2002-10-10 00:53:32

by Jan-Hinnerk Reichert

Subject: 2.4.19: network related kernel panic (was: Blinking Keyboard LED after crash?)

Hi,

first thanks for all replies.

I have just had another identical kernel crash with kernel compiled with
gcc-2.95.3 as it comes with SuSE 7.3

This time I got an error on console (I switched with Alt-F10 before the
crash).

The error was an "divide error" in kfree. This was called via some functions
from rtl8139_start_xmit (8139too.c).
Other functions involved are from
- qdisc (I use CBQ, SFQ)
- ip forward
- netfilter
- 802.1d Ethernet Bridging

The package that triggers this error is most likely coming from an DSL-modem
over (kernel based PPPoE, pppd 2.4.1), in that case CBQ is not involved (only
SFQ)

System:
CPU: AMD K5PR166
Chipset: Intel HX

My network configuration:
eth1: RTL 8139 <-> DSL-Modem
br0: (802.1d Ethernet Bridge)
eth0: RTL-8029 (PCI NE2000) <-> three computers over Coax
eth2: RTL-8139 <-> Single other computer

Kernel:
No modules.
No experimental options except for PPPoE
Memory mapped I/O for network

Has anyone experienced similar difficulties?
Has anyone a clue what it could be?
Is a hardware failure likely?
Should I post more information (complete call-trace, kernel-config,
netfilter-rules)?

For now I have disabled CBQ and SFQ to narrow the error, but it could be weeks
until the next crash (or perhaps it crashes before I can send this mail)

Any ideas, pointers, patches appreciated
Jan-Hinnerk