2002-06-10 18:11:17

by Richard B. Johnson

Subject: Firewire Disks. (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Richard B. Johnson" <[email protected]>
Subject: Firewire Disks.

I know there is support for "firewire" in the kernel. Is there
support for "firewire" disks? If so, how do I enable it?

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Windows-2000/Professional isn't.

2002-06-17 12:49:38

by Richard B. Johnson

Subject: Re: Firewire Disks. (fwd)

On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Roberto Nibali wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > I know there is support for "firewire" in the kernel. Is there
> > support for "firewire" disks? If so, how do I enable it?
>
> Yes, there is and it is attached to the SCSI layer via the sbp2 driver.
> You need following set of modules to get it working:
>
> scsi_mod, sd_mod, ohci1394, raw1394, ieee1394, sbp2
>
> I know that you will find out which options you need to enable in the
> kernel config ;).
>
> You might want to check out the CVS version of the ieee1394 drivers but
> I don't think it is necessary. It works perfectly back here with a
> Maxtor 160GB. Funny enough I had 158GB with the VFAT on it and 152GB
> with ext2/ext3.
>
> The speed results were also quite interessing:
>
> VFAT writing : 12.8 Mbyte/s
> ext2/ext3 writing: 19.2 Mbyte/s
>
> I simply like that disk and it's a nice extension for a laptop :).
>
> Cheers,
> Roberto Nibali, ratz

Well. I have been experimenting and a Firewire CD-R/W is found and
accessible. However, a 80 Gb Maxtor hard disk is not. I had to
copy from an RS-232C screen because the resounding crash(es) repeat
forever until I hit the reset switch. <EOL> == "end of line with
data missing after".

ohci1394: $Revision: 1.80 $ Ben Collins <[email protected]>
ohci1394_0: OHCI-1394 1.0 (PCI): IRQ=[9] MMIO=[febfd000-febfe000] Max
Packet=[ <EOL>
ieee1394: Device added: Node 0:1023, GUID 00063a0245003973
ieee1394: sbp2: Driver forced to serialize I/O (serialize_io = 1)
ieee1394: sbp2: Node 0:1023: Max speed [S400] - Max payload [1024]
scsi2 : IEEE-1394 SBP-2 protocol driver
scsi: unknown type 24
Vendor: GHIJKLMN Model: OPQRSTUVWXYZ Rev: "Unprintable junk"
Type: Unknown ANSI SCSI revision: 03
resize_dma_pool: unknown device type 24

Startup messages continue without further references to either SCSI
or IEEE1394. The crash occurs when my SCSI root-file system is first
referenced after initrd completes (pivot_root).

When this 80 Gb drive is used under W$, on the same machine, I see
no evidence of "GHIJKLMN" or "OPQRSTUVWXYZ" although the device-manager
doesn't let you read physical device info like it does with SCSI.

Number 24, shown above, is ^X, not part of the obvious
"ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ" string that we see parts of above. So
it doesn't look like a read from the wrong offset during the device-
inquiry.

I'm using Linux-2.4.18. Maybe there is a more "mature" version
of sbp2 I should be using??

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Windows-2000/Professional isn't.

2002-06-17 16:46:00

by Richard B. Johnson

On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Ben Collins wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 02:11:21PM -0400, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

Okay. I did that. It doesn't work as for a 80 Gb hard disk, but
it works for a CD-R/W.

More follows..........

