2002-07-22 14:43:10

by Stelian Pop

Subject: 2.5.27 IDE: problems, again.

Hi,

I'm running the latest (BK head) 2.5 kernel (up to, and including
IDE-clean 100), on my VAIO C1VE laptop:
00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)

With PIIX chipset support & autodma, the kernel halts right after the
boot, while searching init on the disk. Must happen somewhere with
interrupts disabled (no sysrq, no kbd leds etc).

Disabling PIIX chipset support & dma makes the kernel survive for
some longer time (between 10 seconds and 2-3 minutes), but it will
eventually halt, this time CORRUPTING THE DATA!

Right now I'm trying to recover my disk partition...

Stelian, more and more enclined to switch to the IDE 2.4 back^H^H^H^Hforward
port.
--
Stelian Pop <[email protected]>
Alcove - http://www.alcove.com

2002-07-23 01:21:05

by Brad Hards

Subject: Re: 2.5.27 IDE: problems, again.

On Tue, 23 Jul 2002 00:45, Stelian Pop wrote:
> Disabling PIIX chipset support & dma makes the kernel survive for
> some longer time (between 10 seconds and 2-3 minutes), but it will
> eventually halt, this time CORRUPTING THE DATA!
See Bart's comments in separate post.

> Right now I'm trying to recover my disk partition...

You are *out of your fscking mind*.

Why are you running 2.5 on a machine that has anything worth
recovering on it? IDE or SCSI, no matter.

Standard 2.5 equipment includes a CD drive with the install disk(s)
for $DISTRO ready to drop into the drive as soon as anything looks
bad. Advanced 2.5 requires a duplicate hard disk on a removable drive
caddy :)

Brad

--
http://conf.linux.org.au. 22-25Jan2003. Perth, Australia. Birds in Black.

On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Brad Hards wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Jul 2002 00:45, Stelian Pop wrote:
> > Disabling PIIX chipset support & dma makes the kernel survive for
> > some longer time (between 10 seconds and 2-3 minutes), but it will
> > eventually halt, this time CORRUPTING THE DATA!
> See Bart's comments in separate post.
>
> > Right now I'm trying to recover my disk partition...
>
> You are *out of your fscking mind*.

Yup, learn hints by heart ;-).

> Why are you running 2.5 on a machine that has anything worth
> recovering on it? IDE or SCSI, no matter.
>
> Standard 2.5 equipment includes a CD drive with the install disk(s)
> for $DISTRO ready to drop into the drive as soon as anything looks
> bad. Advanced 2.5 requires a duplicate hard disk on a removable drive
> caddy :)

I somehow managed to go through 2.5 without any recovering
(even doing ATA and block layer development), call me lucky ;-).

Few hints on running 2.5 on production machine:
- don't run every new kernel revision, wait for some time and read lkml
(if there are any problems noticed)
- even better wait for next revision and read changelog,
decide if you can apply now previous revision
- don't run default IDE, get 2.4 IDE patch
- be careful, double thinking mode on :-)

Bartlomiej

> Brad
>
> --
> http://conf.linux.org.au. 22-25Jan2003. Perth, Australia. Birds in Black.

2002-07-23 01:41:38

by Thunder from the hill

Hi,

On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Brad Hards wrote:
> Standard 2.5 equipment includes a CD drive with the install disk(s)
> for $DISTRO ready to drop into the drive as soon as anything looks
> bad. Advanced 2.5 requires a duplicate hard disk on a removable drive
> caddy :)

I use the latter, and dd to recover...

Regards,
Thunder
--
(Use http://www.ebb.org/ungeek if you can't decode)

2002-07-23 09:56:49

by Stelian Pop

On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 11:19:59AM +1000, Brad Hards wrote:

> > Right now I'm trying to recover my disk partition...
>
> You are *out of your fscking mind*.

I do have some taste for the risk yes. However, until now I haven't
had any problems with 2.5 kernels.

> Why are you running 2.5 on a machine that has anything worth
> recovering on it? IDE or SCSI, no matter.

This is my laptop and I occasionnally use it to do kernel related
development. However, since I use this laptop for disconnected
work too (like reading mail etc).

I do have backups however, so the risk is rather limited.

Stelian.
--
Stelian Pop <[email protected]>
Alcove - http://www.alcove.com

2002-07-23 12:36:34

by Alexander Hoogerhuis

Stelian Pop <[email protected]> writes:

> On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 11:19:59AM +1000, Brad Hards wrote:
>
> > > Right now I'm trying to recover my disk partition...
> >
> > You are *out of your fscking mind*.
>
> I do have some taste for the risk yes. However, until now I haven't
> had any problems with 2.5 kernels.
>
> > Why are you running 2.5 on a machine that has anything worth
> > recovering on it? IDE or SCSI, no matter.
>
> This is my laptop and I occasionnally use it to do kernel related
> development. However, since I use this laptop for disconnected
> work too (like reading mail etc).
>
> I do have backups however, so the risk is rather limited.

Just to add my two ?re to this; I've ran 2.5.27-dj2 since it came out,
both with ide as modules and compiled in with no ill effects. For the
record here's the ide bits from the boot log:

ATA/ATAPI device driver v7.0.0
ATA: PCI bus speed 33.3MHz
keyboard: Timeout - AT keyboard not present?(ed)
ATA: Intel Corp. 82801CAM IDE U100, PCI slot 00:1f.1
PCI: Enabling device 00:1f.1 (0005 -> 0007)
PCI: Assigned IRQ 11 for device 00:1f.1
ATA: chipset rev.: 2
ATA: non-legacy mode: IRQ probe delayed
PIIX: Intel Corp. 82801CAM IDE U100 UDMA100 controller on pci00:1f.1
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 00:1f.1 to 64
ide0: BM-DMA at 0x4440-0x4447, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 00:1f.1 to 64
ide1: BM-DMA at 0x4448-0x444f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio
hda: TOSHIBA MK4019GAX, DISK drive
hdc: SD-R2102, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
hda: 78140160 sectors, CHS=77520/16/63, UDMA(100)
hda: [PTBL] [5168/240/63] hda1 hda2 hda3

mvh,

Alexander Hoogerhuis | [email protected]
CCNP - CCDP - MCNE - CCSE | +47 908 21 485
"You have zero privacy anyway. Get over it." --Scott McNealy