2002-08-12 21:38:08

by Ian molton

Subject: Ipaq 39xx

Hi.

I could be getting one of these as of tomorrow. (39xx ipaq)

I need to know - will Linux be able to run on them, if not now, then in
the near future?

I would prefer the Xscale models to the SA ones, but I want Linux on it
sometime.

Thanks.

2002-08-12 22:27:27

by Hans-Christian Armingeon

Subject: Re: Ipaq 39xx

Am Montag, 12. August 2002 23:53 schrieb Ian Molton:
> Hi.
>
> I could be getting one of these as of tomorrow. (39xx ipaq)
>
> I need to know - will Linux be able to run on them, if not now, then in
> the near future?
>
> I would prefer the Xscale models to the SA ones, but I want Linux on it
Well, I heard that the xscale are slower than the old SA.

My recommendation is a SL 5500 ;-) . The Sucessor of it has also an Xscale processor, so I think that there will be only little [docs from manufacturers ;-)] problems to run Linux on every Xscale PDA.

But stay away from Xscale, it is like the P4: optimized for MHz, not for instructions per clock.

> sometime.
>
> Thanks.

Johnny

2002-08-12 22:37:59

by Frank Fiene

On Montag, 12. August 2002 23:53, Ian Molton wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I could be getting one of these as of tomorrow. (39xx ipaq)
>
> I need to know - will Linux be able to run on them, if not now, then
> in the near future?

http://www.handhelds.org/projects/h3900.html

ff
--
SYNTAGS GmbH, M?rkische Str. 237, D-44141 Dortmund, Germany
Security, Cryptography, Networks, Software Development

2002-08-12 22:46:05

by Alan

On Mon, 2002-08-12 at 23:30, Hans-Christian Armingeon wrote:
> But stay away from Xscale, it is like the P4: optimized for MHz, not for instructions per clock.

Which eventually does pay off (at 2.4GHz the PIV is finally beating
AMD). The problem with the Xscale right now is some of the errata
cripple the performance when running with an MMU enabled. Until they are
resolved the xscale isnt going to fly.

2002-08-12 23:14:54

by Ian molton

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002 00:30:33 +0200
Hans-Christian Armingeon <[email protected]> wrote:

> But stay away from Xscale, it is like the P4: optimized for MHz, not
> for instructions per clock.

The XScale also uses a lot less power, though...