2002-10-02 02:49:02

by Krishnakumar B

Subject: Keyboard problems with Linux-2.5.40

Hi,

I am using a MS Natural Pro Keyboard with a PS/2 adapter (if I use it as a
USB keyboard I am not able to use it to select the kernel to load i.e use
the keyboard before the kernel is loaded, anybody know how to get around
this ? ) under Linux-2.5.40. I have mapped the multimedia keys available
under this keyboard to start some applications under X. I am having
problems with a couple of keys being unrecognized and one key producing
duplicate behaviour as another. Specifically, I have the following in my
.xmodmaprc file:

/----[ .xmodmap-samba ]
| ! .xmodmap-samba -- Customize Microsoft Natural Pro PC keyboard -*- xrdb -*-
| !
| ! last modified: 19-Oct-2001 Fri 15:03
|
| ! Use the fancy buttons to do some tasks
| !
| keycode 144 = XF86AudioPrev
| keycode 153 = XF86AudioNext
| keycode 160 = XF86AudioMute
| keycode 161 = XF86Calculator
| keycode 162 = XF86AudioPlay
| keycode 164 = XF86AudioStop
| keycode 174 = XF86AudioLowerVolume
| keycode 176 = XF86AudioRaiseVolume
| keycode 178 = XF86HomePage
| keycode 223 = XF86Standby
| keycode 229 = XF86Search
| keycode 230 = XF86Favorites
| keycode 231 = XF86Refresh
| keycode 232 = XF86Stop
| keycode 233 = XF86Forward
| keycode 234 = XF86Back
| keycode 235 = XF86MyComputer
| keycode 236 = XF86Mail
| keycode 237 = XF86AudioMedia

\----

I get the following in my kernel logs when I press XF86AudioMedia or
XF86Refresh. And the window manager doesn't do anything i.e it doesn't
start XMMS or reload the page under the browser

atkbd.c: Unknown key (set 2, scancode 0x150, on isa0060/serio0) pressed.
atkbd.c: Unknown key (set 2, scancode 0x150, on isa0060/serio0) released.
atkbd.c: Unknown key (set 2, scancode 0x120, on isa0060/serio0) pressed.
atkbd.c: Unknown key (set 2, scancode 0x120, on isa0060/serio0) released.
atkbd.c: Unknown key (set 2, scancode 0x120, on isa0060/serio0) pressed.
atkbd.c: Unknown key (set 2, scancode 0x120, on isa0060/serio0) released.
atkbd.c: Unknown key (set 2, scancode 0x150, on isa0060/serio0) pressed.
atkbd.c: Unknown key (set 2, scancode 0x150, on isa0060/serio0) released.

Also when I press XF86AudioLowerVolume, I get the same behaviour as
XF86HomePage i.e another instance of the browser is started. All other keys
work fine.

Can someone help me with this annoying problem ? Is there any package that
I should upgrade ? Have the keycodes for this keyboard changed with the new
kernel or have I miscompiled the kernel ? None of these problems occur with
Linux-2.4.19.

I am not on this list. So please CC me on any replies.

-kitty.

--
Krishnakumar B <kitty at cs dot wustl dot edu>
Distributed Object Computing Laboratory, Washington University in St.Louis

2002-10-02 11:00:15

by Skip Ford

Subject: Re: Keyboard problems with Linux-2.5.40

Krishnakumar B wrote:

> I am using a MS Natural Pro Keyboard with a PS/2 adapter (if I use it as a
> USB keyboard I am not able to use it to select the kernel to load i.e use
> the keyboard before the kernel is loaded, anybody know how to get around
> this ? ) under Linux-2.5.40. I have mapped the multimedia keys available

Have you enabled USB Keyboard Support in your BIOS?

> under this keyboard to start some applications under X. I am having
> problems with a couple of keys being unrecognized and one key producing
> duplicate behaviour as another. Specifically, I have the following in my
> .xmodmaprc file:
>
> /----[ .xmodmap-samba ]
>
> | keycode 174 = XF86AudioLowerVolume

> | keycode 178 = XF86HomePage

> | keycode 231 = XF86Refresh

> | keycode 237 = XF86AudioMedia
> \----
>
> I get the following in my kernel logs when I press XF86AudioMedia or
> XF86Refresh. And the window manager doesn't do anything i.e it doesn't
> start XMMS or reload the page under the browser
>
> atkbd.c: Unknown key (set 2, scancode 0x150, on isa0060/serio0) pressed.
> atkbd.c: Unknown key (set 2, scancode 0x150, on isa0060/serio0) released.
> atkbd.c: Unknown key (set 2, scancode 0x120, on isa0060/serio0) pressed.
> atkbd.c: Unknown key (set 2, scancode 0x120, on isa0060/serio0) released.
> atkbd.c: Unknown key (set 2, scancode 0x120, on isa0060/serio0) pressed.
> atkbd.c: Unknown key (set 2, scancode 0x120, on isa0060/serio0) released.
> atkbd.c: Unknown key (set 2, scancode 0x150, on isa0060/serio0) pressed.
> atkbd.c: Unknown key (set 2, scancode 0x150, on isa0060/serio0) released.
>
> Also when I press XF86AudioLowerVolume, I get the same behaviour as
> XF86HomePage i.e another instance of the browser is started. All other keys
> work fine.
>
> Can someone help me with this annoying problem ? Is there any package that
> I should upgrade ? Have the keycodes for this keyboard changed with the new
> kernel or have I miscompiled the kernel ? None of these problems occur with
> Linux-2.4.19.

The scancodes have changed. Try adding keycode 336 = XF86AudioMedia and
keycode 288 = XF86Refresh. If that works then remove any others you have
problems with, press the buttons to see the unknown scancode reported as
above to find out what it is, then add it back correctly with the new
code.

--
Skip

2002-10-02 11:20:00

by Skip Ford

Skip Ford wrote:
> Krishnakumar B wrote:
> >
> > atkbd.c: Unknown key (set 2, scancode 0x150, on isa0060/serio0) pressed.
> > atkbd.c: Unknown key (set 2, scancode 0x150, on isa0060/serio0) released.
> > atkbd.c: Unknown key (set 2, scancode 0x120, on isa0060/serio0) pressed.
>
> The scancodes have changed. Try adding keycode 336 = XF86AudioMedia and
> keycode 288 = XF86Refresh.

Forget that, too early in the morning. Those are the scancodes not the
keycodes.

--
Skip