On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Roberto Nibali wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > I know there is support for "firewire" in the kernel. Is there
> > support for "firewire" disks? If so, how do I enable it?
>
> Yes, there is and it is attached to the SCSI layer via the sbp2 driver.
> You need following set of modules to get it working:
>
> scsi_mod, sd_mod, ohci1394, raw1394, ieee1394, sbp2
>
> I know that you will find out which options you need to enable in the
> kernel config ;).
>
> You might want to check out the CVS version of the ieee1394 drivers but
> I don't think it is necessary. It works perfectly back here with a
> Maxtor 160GB. Funny enough I had 158GB with the VFAT on it and 152GB
> with ext2/ext3.
>
> The speed results were also quite interessing:
>
> VFAT writing : 12.8 Mbyte/s
> ext2/ext3 writing: 19.2 Mbyte/s
>
> I simply like that disk and it's a nice extension for a laptop :).
>
> Cheers,
> Roberto Nibali, ratz

Well. I have been experimenting and a Firewire CD-R/W is found and
accessible. However, a 80 Gb Maxtor hard disk is not. I had to
copy from an RS-232C screen because the resounding crash(es) repeat
forever until I hit the reset switch. <EOL> == "end of line with
data missing after".

ohci1394: $Revision: 1.80 $ Ben Collins <[email protected]>
ohci1394_0: OHCI-1394 1.0 (PCI): IRQ=[9] MMIO=[febfd000-febfe000] Max
Packet=[ <EOL>
ieee1394: Device added: Node 0:1023, GUID 00063a0245003973
ieee1394: sbp2: Driver forced to serialize I/O (serialize_io = 1)
ieee1394: sbp2: Node 0:1023: Max speed [S400] - Max payload [1024]
scsi2 : IEEE-1394 SBP-2 protocol driver
scsi: unknown type 24
Vendor: GHIJKLMN Model: OPQRSTUVWXYZ Rev: "Unprintable junk"
Type: Unknown ANSI SCSI revision: 03
resize_dma_pool: unknown device type 24

Startup messages continue without further references to either SCSI
or IEEE1394. The crash occurs when my SCSI root-file system is first
referenced after initrd completes (pivot_root).

When this 80 Gb drive is used under W$, on the same machine, I see
no evidence of "GHIJKLMN" or "OPQRSTUVWXYZ" although the device-manager
doesn't let you read physical device info like it does with SCSI.

Number 24, shown above, is ^X, not part of the obvious
"ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ" string that we see parts of above. So
it doesn't look like a read from the wrong offset during the device-
inquiry.

I'm using Linux-2.4.18. Maybe there is a more "mature" version
of sbp2 I should be using??

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Windows-2000/Professional isn't.

2002-06-17 17:32:57

by Ben Collins

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 12:46:00PM -0400, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Ben Collins wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 02:11:21PM -0400, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

You are using old drivers. The oddities with the newer SBP-2 drives has
been fixed in later 2.4.19-pre kernels, aswell as the source from our
subversion repository. You can get a tarball of the repo from here:

http://svn.debian.org/linux1394/tarballs/

Move drivers/ieee1394/ out of the way, and unpack that (still requires a
2.4.19-pre kernel though).

--
Debian - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://linux1394.sourceforge.net/

2002-06-10 18:23:06

by Ben Collins

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 02:11:21PM -0400, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

2002-06-10 18:24:33

by Roberto Nibali

Hi,

> I know there is support for "firewire" in the kernel. Is there
> support for "firewire" disks? If so, how do I enable it?

Yes, there is and it is attached to the SCSI layer via the sbp2 driver.
You need following set of modules to get it working:

scsi_mod, sd_mod, ohci1394, raw1394, ieee1394, sbp2

I know that you will find out which options you need to enable in the
kernel config ;).

You might want to check out the CVS version of the ieee1394 drivers but
I don't think it is necessary. It works perfectly back here with a
Maxtor 160GB. Funny enough I had 158GB with the VFAT on it and 152GB
with ext2/ext3.

The speed results were also quite interessing:

VFAT writing : 12.8 Mbyte/s
ext2/ext3 writing: 19.2 Mbyte/s

I simply like that disk and it's a nice extension for a laptop :).

Cheers,
Roberto Nibali, ratz
--
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq'|dc

2002-06-10 18:26:15

by Richard B. Johnson

On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Ben Collins wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 02:11:21PM -0400, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

Okay, thanks.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Windows-2000/Professional isn't.

