2002-07-13 20:59:55

by Steve Kieu

Subject: Status of DRI modules for i810 with > 2.4.19-pre6

Hi,

This problem I posted rather long time ago

Last time I tried 2.4.19-rc1-aa2 and the OOP still
persists when exiting XFree86 (enable DRI with chipset
i810)

Is there anybody who is working on this issue?

Regards,

=====
Steve Kieu

http://www.sold.com.au - SOLD.com.au
- Find yourself a bargain!

2002-07-14 00:33:52

by Alan

Subject: Re: Status of DRI modules for i810 with > 2.4.19-pre6

On Sat, 2002-07-13 at 22:02, Steve Kieu wrote:
> Last time I tried 2.4.19-rc1-aa2 and the OOP still
> persists when exiting XFree86 (enable DRI with chipset
> i810)
>
> Is there anybody who is working on this issue?

It should be fixed in the combination of stuff in 2.4.19rc1-ac3. Arjan
van de Ven has fixed several problems with the i810 DRI

2002-07-14 22:06:33

by Steve Kieu

No, it is not fixed yet! I attched the dmesg.log but
if required I will make the result through ksymoop.

Regards,

=====
Steve Kieu

http://www.sold.com.au - SOLD.com.au
- Find yourself a bargain!

Attachments:
(No filename) (200.00 B)
dmesg.log (4.78 kB)
dmesg.log

by Alan

On Sun, 2002-07-14 at 23:09, Steve Kieu wrote:

> No, it is not fixed yet! I attched the dmesg.log but
> if required I will make the result through ksymoop.

Duplicate the problem with a 2.4.19-rc1-ac3 kernel (not one with random
pre-empt patches). Then get a traceback. Also be sure to use XFree86 4.2
or later

2002-07-15 06:54:19

by Steve Kieu

> > No, it is not fixed yet! I attched the dmesg.log
> but
> > if required I will make the result through
> ksymoop.
>
> Duplicate the problem with a 2.4.19-rc1-ac3 kernel
> (not one with random
> pre-empt patches). Then get a traceback. Also be
> sure to use XFree86 4.2
> or later

I am forced to upgrade to XFree86-4.2.0 :-) but
happily to say the problem is gone with and without
preemptible patch.

So it is rather a bug in XFree86 < 4.2.0 ?

Thanks

=====
Steve Kieu

http://www.sold.com.au - SOLD.com.au
- Find yourself a bargain!

2002-07-15 11:08:17

by Steve Kieu

> Duplicate the problem with a 2.4.19-rc1-ac3 kernel
> (not one with random
> pre-empt patches). Then get a traceback. Also be
> sure to use XFree86 4.2
> or later

The OOPS nolonger happened BUT it is useless as
XFree86-4.2.0 has problem with dri for i810; in the
XFree86 log file it says Direct rendering is enabled.
But run glxinfo shows that no other software can use
it!. I have searched and found a lot users have the
same thing. although I am quite sure that I installed
it properly (rm all old libGl etc...)

new dri modules; the oop also disappear. (That oops I
reported last time is with the old dri modules); I
thought wow it should be fine, but still no luck. run
glxinfo is fine; but run real application like
bzflags; bzflags can not run, it hang forever. No
OOPS, nothing, everything seems to be normal. Have to
killall -9 bzflag (15 doesn't stop it). Not sure what
caused this; Go back to use kernel 2.4.18-ck4
everything is in order :-)

Regards,

=====
Steve Kieu

http://www.sold.com.au - SOLD.com.au
- Find yourself a bargain!

2002-07-15 12:16:12

by Alan

On Mon, 2002-07-15 at 07:57, Steve Kieu wrote:
> I am forced to upgrade to XFree86-4.2.0 :-) but
> happily to say the problem is gone with and without
> preemptible patch.
>
> So it is rather a bug in XFree86 < 4.2.0 ?

There are DRI problems with i810 older XFree86, with the kernel AGP code
and with the kernel DRI code. All three of which have at some point been
tackled. My i810 is looking pretty solid at the moment but I've got some
3D funnies to look into