2002-10-22 14:06:10

by Take Vos

Subject: PROBLEM: PS/2 keyboard and mouse not available/working/weird

Hello,

kernel: linux-2.5.44
hardware:DELL Inspiron 8100
config:
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV
CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV
CONFIG_SERIO
CONFIG_SERIO_I8042
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSE
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2
CONFIG_USB
CONFIG_USB_HID
CONFIG_USB_HIDINPUT

I just upgraded to 2.5.44 from 2.5.43.

In 2.5.43 I had a small PS/2 mouse problem, as it din't see my wart but only
my scratch pad.

In 2.5.44 both my PS/2 mice are not available, neither is my keyboard,
although after sufficient keystrokes, sometimes 5, sometimes more, the
keyboard is found, this is with Xfree.

Here is some relevant dmesg information.
--snip--
drivers/usb/core/usb.c: registered new driver hid
drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: v2.0:USB HID core driver
drivers/usb/core/usb.c: registered new driver usbscanner
drivers/usb/image/scanner.c: 0.4.6:USB Scanner Driver
register interface 'mouse' with class 'input
mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
register interface 'joystick' with class 'input
register interface 'event' with class 'input
serio: i8042 AUX port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
serio: i8042 KBD port at 0x60,0x64 irq 1
--snip--
MTRR: setting reg 3
atkbd.c: Unknown key (set 0, scancode 0xf0, on isa0060/serio0) pressed.
atkbd.c: Unknown key (set 0, scancode 0x4b, on isa0060/serio0) pressed.
atkbd.c: Unknown key (set 0, scancode 0x43, on isa0060/serio0) pressed.
atkbd.c: Unknown key (set 0, scancode 0xf0, on isa0060/serio0) pressed.
atkbd.c: Unknown key (set 0, scancode 0x43, on isa0060/serio0) pressed.
input: AT Set 2 keyboard on isa0060/serio0

The last time I booted in 2.5.44 the keyboard was found after about 20
keystrokes but was useless as it produced weird escape sequences instead of
normal characters, this was without XFree (to check if it had something to do
with that).

2002-10-22 14:28:49

by Vojtech Pavlik

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 04:03:49PM +0200, Take Vos wrote:

> I just upgraded to 2.5.44 from 2.5.43.
>
> In 2.5.43 I had a small PS/2 mouse problem, as it din't see my wart but only
> my scratch pad.

Known bug, still trying to find out why this happens. Any chance your
notebook has an IBM touchpad?

> In 2.5.44 both my PS/2 mice are not available, neither is my keyboard,
> although after sufficient keystrokes, sometimes 5, sometimes more, the
> keyboard is found, this is with Xfree.

Interesting.

> Here is some relevant dmesg information.
> --snip--
> drivers/usb/core/usb.c: registered new driver hid
> drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: v2.0:USB HID core driver
> drivers/usb/core/usb.c: registered new driver usbscanner
> drivers/usb/image/scanner.c: 0.4.6:USB Scanner Driver
> register interface 'mouse' with class 'input
> mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
> register interface 'joystick' with class 'input
> register interface 'event' with class 'input
> serio: i8042 AUX port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
> serio: i8042 KBD port at 0x60,0x64 irq 1
> --snip--
> MTRR: setting reg 3
> atkbd.c: Unknown key (set 0, scancode 0xf0, on isa0060/serio0) pressed.
> atkbd.c: Unknown key (set 0, scancode 0x4b, on isa0060/serio0) pressed.
> atkbd.c: Unknown key (set 0, scancode 0x43, on isa0060/serio0) pressed.
> atkbd.c: Unknown key (set 0, scancode 0xf0, on isa0060/serio0) pressed.
> atkbd.c: Unknown key (set 0, scancode 0x43, on isa0060/serio0) pressed.
> input: AT Set 2 keyboard on isa0060/serio0

Very interesting.

> The last time I booted in 2.5.44 the keyboard was found after about 20
> keystrokes but was useless as it produced weird escape sequences instead of
> normal characters, this was without XFree (to check if it had something to do
> with that).