2002-06-10 18:59:39

by Andre Bonin

Roberto Nibali wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> I know there is support for "firewire" in the kernel. Is there
>> support for "firewire" disks? If so, how do I enable it?
>

> Yes, there is and it is attached to the SCSI layer via the sbp2 driver.
> You need following set of modules to get it working:
>
> scsi_mod, sd_mod, ohci1394, raw1394, ieee1394, sbp2

A lot of caddies that wrap hd's have started coming out and, as you may
know, USB 2.0 supports 480mbps x-fer rate (ideal). So it's pretty
intreguing.

Does the SCSI layer via sbp2 provide functionality for USB 2.0 (EHCI)
disks?

2002-06-10 19:12:53

by Erik Andersen

On Mon Jun 10, 2002 at 02:59:16PM -0400, Andre Bonin wrote:
> A lot of caddies that wrap hd's have started coming out and, as you may
> know, USB 2.0 supports 480mbps x-fer rate (ideal). So it's pretty
> intreguing.

The 480mbps ideal is more like 240 in practice....

> Does the SCSI layer via sbp2 provide functionality for USB 2.0 (EHCI)
> disks?

USB 2.0 mass storage devices are a horse of an entirely
different color....

-Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen http://codepoet-consulting.com/

by Greg KH

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 02:59:16PM -0400, Andre Bonin wrote:

> Does the SCSI layer via sbp2 provide functionality for USB 2.0 (EHCI)
> disks?

Yes, but it's supported by the usb-storage driver, not the ieee1394
driver :)

greg k-h

2002-06-10 20:19:39

by Roberto Nibali

Hello,

> A lot of caddies that wrap hd's have started coming out and, as you may
> know, USB 2.0 supports 480mbps x-fer rate (ideal). So it's pretty
> intreguing.

Yeah, I know but ieee1394 with 400Mbps is fast enough for my laptop and
honestly I doubt that either one, be it USB2.0 or ieee1394, can really
sustain this high transfer rate for a reasonable amount of time. And for
most applications it is simply not needed. Maybe if you do TCP/IP over
those technologies. But YMMV and I accept that. For me it was the
cheapest alternative (450 bucks) to buying another harddisk for my laptop.

> Does the SCSI layer via sbp2 provide functionality for USB 2.0 (EHCI)
> disks?

Please read the first 150 lines of [1]. If you want USB2.0 (wrapped)
devices support you need to check out [2]. It's a 'glue' with the SCSI
subsystem, but Greg KH can tell you much more about it.

[1] ../linux/drivers/ieee1394/sbp2.c
[2] ../linux/drivers/usb/storage/*, specially transport.c

Best regards,
Roberto Nibali, ratz
--
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq'|dc

2002-06-11 00:22:23

by Douglas Gilbert

Andre Bonin wrote:
>Roberto Nibali wrote:
>>> I know there is support for "firewire" in the kernel. Is there
>>> support for "firewire" disks? If so, how do I enable it?
>>

>> Yes, there is and it is attached to the SCSI layer via the sbp2 driver.
>> You need following set of modules to get it working:
>>
>> scsi_mod, sd_mod, ohci1394, raw1394, ieee1394, sbp2
>
>A lot of caddies that wrap hd's have started coming out and, as you may
>know, USB 2.0 supports 480mbps x-fer rate (ideal). So it's pretty
>intreguing.
>
>Does the SCSI layer via sbp2 provide functionality for USB 2.0 (EHCI)
>disks?

Yes, disks using USB (2.0 or 1.x) and ieee1394 protocols appear
as scsi disks in linux. Prompted by your question, I decided
to check that both are functioning in lk 2.5.21. [ide-scsi is
broken in lk 2.5.21 (worked in 2.5.20) and Martin says a fix is
coming.]

Here are 3 "scsi" disks on my system:
$ cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
Vendor: SEAGATE Model: ST318451LW Rev: 0003
Host: scsi3 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
Vendor: QUANTUM Model: FIREBALL ST3.2A Rev:
Host: scsi4 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
Vendor: MAXTOR 6 Model: L040J2 Rev: AR1.

