2002-08-01 04:37:14

by Enugala Venkata Ramana

Subject: installation of latest kernel on compaq notebook

Hi ,
This is what is existing configuration
have compaq presario 1200 12XL506 model notebook
installed Redhat Linux 7.1
Everything is fine except the usb to ethernet (SmartNic2
1500
) does not work although it is shown in the /proc/usb/devices

This is what i tried
downloaded latest kernel 2.5.29
Installed kernel on linux laptop
I am not very sure of what needs to be configured in the
kernel
config
When i tried "make xconfig" there is some error and x windows
does not start
i did manual configuration and able to compile the new kernel
and boot on to it
After boot on new kernel
Now even the usb mouse is not recognized, Xwindows which is
working previously with kernel 2.4.x does not work.

Now what i want to know is
What i need to select in kernel configurations so that it
supports my model with all basic features?
Why there is always an error in prevois versions of my kernel
as well ('Error in line 5 in /etc/sysconfig/mouse') I comment
line
fine everything is fine?

Please do reply in case anybody know any details on this.

thanks
Regards
Venku.

2002-08-01 17:02:18

by Greg KH

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 04:40:26AM -0000, Enugala Venkata Ramana wrote:
> Hi ,
> This is what is existing configuration
> have compaq presario 1200 12XL506 model notebook
> installed Redhat Linux 7.1
> Everything is fine except the usb to ethernet (SmartNic2
> 1500
> ) does not work although it is shown in the /proc/usb/devices

Please provide the USB specific information that is asked for in the
Linux USB FAQ at http://www.linux-usb.org/ That would help us out a lot
:)

thanks,

greg k-h

2002-08-02 14:09:01

by Enugala Venkata Ramana

Hi Greg,
Thanks for response.
here i am attaching the usb_devices listing.
Regards
Venku.

On Thu, 01 Aug 2002 Greg KH wrote :
>On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 04:40:26AM -0000, Enugala Venkata Ramana
>wrote:
> > Hi ,
> > This is what is existing configuration
> > have compaq presario 1200 12XL506 model notebook
> > installed Redhat Linux 7.1
> > Everything is fine except the usb to ethernet (SmartNic2
> > 1500
> > ) does not work although it is shown in the
>/proc/usb/devices
>
>Please provide the USB specific information that is asked for in
>the
>Linux USB FAQ at http://www.linux-usb.org/ That would help us
>out a lot
>:)
>
>thanks,
>
>greg k-h
>-
>To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe
>linux-kernel" in
>the body of a message to [email protected]
>More majordomo info at
>http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Give your Company an email address like
ravi @ ravi-exports.com. Sign up for Rediffmail Pro today!
Know more. http://www.rediffmailpro.com/signup/

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.04 kB)
usb_devices.txt (1.64 kB)

by Enugala Venkata Ramana

Hi Greg,
Please also find the lspci -v output as well.
Regards
Venku.

On Thu, 01 Aug 2002 Greg KH wrote :
>On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 04:40:26AM -0000, Enugala Venkata Ramana
>wrote:
> > Hi ,
> > This is what is existing configuration
> > have compaq presario 1200 12XL506 model notebook
> > installed Redhat Linux 7.1
> > Everything is fine except the usb to ethernet (SmartNic2
> > 1500
> > ) does not work although it is shown in the
>/proc/usb/devices
>
>Please provide the USB specific information that is asked for in
>the
>Linux USB FAQ at http://www.linux-usb.org/ That would help us
>out a lot
>:)
>
>thanks,
>
>greg k-h
Give your Company an email address like
ravi @ ravi-exports.com. Sign up for Rediffmail Pro today!
Know more. http://www.rediffmailpro.com/signup/

Attachments:
(No filename) (794.00 B)
lspci_out.txt (2.91 kB)

by Greg KH

On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 02:12:13PM -0000, Enugala Venkata Ramana wrote:

> Hi Greg,
> Thanks for response.
> here i am attaching the usb_devices listing.

That device should work just fine with the catc.c driver. Have you
build that one in your kernel configuration?

thanks,

greg k-h

2002-08-02 18:34:49

by Enugala Venkata Ramana

Hi Greg,
Can you please help me to find information on the installation of
the driver and where can i find the driver. I tried some of the
drivers on the net but when i trid to make the progra, i get a lot
of errors.
Regards
Venku.

On Fri, 02 Aug 2002 Greg KH wrote :
>On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 02:12:13PM -0000, Enugala Venkata Ramana
>wrote:
> >
> > Hi Greg,
> > Thanks for response.
> > here i am attaching the usb_devices listing.
>
>That device should work just fine with the catc.c driver. Have
>you
>build that one in your kernel configuration?
>
>thanks,
>
>greg k-h
>-
>To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe
>linux-kernel" in
>the body of a message to [email protected]
>More majordomo info at
>http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

Give your Company an email address like
ravi @ ravi-exports.com. Sign up for Rediffmail Pro today!
Know more. http://www.rediffmailpro.com/signup/

2002-08-02 18:44:57

by Greg KH

On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 06:38:03PM -0000, Enugala Venkata Ramana wrote:
> Hi Greg,
> Can you please help me to find information on the installation of
> the driver and where can i find the driver. I tried some of the
> drivers on the net but when i trid to make the progra, i get a lot
> of errors.

