2002-10-06 23:06:13

by Jack Bowling

Subject: initio driver needs updating

Hi, folks. I would love to bang on the latest 2.5.x revs but unfortunately I
need an updated initio driver. My attempts at a compile all bomb with the
current initio code. Since the freeze is coming up, could somebody please find
whomever is responsible for this driver and ask them to write it to the new
specs? I would do it myself but I can't code!!

--
Jack Bowling
mailto: [email protected]

2002-10-07 11:06:55

by Bart Hartgers

Subject: Re: initio driver needs updating

On 6 Oct, Jack Bowling wrote:
> Hi, folks. I would love to bang on the latest 2.5.x revs but unfortunately I
> need an updated initio driver. My attempts at a compile all bomb with the
> current initio code. Since the freeze is coming up, could somebody please find
> whomever is responsible for this driver and ask them to write it to the new
> specs? I would do it myself but I can't code!!

Yeah, found the same problem. I am not the maintainer, but more than
willing to take a shot at it. It has been a while since I rooted around
in the kernel source, and, more importantly, I would like to use my
CD-burner with 2.5 :-).

Bart

--
Bart Hartgers - TUE Eindhoven
http://plasimo.phys.tue.nl/bart/contact.html

2002-10-07 14:02:49

by Alan

On Mon, 2002-10-07 at 12:09, [email protected] wrote:
> Yeah, found the same problem. I am not the maintainer, but more than
> willing to take a shot at it. It has been a while since I rooted around
> in the kernel source, and, more importantly, I would like to use my
> CD-burner with 2.5 :-).

Good luck. The main thing it needs to do is use the pci mapping
interfaces (see Documentation/DMA-mapping.txt). That actually has
helpers for scsi stuff.

2002-10-07 20:27:00

by Doug Ledford

On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 03:18:02PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-10-07 at 12:09, [email protected] wrote:
> > Yeah, found the same problem. I am not the maintainer, but more than
> > willing to take a shot at it. It has been a while since I rooted around
> > in the kernel source, and, more importantly, I would like to use my
> > CD-burner with 2.5 :-).
>
> Good luck. The main thing it needs to do is use the pci mapping
> interfaces (see Documentation/DMA-mapping.txt). That actually has
> helpers for scsi stuff.

I did one of the initio drivers, someone else can look at my changes and
see how to do the other initio driver. They need some real help to be
decent :-/

--
Doug Ledford <[email protected]> 919-754-3700 x44233
Red Hat, Inc.

2003-01-13 07:46:32

by Jack Bowling

** Reply to message from [email protected] on Mon, 07 Oct 2002 13:09:58 +0200 (CEST)

> On 6 Oct, Jack Bowling wrote:
> > Hi, folks. I would love to bang on the latest 2.5.x revs but unfortunately I
> > need an updated initio driver. My attempts at a compile all bomb with the
> > current initio code. Since the freeze is coming up, could somebody please find
> > whomever is responsible for this driver and ask them to write it to the new
> > specs? I would do it myself but I can't code!!
> >

> Yeah, found the same problem. I am not the maintainer, but more than
> willing to take a shot at it. It has been a while since I rooted around
> in the kernel source, and, more importantly, I would like to use my
> CD-burner with 2.5 :-).

Just an update. Here is the output from an attempted compile of 2.5.56 on the same box. Same hardware as before.

===========begin make output==========

gcc -Wp,-MD,drivers/scsi/.ini9100u.o.d -D__KERNEL__ -Iinclude -Wall -Wstrict-p
rototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -pipe -mpreferred-
stack-boundary=2 -march=pentium3 -Iinclude/asm-i386/mach-default -fomit-frame-po
inter -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=ini9100u -DKBUILD_MODN
AME=initio -c -o drivers/scsi/ini9100u.o drivers/scsi/ini9100u.c
drivers/scsi/ini9100u.c:111:2: #error Please convert me to Documentation/DMA-map
ping.txt
drivers/scsi/ini9100u.c:144: unknown field `next' specified in initializer
drivers/scsi/ini9100u.c:144: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer t
ype
drivers/scsi/ini9100u.c:144: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer t
ype
drivers/scsi/ini9100u.c: In function `i91uBuildSCB':
drivers/scsi/ini9100u.c:492: structure has no member named `address'
drivers/scsi/ini9100u.c:501: structure has no member named `address'
drivers/scsi/hosts.h: At top level:
drivers/scsi/scsi.h:505: warning: `scsi_proc_host_add' declared `static' but nev
er defined
drivers/scsi/scsi.h:506: warning: `scsi_proc_host_rm' declared `static' but neve
r defined
make[2]: *** [drivers/scsi/ini9100u.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [drivers/scsi] Error 2
make: *** [drivers] Error 2

========end make output========

Unsure if it is bombing due to the usual ini9100u problems or changes to the base scsi code.

jb

--
Jack Bowling
mailto: [email protected]