2002-08-08 20:58:55

by Brad Chapman

Subject: What patches I need for s stable 2.5.x

Everyone,

I have been following some of the threads on linux-kernel and have read
about the IDE problems. I know about Jens' 2.4.x IDE foreport, and I was
wondering: what other patches should I apply, besides the 2.4.x IDE foreport,
to ensure a stable 2.5.x kernel?

Thanks,

Brad Chapman

=====
Brad Chapman

Permanent e-mails: [email protected]

HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
http://www.hotjobs.com

2002-08-08 21:10:33

by Alan

Subject: Re: What patches I need for s stable 2.5.x

On Thu, 2002-08-08 at 22:02, Brad Chapman wrote:
> Everyone,
>
> I have been following some of the threads on linux-kernel and have read
> about the IDE problems. I know about Jens' 2.4.x IDE foreport, and I was
> wondering: what other patches should I apply, besides the 2.4.x IDE foreport,
> to ensure a stable 2.5.x kernel?

The IDE stuff might get you a usable 2.5, even then the error handling
is not correct in all cases so treat it with care. On my test boxes the
foreport didnt hang the machine the way 2.5.* did so its an improvement.
You might just want to follow the 2.5.*-dj tree though

2002-08-08 23:35:50

by Brad Chapman

Mr. Cox,

--- Alan Cox <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-08-08 at 22:02, Brad Chapman wrote:
> > Everyone,
> >
> > I have been following some of the threads on linux-kernel and have
> read
> > about the IDE problems. I know about Jens' 2.4.x IDE foreport, and I was
> > wondering: what other patches should I apply, besides the 2.4.x IDE
> foreport,
> > to ensure a stable 2.5.x kernel?
>
> The IDE stuff might get you a usable 2.5, even then the error handling
> is not correct in all cases so treat it with care. On my test boxes the
> foreport didnt hang the machine the way 2.5.* did so its an improvement.
> You might just want to follow the 2.5.*-dj tree though

ACK. Are there any gotchas associated with the 2.5.x-dj tree? I
haven't really studied it up to this point.

Brad

=====
Brad Chapman

Permanent e-mails: [email protected]

HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
http://www.hotjobs.com

2002-08-14 06:45:17

by Dave Jones

On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 04:39:26PM -0700, Brad Chapman wrote:
> ACK. Are there any gotchas associated with the 2.5.x-dj tree? I
> haven't really studied it up to this point.

The biggest gotcha right now is that it's lagging behind mainline.
(Current is 2.5.30-dj1, which doesn't actually boot..
Last working one was against 2.5.27)

Hopefully I'll be back on track by the end of the week.

Dave