2002-06-18 07:28:16

by Patrick Altman

Subject: Getting Started...

I know this is a common FAQ type question, but I haven't really seen one
thus far in my web/usenet reading.

I am an experienced developer, mostly middle-layer/back-end web based
applications. I would like to start getting involved in the lower level
programming in the Linux OS, and hopefully be able to be a contributor
to the OS, even at some basic level, in the role of a developer. I am
not the "evangelist" type, just interested in the technology and in
building technology.

Does anyone have any good suggestions as to a good book, web addresses,
etc. that could help get me started? I have been reading this mail
group for about 3 weeks now and I must admit I am a little overwhelmed
by all the different projects and issues that are "on-going".

Thanks!
Patrick Altman
[email protected]
http://www.pataltman.com

2002-06-18 08:56:03

by Vincent Hanquez

Subject: Re: Getting Started...

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 12:30:05AM -0700, Patrick Altman wrote:
> I know this is a common FAQ type question, but I haven't really seen one
> [snip]
> by all the different projects and issues that are "on-going".

It may help you to find something to do:

http://www.kerneljanitor.org/
http://www.kernelnewbies.org/

(and #kernelnewbies, #kerneljanitor on openprojects's IRC.)

--
Tab