2002-10-09 12:43:28

by Bloch, Jack

Subject: Device Driver

I have written a device driver for a cPCI device. Thsi device driver loads
and runs successfully when my application starts (I call /sbin/insmod).
However, when I add the following line to /etc/modules.conf

alias ifp0 Icdrva0s /* my device is called ifp0 and the driver
Icdrva0s.o is stored in /lib/modules/2.4.18-3/kernel/drivers/net */

I get depmod errors. When I run depmod -e, I see that it is complaining
about all kinds of regular symbols (ioremap, pci_register_driver to name but
a few). What am I doing wrong? Please CC me directly on any responses.

Thanks in advance,

Jack Bloch
Siemens ICN
phone (561) 923-6550
e-mail [email protected]

2002-10-10 15:15:30

by szonyi calin

Subject: Re: Device Driver

--- "Bloch, Jack" <[email protected]> a ?crit?: > I
have written a device driver for a cPCI device. Thsi device
> driver loads
> and runs successfully when my application starts (I call
> /sbin/insmod).
> However, when I add the following line to /etc/modules.conf
>
> alias ifp0 Icdrva0s /* my device is called ifp0
> and the driver
> Icdrva0s.o is stored in
> /lib/modules/2.4.18-3/kernel/drivers/net */
>
> I get depmod errors. When I run depmod -e, I see that it is
> complaining
> about all kinds of regular symbols (ioremap,
> pci_register_driver to name but
> a few). What am I doing wrong? Please CC me directly on any

Hi

What System.map do you use for depmod ?
If you do a man depmod you can see that it has an algorithm
for finding the System.map. But maybe the case that
depmod thins that your System.map is in another directory.

I think it's better to specify manually the system map
from your kernel tree (i.e. /usr/src/linux/System.map)

Bye
Calin

=====
--
A mouse is a device used to point at
the xterm you want to type in.

by Bloch, Jack

Thanks for the response. I figured out the problem. I included
linux/modversions.h in my makefile and now it works (silly mistake on my
part).

Jack Bloch
Siemens ICN
phone (561) 923-6550
e-mail [email protected]

=====
--
A mouse is a device used to point at
the xterm you want to type in.
Kim Alm on a.s.r.

by Naveed Basha

Am developing a device driver in Linux using C, wherein the processes
communicate via a shared memory.

Can you please tell me how should I design the memory. whether it
should be at the kernel level or at the user level. And if at the
kernel level, give me the functions and APIs to use.

Thanks and regards,
Naveed