makes for lots
> > of fun in the Red Hat installer, and Cerberus.
>
> Stupidity management for the superuser is a user space issue in Unix
> systems. If the RH installer does let you do stupid things, please
> bugzilla it.

Actually I was looking at what it would take to add support for
ataraid in the RH installer. Is there some simple way to determine that
a device is a part of an ataraid array? Parsing dmesg makes for some
really ugly and easily broken code.

2002-06-07 20:03:19

by William Thompson

> > > One major issue for me is that you can use, and mount both the
> > > /dev/ataraid/d0 devices, and the /dev/hd devices. This makes for lots
> > > of fun in the Red Hat installer, and Cerberus.
> >
> > Stupidity management for the superuser is a user space issue in Unix
> > systems. If the RH installer does let you do stupid things, please
> > bugzilla it.
>
> Actually I was looking at what it would take to add support for
> ataraid in the RH installer. Is there some simple way to determine that
> a device is a part of an ataraid array? Parsing dmesg makes for some
> really ugly and easily broken code.

The controller IIRC writes this information on the disk. I'm pretty sure
it's toward the end of the disk though.