The Seagate disk is "real" scsi, the Quantum is an old IDE disk
in a ieee1394 enclosure, while the Maxtor is recent ATA disk
in a USB 2.0 enclosure. Here are the modules loaded:
$ lsmod
Module Size Used by
usb-storage 69776 0
ehci-hcd 23600 0 (unused)
sbp2 15536 0 (unused)
ohci1394 18608 0 (unused)
ieee1394 30704 0 [sbp2 ohci1394]
usbcore 65920 1 [usb-storage ehci-hcd]

Both sd_mod and scsi_mod are built into the kernel in my system.

If I use the Maxtor in either enclosure, the streaming bandwidth
is 14 MB/sec which should be more than sufficient for most
purposes.

One interesting development in the lk 2.5 series is driverfs.
It may give us a consistent way to show what is going on here
under the covers. It will also allow user space code to use
various hotplug alerts to load up the required modules without
user intervention. Mike Sullivan's persistent naming patch could
then place the partitions at known device names.

Doug Gilbert

2002-06-13 12:47:13

by Richard B. Johnson

On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Roberto Nibali wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > I know there is support for "firewire" in the kernel. Is there
> > support for "firewire" disks? If so, how do I enable it?
>
> Yes, there is and it is attached to the SCSI layer via the sbp2 driver.
> You need following set of modules to get it working:
>
> scsi_mod, sd_mod, ohci1394, raw1394, ieee1394, sbp2
>
> I know that you will find out which options you need to enable in the
> kernel config ;).
>
> You might want to check out the CVS version of the ieee1394 drivers but
> I don't think it is necessary. It works perfectly back here with a
> Maxtor 160GB. Funny enough I had 158GB with the VFAT on it and 152GB
> with ext2/ext3.
>
> The speed results were also quite interessing:
>
> VFAT writing : 12.8 Mbyte/s
> ext2/ext3 writing: 19.2 Mbyte/s
>
> I simply like that disk and it's a nice extension for a laptop :).
>
> Cheers,
> Roberto Nibali, ratz
> --

The firewire stuff apparently doesn't work too well on linux-2.4.18
I have 3 SCSI disks plus a SCSI CD-R/W. The Adaptec Firewire controller
has a 80 gig disk plus another CD-R/W attached. Both of these run fine
(but slow) in W$.

When I `insmod sbp2.o`, I get a signon message showing two CD-R/W drives,
and no Disk. I can't find any 'devices' to access or mount. I thought,
maybe, that the CD-R/W should show up as the next SCSI CD-R/W, i.e.,
/dev/scd1. If I do `od -x /dev/sdc1` (to see if its readable), the
machine panics. The panic isn't anything that can be copied as it scrolls
for about 10 seconds and end up with:

code : : : : : : : : :

(not too useful). Nothing gets written to the root file-system,
not even the signon-message when I inserted the module.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Windows-2000/Professional isn't.

2002-06-13 15:37:05

by Gerald Britton

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 08:48:53AM -0400, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> The firewire stuff apparently doesn't work too well on linux-2.4.18
> I have 3 SCSI disks plus a SCSI CD-R/W. The Adaptec Firewire controller
> has a 80 gig disk plus another CD-R/W attached. Both of these run fine
> (but slow) in W$.

The version in the kernel always crashed on me. I've been having very good
success with the CVS versions at linux1394.sf.net though. Only problems I've
been having are with leaving the kernel modules loaded (no 1394 hardware left
installed though) during a laptop suspend.. keyboard wasn't working on resume.
The disk and dvd+rw drive i have have worked flawlessly with the sbp2 driver
though. And they do appear as normal scsi devices (they're announced when
the sbp2 driver loads, if you insert something later or remove something, you
have to do the scsi-add-single-device trick to rescan devices).

-- Gerald