2002-09-21 18:30:21

by Burton Samograd

Subject: problems building bzImage with 2.5.*

Hi all,

I'm quite new to the list and I'm not sure if this has been posted
already but I thought I would give it a shot. I've been trying to
build the 2.5.* kernels (2.5.37 at the moment but this has happened
with previous version as well) and when doing a make bzImage i keep
getting the following error during the final linkage:

<-- snip make entering and leaving individual driver directories with no
errors -->

Generating build number
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.5.37/init'
Generating /usr/src/linux-2.5.37/include/linux/compile.h (updated)
gcc -Wp,-MD,./.version.o.d -D__KERNEL__
-I/usr/src/linux-2.5.37/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing
-fno-common -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686
-I/usr/src/linux-2.5.37/arch/i386/mach-generic -nostdinc
-iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=version -c -o version.o
version.c
ld -m elf_i386 -r -o built-in.o main.o version.o do_mounts.o
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.5.37/init'
ld -m elf_i386 -e stext -T arch/i386/vmlinux.lds.s
arch/i386/kernel/head.o arch/i386/kernel/init_task.o
init/built-in.o --start-group arch/i386/kernel/built-in.o
arch/i386/mm/built-in.o arch/i386/mach-generic/built-in.o
kernel/built-in.o mm/built-in.o fs/built-in.o ipc/built-in.o
security/built-in.o lib/lib.a arch/i386/lib/lib.a
drivers/built-in.o sound/built-in.o arch/i386/pci/built-in.o
net/built-in.o --end-group -o vmlinux
drivers/built-in.o(.data+0xac34): undefined reference to `local
symbols in discarded section .text.exit'
make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1

<-- end of error -->

This is with gcc 3.1.1 on gentoo.

Also, is there a dependable link to searching the archives for this
list? I found some on the faq page but the results were less than
useful.

Thanks in advance.

burton

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.83 kB)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by jurriaan

> I'm quite new to the list and I'm not sure if this has been posted
> already but I thought I would give it a shot. I've been trying to
> build the 2.5.* kernels (2.5.37 at the moment but this has happened
> with previous version as well) and when doing a make bzImage i keep
> getting the following error during the final linkage:
>
> drivers/built-in.o(.data+0xac34): undefined reference to `local
> symbols in discarded section .text.exit'
> make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1

I think this means you need to update your binutils.

Kind regards,
Jurriaan
--
A man's silence is wonderful to listen to.
THOMAS HARDY

2002-09-21 19:02:22

by Adrian Bunk

On Sat, 21 Sep 2002, Jurriaan wrote:

> > I'm quite new to the list and I'm not sure if this has been posted
> > already but I thought I would give it a shot. I've been trying to
> > build the 2.5.* kernels (2.5.37 at the moment but this has happened
> > with previous version as well) and when doing a make bzImage i keep
> > getting the following error during the final linkage:
> >
> > drivers/built-in.o(.data+0xac34): undefined reference to `local
> > symbols in discarded section .text.exit'
> > make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1
> >
> I think this means you need to update your binutils.

You are wrong. One workaround would be to _downgrade_ binutils.

> Kind regards,
> Jurriaan

cu
Adrian

--

You only think this is a free country. Like the US the UK spends a lot of
time explaining its a free country because its a police state.

2002-09-21 19:06:27

by Adrian Bunk

On Sat, 21 Sep 2002, Burton Samograd wrote:

> Hi all,

Hi Burton,

> net/built-in.o --end-group -o vmlinux
> drivers/built-in.o(.data+0xac34): undefined reference to `local
> symbols in discarded section .text.exit'
> make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1

Is CONFIG_DE2104X enabled in your kernel? If yes this is a known problem
and a workaround is to compile this driver only modular. If this is not
the problem please send me your .config .

> Thanks in advance.
>
> burton

cu
Adrian

--

You only think this is a free country. Like the US the UK spends a lot of
time explaining its a free country because its a police state.
Alan Cox

2002-09-21 19:12:41

by Burton Samograd

On Sat, Sep 21, 2002 at 09:11:29PM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> Is CONFIG_DE2104X enabled in your kernel? If yes this is a known problem
> and a workaround is to compile this driver only modular. If this is not
> the problem please send me your .config .

No I don't have CONFIG_DE2104X enabled. I'll attach a copy of my
config that i'm using.

And for some more information I'm using version 2.12.90.0.7 of
binutils.

burton

Attachments:
(No filename) (0.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Greg KH

On Sat, Sep 21, 2002 at 11:35:27AM -0700, Burton Samograd wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm quite new to the list and I'm not sure if this has been posted
> already but I thought I would give it a shot. I've been trying to
> build the 2.5.* kernels (2.5.37 at the moment but this has happened
> with previous version as well) and when doing a make bzImage i keep
> getting the following error during the final linkage:

Enable CONFIG_HOTPLUG or downgrade your version of binutils. That
should fix the symptom.

As to how to fix the problem, you have to dig to determine which driver
is trying to reference a pointer that is marked __exit.

Hope this helps,

greg k-h