2002-10-02 11:52:24

by Stig Brautaset

Subject: 2.5.40: menuconfig: no choice of keyboards

Nothing happens if I go to the "Input Device Support" section in
menuconf, and pick "Keyboards"; I get no new options. Got around it by
manually selecting a keyboard in .config to be able to test it further.
Either I chose the wrong one, or it just doesn't build it anyway, 'cause
the machine would not respond on boot.

Does it have something to do with the menuconfig bug reported elsewhere?
Here's mine, anyway:

/bin/sh ./scripts/Menuconfig arch/i386/config.in
Using defaults found in .config
Preparing scripts: functions,
parsing........................................................................../scripts/Menuconfig:
./MCmenu74: line 56: syntax error near unexpected token `fi'
./scripts/Menuconfig: ./MCmenu74: line 56: `fi'
...............done.

Stig
--
brautaset.org

2002-10-02 12:50:50

by Skip Ford

Subject: Re: 2.5.40: menuconfig: no choice of keyboards

Stig Brautaset wrote:
> Nothing happens if I go to the "Input Device Support" section in
> menuconf, and pick "Keyboards"; I get no new options. Got around it by
> manually selecting a keyboard in .config to be able to test it further.
> Either I chose the wrong one, or it just doesn't build it anyway, 'cause
> the machine would not respond on boot.
>
> Does it have something to do with the menuconfig bug reported elsewhere?

I get the same menuconfig error, but it doesn't affect the keyboard
options listed. The keyboard options show up if you select
"Serial i/o support"

--
Skip

2002-10-02 13:25:59

by Nick Sanders

On Wednesday 02 October 2002 12:30 pm, Stig Brautaset wrote:
> Nothing happens if I go to the "Input Device Support" section in
> menuconf, and pick "Keyboards"; I get no new options. Got around it by
> manually selecting a keyboard in .config to be able to test it further.
> Either I chose the wrong one, or it just doesn't build it anyway, 'cause
> the machine would not respond on boot.
>
> Does it have something to do with the menuconfig bug reported elsewhere?
> Here's mine, anyway:
>
> /bin/sh ./scripts/Menuconfig arch/i386/config.in
> Using defaults found in .config
> Preparing scripts: functions,
> parsing....................................................................
>....../scripts/Menuconfig: ./MCmenu74: line 56: syntax error near unexpected
> token `fi'
> ./scripts/Menuconfig: ./MCmenu74: line 56: `fi'
> ...............done.
>
> Stig

I think you need 'Serial i/o support' just above the 'Keyboards' option

2002-10-02 14:50:21

by Stig Brautaset

On Oct 02 2002, Nick was overheard saying:
> On Wednesday 02 October 2002 12:30 pm, Stig Brautaset wrote:
> > Nothing happens if I go to the "Input Device Support" section in
> > menuconf, and pick "Keyboards"; I get no new options. Got around it by
> > manually selecting a keyboard in .config to be able to test it further.
> > Either I chose the wrong one, or it just doesn't build it anyway, 'cause
> > the machine would not respond on boot.

> I think you need 'Serial i/o support' just above the 'Keyboards' option

You were indeed right. Sorry for the waste of bandwidth :)

Got it up and running now; a few warnings about unnused variables, but I
guess you guys don't want those reported... or what? :)

Stig, the embarrased one
--
brautaset.org

2002-10-02 15:34:05

by Dave Jones

On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 02:31:25PM +0100, Nick Sanders wrote:

> > Nothing happens if I go to the "Input Device Support" section in
> > menuconf, and pick "Keyboards"; I get no new options. Got around it by
> > manually selecting a keyboard in .config to be able to test it further.
> > Either I chose the wrong one, or it just doesn't build it anyway, 'cause
> > the machine would not respond on boot.
> I think you need 'Serial i/o support' just above the 'Keyboards' option

Quite a few people seem to stumble over the new input layer options.
It's non-obvious to quite a few people that serial i/o is anything to
do with their keyboard. Likewise i8042 doesn't ring 'keyboard' noises
in most peoples heads.

IMO, the input layer options need simplification, or at least
a sensible set of defaults.

Dave

--
| Dave Jones. http://www.codemonkey.org.uk

2002-10-04 08:21:08

by Helge Hafting

Dave Jones wrote:

> Quite a few people seem to stumble over the new input layer options.
> It's non-obvious to quite a few people that serial i/o is anything to
> do with their keyboard. Likewise i8042 doesn't ring 'keyboard' noises
> in most peoples heads.
>
> IMO, the input layer options need simplification, or at least
> a sensible set of defaults.

Well, the keyboard isn't magically attached. It _is_ a kind
of serial device. Making it default on, and calling the
thing "i8042 (pc keyb/mouse)" ought to be enough.

Helge Hafting