2002-10-16 09:15:13

by Joseph Wenninger

Subject: usb CF reader and 2.4.19

Hi

Is there anything I can do to flush all usb / usb storage buffers to my
compact flash ?

At the moment I have to rmmod usb-storage && rmmod usb-uhci && modprobe
usb-uhci && modprobe usb-storage to ensure all data is written
correctly, otherwise the directory structure isn't saved even after an
unmount.

Is there an application, function call, ioctl, .... which I can use,
instead of the above mentioned inconvenient way ?

Kind regards
Joseph Wenninger

2002-10-16 15:28:40

by Rob van Nieuwkerk

Subject: Re: usb CF reader and 2.4.19

Hi Joseph,

You don't mention what USB device you are using with your compact flash.
I don't have any problems with a "SanDisk Imagemate, SDDR-31" USB
CF reader: works flawlessly.

I'm using a up-to-date Red Hat 7.3 system with Red Hat kernel 2.4.18-10.
Maybe the driver(s) for your USB and/or cardreader are buggy.

greetings,
Rob van Nieuwkerk

PS: before chosing the SDDR-31 I did some extensive web-research on the
USB/CF readers available with Linux. I chose the SDDR-31 (which
can be a bit hard to get nowadays) because it seemed the device
with the least (Linux) problems.

> Is there anything I can do to flush all usb / usb storage buffers to my
> compact flash ?
>
> At the moment I have to rmmod usb-storage && rmmod usb-uhci && modprobe
> usb-uhci && modprobe usb-storage to ensure all data is written
> correctly, otherwise the directory structure isn't saved even after an
> unmount.
>
> Is there an application, function call, ioctl, .... which I can use,
> instead of the above mentioned inconvenient way ?
>
> Kind regards
> Joseph Wenninger

2002-10-16 15:28:46

by Greg KH

On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 11:22:04AM +0200, Joseph Wenninger wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is there anything I can do to flush all usb / usb storage buffers to my
> compact flash ?
>
> At the moment I have to rmmod usb-storage && rmmod usb-uhci && modprobe
> usb-uhci && modprobe usb-storage to ensure all data is written
> correctly, otherwise the directory structure isn't saved even after an
> unmount.
>
> Is there an application, function call, ioctl, .... which I can use,
> instead of the above mentioned inconvenient way ?

sync(1) and then umount(8) doesn't flush everything to the device?

thanks,

greg k-h

2002-10-16 17:10:16

by Joseph Wenninger

Hi

Am Mit, 2002-10-16 um 17.34 schrieb Greg KH:

> sync(1) and then umount(8) doesn't flush everything to the device?

Exactly. If I remount the device it looks like everything is okay, but
if I put it into my notebook instead the CF appears still empty. If I do
the module unloading before I remove the CF from the reader it works. I
don't think that it is the card reader, since it works perfectly with
Windows XP or 2000.

Just for reference I use a ML4-USB card reader/writer from Datafab. It
is a device with 4 slots (each appearing as an own device) for
CF,SM,SD,MS

Kind regards
Joseph Wenninger

2002-10-16 21:17:46

by Vid Strpic

On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 11:22:04AM +0200, Joseph Wenninger wrote:
> Is there anything I can do to flush all usb / usb storage buffers to
> my compact flash ?
> At the moment I have to rmmod usb-storage && rmmod usb-uhci &&
> modprobe usb-uhci && modprobe usb-storage to ensure all data is
> written correctly, otherwise the directory structure isn't saved even
> after an unmount.

eject sda|whichever device it is, maybe?

Works here with my SM/CF reader.

--
[email protected], IRC:*@Martin, /bin/zsh. C|N>K
Linux lorien 2.4.19rml #1 Mon Sep 16 09:01:48 CEST 2002 i586