It's part of the main kernel tree. Please read the Linux USB Guide at
http://www.linux-usb.org/ for how to set up USB drivers and your system
on Linux.

I also suggest if you have any followup questions after reading the
guide, to read the FAQ and provide all of the information needed there
to the linux-usb-users mailing list.

Good luck,

greg k-h

2002-08-03 04:10:02

by Enugala Venkata Ramana

Hi Greg,
I tried to configure my kernel. But when ever i try with kerel
2.4.xx i always find the catc driver for the usb is not enabled. I
cannot add that into my kernel at all.can u please let me know
what needs to be done in this is situation and what is the kernal
version from which it is been enabled.
Regards
Venku.

On Sat, 03 Aug 2002 Greg KH wrote :
>On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 06:38:03PM -0000, Enugala Venkata Ramana
>wrote:
> > Hi Greg,
> > Can you please help me to find information on the installation
>of
> > the driver and where can i find the driver. I tried some of
>the
> > drivers on the net but when i trid to make the progra, i get a
>lot
> > of errors.
>
>It's part of the main kernel tree. Please read the Linux USB
>Guide at
>http://www.linux-usb.org/ for how to set up USB drivers and your
>system
>on Linux.
>
>I also suggest if you have any followup questions after reading
>the
>guide, to read the FAQ and provide all of the information needed
>there
>to the linux-usb-users mailing list.
>
>Good luck,
>
>greg k-h
>-
>To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe
>linux-kernel" in
>the body of a message to [email protected]
>More majordomo info at
>http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

Give your Company an email address like
ravi @ ravi-exports.com. Sign up for Rediffmail Pro today!
Know more. http://www.rediffmailpro.com/signup/

2002-08-03 05:01:23

by Brad Hards

On Sat, 3 Aug 2002 14:12, Enugala Venkata Ramana wrote:
> Hi Greg,
> I tried to configure my kernel. But when ever i try with kerel
> 2.4.xx i always find the catc driver for the usb is not enabled. I
> cannot add that into my kernel at all.can u please let me know
> what needs to be done in this is situation and what is the kernal
> version from which it is been enabled.
The use of "enabled" is confusing me. You aren't describing
the problem very well.

Do you mean that you cannot select in when you are doing
a "make menuconfig" or "make xconfig"?

Or do you mean that you have selected it, but it isn't being
compiled?

Or do you mean that you have it compiled, but the kernel
won't boot (or you can't modprobe the module)?

Or do you mean that it boots and the kernel shows
the catc driver (in /proc/bus/usb/drivers) but the
device isn't being claimed (as shown in /proc/bus/usb/devices).

Exactly what are you trying to do, and what is happening?

Brad

--
http://conf.linux.org.au. 22-25Jan2003. Perth, Australia. Birds in Black.

2002-08-03 05:06:57

by Enugala Venkata Ramana

Hi ,
Using the make xconfig. i cannot even select it.
Regards
Venku.
On Sat, 03 Aug 2002 Brad Hards wrote :
>On Sat, 3 Aug 2002 14:12, Enugala Venkata Ramana wrote:
> > Hi Greg,
> > I tried to configure my kernel. But when ever i try with
>kerel
> > 2.4.xx i always find the catc driver for the usb is not
>enabled. I
> > cannot add that into my kernel at all.can u please let me
>know
> > what needs to be done in this is situation and what is the
>kernal
> > version from which it is been enabled.
>The use of "enabled" is confusing me. You aren't describing
>the problem very well.
>
>Do you mean that you cannot select in when you are doing
>a "make menuconfig" or "make xconfig"?
>
>Or do you mean that you have selected it, but it isn't being
>compiled?
>
>Or do you mean that you have it compiled, but the kernel
>won't boot (or you can't modprobe the module)?
>
>Or do you mean that it boots and the kernel shows
>the catc driver (in /proc/bus/usb/drivers) but the
>device isn't being claimed (as shown in /proc/bus/usb/devices).
>
>Exactly what are you trying to do, and what is happening?
>
>Brad
>
>--
>http://conf.linux.org.au. 22-25Jan2003. Perth, Australia. Birds
>in Black.

Give your Company an email address like
ravi @ ravi-exports.com. Sign up for Rediffmail Pro today!
Know more. http://www.rediffmailpro.com/signup/

2002-08-03 05:11:19

by Brad Hards

On Sat, 3 Aug 2002 15:09, Enugala Venkata Ramana wrote:
> Hi ,
> Using the make xconfig. i cannot even select it.
I assume that you can select other options, but not
this particular option (Hint: you could have told me that).

I take it that you didn't look at the options that this
option depends on, and you need to turn on the
configuration options for CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL
and possibly CONFIG_NET

Brad
--
http://conf.linux.org.au. 22-25Jan2003. Perth, Australia. Birds in Black.