2002-07-03 07:21:07

by srinivasa k

Subject: rtl-8139

Hi,
I'm having rtl8139 ethernet card. I just tried the
option lsmod, it is not showing any module for that
device. I have complied the source and tried to insert
the module, but it is showing the device is busy.
i'm able to use the same device in windows

Can any one help me in solving out this problem ?

Thanx inadvance.

srinivas.

http://sbc.yahoo.com

2002-07-03 08:41:48

by Ulrich Wiederhold

Subject: Re: rtl-8139

Hello,
* srinivasa k <[email protected]> [020703 09:23]:
this is a german speaking mailing list.

> I'm having rtl8139 ethernet card. I just tried the
> option lsmod, it is not showing any module for that
> device.
lsmod only shows already loaded modules.

> I have complied the source and tried to insert
> the module, but it is showing the device is busy.
?
I suppose you compiled a new kernel, set
CONFIG_NET_ETHERNET=y
CONFIG_NET_PCI=y
CONFIG_8139TOO=m #<--- that's the module you need.

Don't forget "update-modules" and "depmod -va" after making the modules.
And modify your /etc/modutils/aliases file:
alias eth0 8139too
^^^^
that's your interface name, should be eth0 for your first NIC.

Then load the module using "modprobe 8139too". Check the loaded modules
using "lsmod":
[...]
8139too 11936 1

And continue configuring your network. Hint:
man ifconfig
man route

> Can any one help me in solving out this problem ?
I hope I could.

Try to join an english-speaking mailing list if you don't speak german,
look for it at http://www.debian.org.

Regards
Uli

--
'The box said, 'Requires Windows 95 or better', so i installed Linux - TKK 5

2002-07-03 08:46:17

by Ulrich Wiederhold

Hello,
sorry, I thaught I was in debian-user-german.

Srinivas, you were right with your english but not with the list. This
list is for developping the linux-kernel, not for user-questions.

Sorry again,
Uli

--
'The box said, 'Requires Windows 95 or better', so i installed Linux - TKK 5