2002-09-16 00:25:52

by Nicholas

Subject: To Anyone with a Radeon 7500 board and the ali developer

Dear Readers:
I would like to ask that anyone with this setup to please test this out
i think there is a kernel bug (if not Sorry for the email) when i run
glxgears (or any opengl) with my pc it locks hard when direct rendering
is enabled. I have tried both GATOS drivers (http://gatos.sf.net) and
the defualt drivers that come with X both we the same results. I think
there is a bug within either the Ali driver or the ATI Radeon 7500 drm
module (i have a few people say they have crashes not all the time but
sometimes) (i have tried this with out ali enabled with just agpgart and
it didn't do DRM) my system is an Asus mother board with ali agp and 256
megs of ram running Debian Sid with Xfree86 4.2
Sincerly,
Nicholas

2002-09-16 04:21:33

by Alex Davis

Just out of curiosity, do you have AGPMode set to any value other than "1"
in your XF86Config file? If so, try setting it to "1".

-Alex

> Dear Readers:
>I would like to ask that anyone with this setup to please test this out
>i think there is a kernel bug (if not Sorry for the email) when i run
>glxgears (or any opengl) with my pc it locks hard when direct rendering
>is enabled.

http://finance.yahoo.com

2002-09-16 04:56:07

by David Miller

From: Nicholas <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 20:30:38 -0400

when i run glxgears (or any opengl) with my pc it locks hard when
direct rendering is enabled.

Make sure the AGP mode being used by XFree86 matches the one
set by your BIOS.

2002-09-16 05:05:18

by David Miller

From: Alex Davis <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 21:26:25 -0700 (PDT)

Just out of curiosity, do you have AGPMode set to any value other than "1"
in your XF86Config file? If so, try setting it to "1".

More importantly, set it to whatever value you have configured in
your BIOS setup. There are lots of chipsets for which the AGP
mode change is not implemented fully/correctly in the AGP kernel
drivers.

2002-09-16 12:35:14

by Alan

On Mon, 2002-09-16 at 06:01, David S. Miller wrote:
> From: Alex Davis <[email protected]>
> Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 21:26:25 -0700 (PDT)
>
> Just out of curiosity, do you have AGPMode set to any value other than "1"
> in your XF86Config file? If so, try setting it to "1".
>
> More importantly, set it to whatever value you have configured in
> your BIOS setup. There are lots of chipsets for which the AGP
> mode change is not implemented fully/correctly in the AGP kernel
> drivers.

What is sad is the is an AGP standardised way to read this and XFree86
still, all these years on, doesn't do it by default.

2002-09-16 19:18:24

by David Miller

From: Alan Cox <[email protected]>
Date: 16 Sep 2002 13:42:11 +0100

What is sad is the is an AGP standardised way to read this and XFree86
still, all these years on, doesn't do it by default.

Totally agreed.

I have even suggested on the xfree86 developer list at least 2 times
that they do this to choose the default, but they claim it isn't the
right thing to do.

So people's boxes will keep hanging and xfree86 DRM will continue to
be a support nightmare.

2002-09-17 01:28:17

by Daniel Pittman

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, David S. Miller wrote:
> From: Alan Cox <[email protected]>
> Date: 16 Sep 2002 13:42:11 +0100
>
> What is sad is the is an AGP standardised way to read this and
> XFree86 still, all these years on, doesn't do it by default.
>
> Totally agreed.
>
> I have even suggested on the xfree86 developer list at least 2 times
> that they do this to choose the default, but they claim it isn't the
> right thing to do.
>
> So people's boxes will keep hanging and xfree86 DRM will continue to
> be a support nightmare.

...which might explain why my machine has occasional DRM related hangs,
since there is no way for me to match the XFree86 AGP speed and the BIOS
set AGP speed -- my BIOS will not tell me what it set, nor does it have
a toggle to adjust it.

Does some tool already exist that can query this information from
userspace? If not, are the specifications needed to build one freely
available?

Daniel

--
Now that mountains of meaningless words and oceans divide us
And we each have our own set of stars to comfort and guide us

2002-09-17 01:33:22

by David Miller

From: Daniel Pittman <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 11:33:11 +1000

...which might explain why my machine has occasional DRM related hangs,
since there is no way for me to match the XFree86 AGP speed and the BIOS
set AGP speed -- my BIOS will not tell me what it set, nor does it have
a toggle to adjust it.

There's a value in the PCI config space, check out the AGP gart
code in the kernel. I don't know it offhand.

2002-09-17 04:14:01

by Daniel Pittman

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, David S. Miller wrote:
> From: Daniel Pittman <[email protected]>
> Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 11:33:11 +1000
>
> ...which might explain why my machine has occasional DRM related
> hangs, since there is no way for me to match the XFree86 AGP speed
> and the BIOS set AGP speed -- my BIOS will not tell me what it set,
> nor does it have a toggle to adjust it.
>
> There's a value in the PCI config space, check out the AGP gart
> code in the kernel. I don't know it offhand.

lspci -vv shows the details of it, in case anyone else is wondering what
their AGP bridge is configured for. Now to see if that solves my DRI
hangs...

Daniel

--
A psychatrist is someone who hopefully finds out what
makes a person tick before they explode.

2002-09-20 00:14:32

by Nicholas