2002-10-27 20:54:47

by Rob Landley

Subject: ARGH! (Is there an HTML archive for linux-kernel that patches work from?)

Marc.theaimsgroup.com has a lovely "raw mode", but it truncates posts that are
too long.

groups.google.com looses attachments, even plain text ones.

Anything based on hypermail screws up whitespace in an interesting way. (You
can't "save as" because it inserts <br> between each line, even the source
preserves whitespace and keeps tabs as tabs and everything. You can't cut
and paste because html that isn't quoted with <pre> mangles whitespace for
you. You can't make a simple script to remove <br> when it occurs at the end
of the line because it's not consistent: blank lines don't become <br>, they
become <p>. And you'd have to worry about &lt; and such anyway...

I'm sorry, I'm a bit frustrated right now. I"m trying to provide URLs to
patches posted on this list. This sounds easy, doesn't it? It's not.

I'm going to go to lunch now...

Erich: Could you put your october 25 numa scheduler posting on your home page
somewhere? I tried:

http://home.arcor.de/efocht/patches/01-numa_sched_core-2.5.44-10a.patch

But that just would have been too easy... :)

--
http://penguicon.sf.net - Terry Pratchett, Eric Raymond, Pete Abrams, Illiad,
CmdrTaco, liquid nitrogen ice cream, and caffienated jello. Well why not?

2002-10-27 23:02:04

by Erich Focht

On Sunday 27 October 2002 17:01, Rob Landley wrote:
> Erich: Could you put your october 25 numa scheduler posting on your home
> page somewhere? I tried:
>
> http://home.arcor.de/efocht/patches/01-numa_sched_core-2.5.44-10a.patch
>
> But that just would have been too easy... :)

Sorry that I didn't do this before...
Patches are at
http://home.arcor.de/efocht/sched/01-numa_sched_core-2.5.44-10a.patch
http://home.arcor.de/efocht/sched/02-numa_sched_ilb-2.5.44-10.patch

Regards,
Erich

2002-10-28 04:28:25

by Hank Leininger

On 2002-10-27, Rob Landley <[email protected]> wrote:

> Marc.theaimsgroup.com has a lovely "raw mode", but it truncates posts
> that are too long.

This is true, and I consider it a bug. However the limit should be quite
high--either 256KB or 1MB or so. So raising / eliminating the limit isn't
high on my priority list :-P Please do let us know (me directly, or
[email protected]) if you find other mails that have been truncated
at shorter than this, I'll look into it.

Also, I'm interested in any corner cases where the attachment-parser messes
up--most of all when it fails to make attachments properly downloadable,
but also, to a lesser extent, any predictably readable mime-type, encoding,
etc which it currently doesn't try to print in-line, but could.

> Erich: Could you put your october 25 numa scheduler posting on your
> home page somewhere? I tried:

> http://home.arcor.de/efocht/patches/01-numa_sched_core-2.5.44-10a.patch

If I've got the right mail, you're after this one, correct?

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103556765829589&w=2

...Which looks complete from here? That particular patch can be downloaded
directly as:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103556765829589&q=p3

Thanks,

Hank Leininger <[email protected]>

2002-10-28 07:41:38

by Hank Leininger

On Sun, 27 Oct 2002, Rob Landley wrote:

> On Sunday 27 October 2002 22:34, Hank Leininger wrote:
> > Also, I'm interested in any corner cases where the attachment-parser messes
> > up--most of all when it fails to make attachments properly downloadable,
> > but also, to a lesser extent, any predictably readable mime-type, encoding,
> > etc which it currently doesn't try to print in-line, but could.
>
> This one went totally bonkers, but the post it was embedded in could have been
> too long:
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103559201620433&q=p3

Hm. Actually I think the only problem with this is a browser issue.
[ But not any more, see below. ] That attachment is named
"linux-2.4.20-pre9-agp3.patch.gz". Netscape (at least) has absolutely
idiotic behavior when downloading .gz files: it will strip the .gz
extension, but not decompress the file! So when I use Netscape to save
the above, I get:

- -rw-r--r-- 1 hlein users 7023 Oct 28 02:06 linux-2.4.20-pre9-agp3.patch

Which is a bunch of binary crap. But 'file' realizes it's compressed:

$ file linux-2.4.20-pre9-agp3.patch
linux-2.4.20-pre9-agp3.patch: gzip compressed data, deflated, original filename, `linux-2.4.20-pre9-agp3.patch', last modified: Thu Oct 24 19:09:39 2002, os: Unix

And if you rename it to put the .gz back on, and/or gunzip -c it, you
should get what looks like a proper diff file. (I don't know a way for
a server to override this behavior; if anyone does, please contact me
off-list.)

Hm. OTOH, I just tested that with Konqueror (v 3.mumble) and it
segfaults trying to download it. Bad.

[tests]

OK. I was basically reproducing the Content-Disposition header from the
mail, which contains a filename hint. In an email it looks like:

Netscape and at least some other browsers eat that just fine (and take
the filename hint). Konqueror segfaults. If I remove that header, it's
fine, but then there's no filename hint. If I s/attachment;// then
Konqueror doesn't segfault. Netscape 4.8 and MSIE 6sp1 both still grok
the filename hint. Konqueror's handling of the filename hint seems
inconsistent (sometimes doesn't work at all; sometimes thinks the
closing double quote is part of the filename). Still investigating.
But this is better than before, so just committed that change.

I'll file a bug report on Konqueror (the header was admittedly bogus
before, but it shouldn't have caused a SEGV), and try to figure out how
to get filename hints working better for Konq as well.

> linux-kernel mailing list blurb was at the end of them. The penultimate list
> will be posted in a few minutes, just trying to catch up on linux-kernel
> first to see if I missed anything.

If these mails don't cross each other, please check if you can if the
other cases you've seen are similar to the above.

Thanks,

Hank Leininger <[email protected]>
E407 AEF4 761E D39C D401 D4F4 22F8 EF11 861A A6F1

2002-10-30 21:46:03

by Hank Leininger