2002-07-30 14:19:32

by Axel H. Siebenwirth

Subject: LKCD/kmsgdump for 2.5?

Hi,

I'm tired of handcopying my oopses. I read of something like LKCD and
kmsgdump but then I saw that these are only available for 2.4. But wouldn't
something like that be more useful for a development kernel as 2.5?
Unfortunately I don't have a second computer for a serial line.

Is there maybe still some way to avoid copying the oopses by hand for 2.5
kernels?

Best regards and many thanks,
Axel Siebenwirth

2002-07-30 15:32:24

by Willy Tarreau

Subject: Re: LKCD/kmsgdump for 2.5?

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 04:23:05PM +0200, Axel Siebenwirth wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm tired of handcopying my oopses. I read of something like LKCD and
> kmsgdump but then I saw that these are only available for 2.4. But wouldn't
> something like that be more useful for a development kernel as 2.5?

of course, you're right. In my case, it's simply because I never
compiled a 2.5 kernel yet. I may port kmsgdump to 2.5 if it doesn't
take too much time.

Cheers,
Willy

2002-07-30 17:15:37

by Axel H. Siebenwirth

Hi!

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, Willy Tarreau wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 04:23:05PM +0200, Axel Siebenwirth wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm tired of handcopying my oopses. I read of something like LKCD and
> > kmsgdump but then I saw that these are only available for 2.4. But wouldn't
> > something like that be more useful for a development kernel as 2.5?
>
> of course, you're right. In my case, it's simply because I never
> compiled a 2.5 kernel yet. I may port kmsgdump to 2.5 if it doesn't
> take too much time.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to have something like that in development kernels
officially? That way more people could easily help debug the whole thing. Or
maybe just an officially maintained patch to current development kernels.

Regards,
Axel