2002-06-29 01:52:01

by Nick Evgeniev

Subject: linnux 2.4.19-rc1 i845e ide not detected. dma doesn't work

Hi,

I wrote here about my problems with promise pdc controller in smp
configuration, and I was told that I'm using bad hardware (VIA chipset)
and blah-blah-blah...

Well, I've changed hardware to UP P4 box based on i845e chipset...
Now I've got the following messages on kernel boot, and of cause no DMA
on ide channels (even with hdparm):

Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 6.31
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
ICH4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev f9
PCI: Device 00:1f.1 not available because of resource collisions
ICH4: (ide_setup_pci_device:) Could not enable device.

here is lspci output:

00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 24cb (rev 01) (prog-if 8a
+[Master SecP PriP])
Subsystem: Micro-star International Co Ltd: Unknown device 5661
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
+Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
+<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
Latency: 0
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 18
Region 0: I/O ports at <unassigned> [size=8]
Region 1: I/O ports at <unassigned> [size=4]
Region 2: I/O ports at <unassigned> [size=8]
Region 3: I/O ports at <unassigned> [size=4]
Region 4: I/O ports at fc00 [size=16]
Region 5: Memory at 20000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]

What should I do with my hardware? Through it away? round and around?!

2002-06-29 02:07:03

by Alan

Complain to your BIOS vendor

A workaround for this BIOS flaw will be in the -ac tree in a week or so

2002-07-01 11:54:21

by Nick Evgeniev

Hi,

Why are you so assure? It's "msi 845e Max" with LAN on-board mb with
_latest_ BIOS installed....
Just FYI 2.4.18 was even unable to run eepro100 driver on it while intels
e100 driver was working perfectly.

> A workaround for this BIOS flaw will be in the -ac tree in a week or so

2002-07-03 15:26:03

by Dave Jones

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 03:49:43PM +0400, Nick Evgeniev wrote:

> Why are you so assure? It's "msi 845e Max" with LAN on-board mb with
> _latest_ BIOS installed....
> Just FYI 2.4.18 was even unable to run eepro100 driver on it while intels
> e100 driver was working perfectly.

Could this be related to the pci id clash I pointed out last week?
That id was for an intel IDE device iirc.

(Recap: Two id's don't tally between 2.4/2.5)

Dave

--
| Dave Jones. http://www.codemonkey.org.uk
| SuSE Labs

2002-07-03 19:16:33

by Andre Hedrick

No it has everything to do with determining if the HBA is in compatablity
or native mode and if the device is properly enabled.

On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, Dave Jones wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 03:49:43PM +0400, Nick Evgeniev wrote:
>
> > Why are you so assure? It's "msi 845e Max" with LAN on-board mb with
> > _latest_ BIOS installed....
> > Just FYI 2.4.18 was even unable to run eepro100 driver on it while intels
> > e100 driver was working perfectly.
>
> Could this be related to the pci id clash I pointed out last week?
> That id was for an intel IDE device iirc.
>
> (Recap: Two id's don't tally between 2.4/2.5)
>
> Dave
>
> --
> | Dave Jones. http://www.codemonkey.org.uk
> | SuSE Labs
> -

Andre Hedrick
LAD Storage Consulting Group

2002-07-04 13:12:08

by Nick Evgeniev

Well, anyway, 2.4.19-pre10-ac2 works for me :)

> No it has everything to do with determining if the HBA is in compatablity
> or native mode and if the device is properly enabled.
>
> On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, Dave Jones wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 03:49:43PM +0400, Nick Evgeniev wrote:
> >
> > > Why are you so assure? It's "msi 845e Max" with LAN on-board mb
with
> > > _latest_ BIOS installed....
> > > Just FYI 2.4.18 was even unable to run eepro100 driver on it while
intels
> > > e100 driver was working perfectly.
> >
> > Could this be related to the pci id clash I pointed out last week?
> > That id was for an intel IDE device iirc.
> >
> > (Recap: Two id's don't tally between 2.4/2.5)
> >
> > Dave
> >
> > --
> > | Dave Jones. http://www.codemonkey.org.uk
> > | SuSE Labs
> > -
in
> > the body of a message to [email protected]
> >

> Andre Hedrick
> LAD Storage Consulting Group
>
> -

by Andre Hedrick

Does it work in 2.5 ?

On Thu, 4 Jul 2002, Nick Evgeniev wrote:

> Well, anyway, 2.4.19-pre10-ac2 works for me :)
>
> > No it has everything to do with determining if the HBA is in compatablity
> > or native mode and if the device is properly enabled.

> with
> intels
> > >
> > > Could this be related to the pci id clash I pointed out last week?
> > > That id was for an intel IDE device iirc.
> > >
> > > (Recap: Two id's don't tally between 2.4/2.5)
> > >
> > > Dave
> > >
> > > --
> > > -
> in
> > > the body of a message to [email protected]
> > > More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
> > > Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/
> > >

> > Andre Hedrick
> > LAD Storage Consulting Group
> >
> > -
> > the body of a message to [email protected]

Andre Hedrick
LAD Storage Consulting Group

2002-07-06 02:31:22

by Anthony Spinillo

Andre,

I just fired up 2.5.25. DMA was enabled upon boot on
my DVD drive and burner. (no IDE hard drive - SCSI)

2.4.19pre10ac2 works for me also.

I also turned in a Bugzilla for Limbo the new RedHat
beta.

Intel 845GBVL motherboard - 845G chipset.

Thanks!

Tony

>Does it work in 2.5 ?

On Thu, 4 Jul 2002, Nick Evgeniev wrote:

>> Well, anyway, 2.4.19-pre10-ac2 works for me :)

Powered by Outblaze

2002-07-06 12:39:52

by Nick Evgeniev

I don't know. Actually, I'm trying to setup "production" environment :)) &
i845e (or i845pe) is the only one solution (I don't want to try via+promise
anymore)