2002-10-23 17:45:23

by Ashwin Sawant

Subject: Workqueues and the Nvidia driver

I have successfully compiled the latest Nvidia driver with kernel
2.5.44 on a heavily modified RH 7.2 (original compiler) box after
applying the patch posted to this list previously. However it
can't be loaded because insmod bombs out saying that, IIRC,
create_workqueue, flush_workqueue, and a couple of other similar
symbols are unresolved.
nm vmlinux shows that these symbols exist and this is (obviously)
reflected in the System.map. However, the proc interface doesn't
show them. I use modutils-2.4.6.
I'm not familiar with the internals but IMHO, this may be a
problem with the kernel and not only with the Nvidia driver
(hence, the reason for posting here).
Any advice/info would be appreciated.
TIA,
Ashwin.

Give your Company an email address like
ravi @ ravi-exports.com. Sign up for Rediffmail Pro today!
Know more. http://www.rediffmailpro.com/signup/

2002-10-23 17:59:10

by Dave Jones

Subject: Re: Workqueues and the Nvidia driver

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 05:52:55PM -0000, Ashwin Sawant wrote:
> I have successfully compiled the latest Nvidia driver with kernel
> 2.5.44 on a heavily modified RH 7.2 (original compiler) box after
> applying the patch posted to this list previously. However it
> can't be loaded because insmod bombs out saying that, IIRC,
> create_workqueue, flush_workqueue, and a couple of other similar
> symbols are unresolved.

These symbols are exported only to modules with a GPL license.
The nVidia driver does not meet this criteria.

Dave

--
| Dave Jones. http://www.codemonkey.org.uk

2002-10-24 09:06:58

by Denis Vlasenko

On 23 October 2002 15:52, Ashwin Sawant wrote:
> I have successfully compiled the latest Nvidia driver with kernel
> 2.5.44 on a heavily modified RH 7.2 (original compiler) box after
> applying the patch posted to this list previously. However it
> can't be loaded because insmod bombs out saying that, IIRC,
> create_workqueue, flush_workqueue, and a couple of other similar
> symbols are unresolved.
> nm vmlinux shows that these symbols exist and this is (obviously)
> reflected in the System.map. However, the proc interface doesn't
> show them. I use modutils-2.4.6.

Way old. Maybe not the cause of your problem, but I see there are
modutils 2.4.21
--
vda

2002-10-24 12:52:22

by Ashwin Sawant

Regarding the problems with the nvidia driver on 2.5.44, the
problem is, as Dave suggested, the GPL-only workqueues. I changed
(for personal use) the relevant EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPLs to
EXPORT_SYMBOLs in workqueue.c. It works quite fine even though it
is a bit unstable.
Adding a MODULE_LICENSE("GPL") line to the nvidia driver would
have been quicker but I don't somehow think that's allowed :)
Cheers,

"Ashwin Sawant" <[email protected]> writes:

>Adding a MODULE_LICENSE("GPL") line to the nvidia driver would
>have been quicker but I don't somehow think that's allowed :)

If you don't distribute the resulting binary and the modified source
code, of course it is. It's unethical though. And ugly, too. :-)

Regards
Henning

--
Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen -- Geschaeftsfuehrer
INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH [email protected]

Am Schwabachgrund 22 Fon.: 09131 / 50654-0 [email protected]
D-91054 Buckenhof Fax.: 09131 / 50654-20

2002-10-24 21:29:54

by Chris Wedgwood

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 05:52:55PM -0000, Ashwin Sawant wrote:

> I have successfully compiled the latest Nvidia driver with kernel
> 2.5.44 on a heavily modified RH 7.2 (original compiler) box after
> applying the patch posted to this list previously.

I wrote the initial workqueues patch --- and it was bogus of me to use
workqueues.

I have a patch that uses tasklet instead which works much better; if
you want this email me off the list (this applies to anyone who wants
this stuff --- DO NOT clutter l-k with this please).

--cw