Can you try with #define DEBUG in i8042.c?

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs

2002-10-22 14:30:57

by Michael Dreher

Am Dienstag, 22. Oktober 2002 16:03 schrieb Take Vos:

> Hello,
>
> kernel: linux-2.5.44

I have a similar problem.

> config:
> CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV
> CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV
> CONFIG_SERIO
> CONFIG_SERIO_I8042
> CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSE
> CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2
> CONFIG_USB
> CONFIG_USB_HID
> CONFIG_USB_HIDINPUT

My .config is

CONFIG_INPUT=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_PSAUX=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_X=1024
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_Y=768
CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV=y
CONFIG_SERIO=y
CONFIG_SERIO_I8042=y
CONFIG_SERIO_SERPORT=y
CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBOARD=y
CONFIG_KEYBOARD_ATKBD=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSE=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2=y

CONFIG_USB=y
CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS=y
CONFIG_USB_OHCI_HCD=y
CONFIG_USB_UHCI_HCD_ALT=y
CONFIG_USB_HID=y
CONFIG_USB_HIDINPUT=y
CONFIG_USB_HIDDEV=y

> In 2.5.44 both my PS/2 mice are not available, neither is my keyboard,
> although after sufficient keystrokes, sometimes 5, sometimes more, the
> keyboard is found, this is with Xfree.

Toggling CapsLock etc. does nothing to the LEDs. I can move the Mousepointer
around with the PS/2 mouse, but I can not click. My USB mouse sort of works,
but only in one USB connector. Not the other.

The box is a Sony Vaio Picturebook (japanese version). This was working in
2.5.42.

If you need more info, just ask.

Michael

2002-10-22 18:13:06

by Vojtech Pavlik

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 04:37:47PM +0200, Michael Dreher wrote:

> > In 2.5.44 both my PS/2 mice are not available, neither is my keyboard,
> > although after sufficient keystrokes, sometimes 5, sometimes more, the
> > keyboard is found, this is with Xfree.
>
> Toggling CapsLock etc. does nothing to the LEDs. I can move the Mousepointer
> around with the PS/2 mouse, but I can not click. My USB mouse sort of works,
> but only in one USB connector. Not the other.
>
> The box is a Sony Vaio Picturebook (japanese version). This was working in
> 2.5.42.
>
> If you need more info, just ask.

The 'dmesg' trace of the mouse and keyboard init with #define DEBUG
enabled in drivers/input/serio/i8042.c. Your XF86Config mouse-related
part. /proc/bus/usb/devices, /proc/bus/input/devices. Anything else you
deem relevant (exact Vaio model, exact mouse and usb devices models).

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs

2002-10-23 07:50:55

by Take Vos

2002-12-12 22:19:58

by Take Vos

2002-12-13 13:39:19

by Bas Vermeulen

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Take Vos wrote:

> On Tuesday 22 October 2002 16:34, Vojtech Pavlik wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 04:03:49PM +0200, Take Vos wrote:
> > > In 2.5.44 both my PS/2 mice are not available, neither is my keyboard,
> > > although after sufficient keystrokes, sometimes 5, sometimes more, the
> > > keyboard is found, this is with Xfree.
> I am now using 2.5.51 and I still have the problem when I reboot from a 2.5.51
> kernel to a 2.5.51 or 2.4.19 kernel both my internal keyboard and mouse (DELL
> Inspiron 8100) are not working anymore. The strange thing is the keyboard
> does work in grub.
>
> relevant dmesg output:
> device class 'input': registering
> register interface 'mouse' with class 'input'
> mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
> register interface 'joystick' with class 'input'
> register interface 'event' with class 'input'
> input: PS/2 Synaptics TouchPad on isa0060/serio1
> serio: i8042 AUX port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
> input: AT Set 2 keyboard on isa0060/serio0
> serio: i8042 KBD port at 0x60,0x64 irq 1

I have exactly the same problem on an Inspiron 8000. Been that way since
2.5.4x (7 or 8), but cannot get a working 2.5.51 to test at this point.

Just to add another data point. :)

Bas Vermeulen

--
"God, root, what is difference?"