2002-07-03 19:03:13

by Anton Altaparmakov

Subject: EXT3-fs error on kernel 2.4.18-pre3

Hi,

I just noticed that my file server running 2.4.18-pre3 + IDE patches &
NTFS patches has this error message in the logs:

EXT3-fs error (device md(9,4)): ext3_free_blocks: Freeing blocks not in
datazone - block = 33554432, count = 1

This is the only ext3 error I have seen and the uptime is currently over
74 days. The error actually appeared two weeks ago. The timing coincides
well with when this device (/dev/md4, a MD RAID-1 array) ran out of
space, so it may well be related.

All seems to be working again after I freed up some space. Haven't run
fsck as I would hate to down the server with that nice uptime...

Should I be worried?

I am only mentioning this as I suppose it may be a bug somewhere in
ENOSPC handling, so perhaps someone is interested in this report...

--
Best regards,

Anton
--
Anton Altaparmakov <aia21 at cantab.net> (replace at with @)
Linux NTFS maintainer / IRC: #ntfs on irc.openprojects.net

2002-07-03 20:21:01

by Andreas Dilger

Subject: Re: EXT3-fs error on kernel 2.4.18-pre3

On Jul 03, 2002 20:05 +0100, Anton Altaparmakov wrote:
> I just noticed that my file server running 2.4.18-pre3 + IDE patches &
> NTFS patches has this error message in the logs:
>
> EXT3-fs error (device md(9,4)): ext3_free_blocks: Freeing blocks not in
> datazone - block = 33554432, count = 1
>
> This is the only ext3 error I have seen and the uptime is currently over
> 74 days. The error actually appeared two weeks ago. The timing coincides
> well with when this device (/dev/md4, a MD RAID-1 array) ran out of
> space, so it may well be related.

This was fixed in newer kernels.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger

by Rogier Wolff

Anton Altaparmakov wrote:
> EXT3-fs error (device md(9,4)): ext3_free_blocks: Freeing blocks not in
> datazone - block = 33554432, count = 1

I thought I'd try to beat Andries to noting this: That's 0x2000000!
:-)

Rogier.

--
** [email protected] ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2137555 **
* There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots.

2002-07-04 22:04:25

by Stephen C. Tweedie

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 02:21:07PM -0600, Andreas Dilger
<[email protected]> wrote:

> On Jul 03, 2002 20:05 +0100, Anton Altaparmakov wrote:
> > I just noticed that my file server running 2.4.18-pre3 + IDE patches &
> > NTFS patches has this error message in the logs:
> >
> > EXT3-fs error (device md(9,4)): ext3_free_blocks: Freeing blocks not in
> > datazone - block = 33554432, count = 1
> >
> > This is the only ext3 error I have seen and the uptime is currently over
> > 74 days. The error actually appeared two weeks ago. The timing coincides
> > well with when this device (/dev/md4, a MD RAID-1 array) ran out of
> > space, so it may well be related.
>
> This was fixed in newer kernels.

No, the out-of-space behaviour was either an ext3_error if we ran out
of inodes, or a minor i_nrblocks accounting error if we ran out of
disk blocks.

The bad pointer here is 0x2000000, and a bit flip like that is more
often an indicator of bad memory than anything else.

Cheers,
Stephen