2002-10-18 04:40:08

by Andy Tai

Subject: Tigon3 driver problem with raw socket on 2.4.20-pre10-ac2

Hi, I am having problem with the (ethernet) Tigon3
driver with Linux kernel 2.4.20-pre10-ac2. If a
program busily sends packets out on a raw socket
(PF_PACKET, SOCK_RAW) on a Tigon3-chipset-based
ethernet card (Neargear GA302T), the machine (AMD
Athlon CPU, KT333 motherboard) locks up hard after a
while. No kernel panic or other error messages. If I
use a Intel PRO1000 card with the e1000 driver and
identical same hardware and program otherwise, no lock
up problem and the packets are sent properly. Thus
this indicates the problem is in the Tigon3 driver.

Thanks for any info on solving this problem.

http://faith.yahoo.com

2002-10-18 06:12:10

by Ben Greear

Andy Tai wrote:
> Hi, I am having problem with the (ethernet) Tigon3
> driver with Linux kernel 2.4.20-pre10-ac2. If a
> program busily sends packets out on a raw socket
> (PF_PACKET, SOCK_RAW) on a Tigon3-chipset-based
> ethernet card (Neargear GA302T), the machine (AMD
> Athlon CPU, KT333 motherboard) locks up hard after a
> while. No kernel panic or other error messages. If I
> use a Intel PRO1000 card with the e1000 driver and
> identical same hardware and program otherwise, no lock
> up problem and the packets are sent properly. Thus
> this indicates the problem is in the Tigon3 driver.
>
> Thanks for any info on solving this problem.

I also had problems on an DUAL-AMD board, and also with a single
AMD board (SMP kernel though). It works without problems in a P-IV
board though. I compiled my kernels for Athlon target, and the P-IV
for the P-IV processor specifically. I wonder if using a generic
x386 kernel would fix something...

Let me know what you find out!

Ben

--
Ben Greear <[email protected]> <Ben_Greear AT excite.com>
President of Candela Technologies Inc http://www.candelatech.com

2002-10-18 06:15:23

by David Miller

From: Andy Tai <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 21:44:02 -0700 (PDT)

Thus this indicates the problem is in the Tigon3 driver.

Please retest with 2.4.19.

There have actually been a lot of Athlon based problem reports in the
2.4.20 series. And to be honest, tigon3 hardware is buggy in spots.
You could also download and try Broadcom's driver with your card in
2.4.20-pre10-ac2 if you'd like to rule out tg3.c specifically.

2002-10-19 06:00:29

by David Miller

From: Andy Tai <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 23:02:21 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for your sugestion. With Linux 2.4.19, the
problem goes away. So something is wrong with the
2.4.20-pre kernels as related to the AMD Athlon...

To be honest, I have had a few relaibly reocurring lockups of my
Athlon at night.

I tend not to mention them however, because this machine has an AGP
graphics card where I've removed the brace that keep it in the AGP
slot, so it tends to slide out when it gets warm due to lots of 3d
rendering.... :-)

2002-10-19 05:56:20

by Andy Tai

Thanks for your sugestion. With Linux 2.4.19, the
problem goes away. So something is wrong with the
2.4.20-pre kernels as related to the AMD Athlon...

Thanks again for your help.

Andy

> Thus this indicates the problem is in the Tigon3
> driver.
>
> Please retest with 2.4.19.
>
> There have actually been a lot of Athlon based
> problem reports in the
> 2.4.20 series.

http://webhosting.yahoo.com/

2002-10-21 21:55:04

by Benjamin LaHaise

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 10:58:48PM -0700, David S. Miller wrote:
> From: Andy Tai <[email protected]>
> Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 23:02:21 -0700 (PDT)
>
> Thanks for your sugestion. With Linux 2.4.19, the
> problem goes away. So something is wrong with the
> 2.4.20-pre kernels as related to the AMD Athlon...
>
> To be honest, I have had a few relaibly reocurring lockups of my
> Athlon at night.

I had this problem with -ac for a while, but one of Alan's newer
kernels finally fixed it. I suspect the problem was related to
nfs, but I've not yet tracked down exactly which patch fixed.
That machine is a A7M266D with two MP 2000+s and an older AGP card
which doesn't draw much power.

-ben