2002-08-15 20:43:36

by Andreas Tscharner

Subject: Kernel Bug in 2.4.19

Hello World,

After compiling 2.4.19 (Debian kernel-source-2.4.19-1), I've had several
kernel bugs. I've added the messages of two that I got in the log. The
others are similar.
I re-changed to 2.4.18 (Debian kernel-source-2.4.18-5) and everything
works fine.

System: See attached dmesg
Debian unstable

Regards
Andreas
--
Andreas Tscharner [email protected]
build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying

Attachments:
Bug1.txt (1.39 kB)
Bug2.txt (1.47 kB)
dmesg.txt (8.05 kB)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Jean Delvare

Subject: Re: Kernel Bug in 2.4.19

Hello

> After compiling 2.4.19 (Debian kernel-source-2.4.19-1), I've had
> several kernel bugs. I've added the messages of two that I got in the
> log. The others are similar. I re-changed to 2.4.18 (Debian
> kernel-source-2.4.18-5) and everything works fine.

Are you able to reproduce the problem without loading the NVidia
drivers? If no, you know who to complain to.

Second question, are the Zip100-drive-related errors in dmesg something
unusual and thus probably related to the problem?

> I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
> unable to read partition table

If yes, I'd suggest you disable ppa for a while and see if it solves the
problem.

--
Jean Delvare

2002-08-16 08:10:49

by Felipe W Damasio

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002 22:47:59 +0200
Andreas Tscharner <[email protected]> wrote:

AT> After compiling 2.4.19 (Debian kernel-source-2.4.19-1), I've had
AT> several kernel bugs. I've added the messages of two that I got in the
AT> log. The others are similar.
AT> I re-changed to 2.4.18 (Debian kernel-source-2.4.18-5) and everything
AT> works fine.
AT>
AT> System: See attached dmesg
AT> Debian unstable

Could you run the oops through ksymoops and send the report?

Thanks,

Felipe

2002-08-16 13:18:43

by Andreas Tscharner

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002 09:38:47 +0200
Jean Delvare <[email protected]> wrote:

> > After compiling 2.4.19 (Debian kernel-source-2.4.19-1), I've had
> > several kernel bugs. I've added the messages of two that I got in
> > the log. The others are similar. I re-changed to 2.4.18 (Debian
> > kernel-source-2.4.18-5) and everything works fine.
>
> Are you able to reproduce the problem without loading the NVidia
> drivers? If no, you know who to complain to.

Hmm.
I don't know; gonna test it...

> Second question, are the Zip100-drive-related errors in dmesg
> something unusual and thus probably related to the problem?
>
> > I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
> > unable to read partition table

No, they are "normal". The ppa driver complains about not having a disk
in my ZIP drive

Regards
Andreas
--
Andreas Tscharner [email protected]
build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying
to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
-- Rich Cook

2002-08-16 17:13:40

by Jean Delvare

> > Second question, are the Zip100-drive-related errors in dmesg
> > something unusual and thus probably related to the problem?
> >
> > > I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
> > > unable to read partition table
>
> No, they are "normal". The ppa driver complains about not having a
> disk in my ZIP drive

Never had such messages with mine, and I wouldn't like them. I wonder
which software/settings lead to this. "Normal" errors should be
prevented in a clean manner, IMHO.

--
Jean "Khali" Delvare
http://www.ensicaen.ismra.fr/~delvare/