2002-10-29 08:02:45

by DevilKin

Subject: [2.5.44] 8250_cs does not work.

Hello,

Since I've started to test the 2.5 series, I've noticed that 8250_cs doesn't
really work - it doesn't detect my pcmcia card (psion global gold card).

I had a patch for 2.5.40 from Russell King that fixed it, but I can't get it
to apply to 2.5.44, and well - out of the box it still doesn't work.

Is there any plan to get that fix in the kernel?

Thanks!

DK
--
The scum also rises.
-- Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

2002-10-29 08:18:30

by Russell King

Subject: Re: [2.5.44] 8250_cs does not work.

On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 09:08:49AM +0100, DevilKin wrote:
> Since I've started to test the 2.5 series, I've noticed that 8250_cs doesn't
> really work - it doesn't detect my pcmcia card (psion global gold card).
>
> I had a patch for 2.5.40 from Russell King that fixed it, but I can't get it
> to apply to 2.5.44, and well - out of the box it still doesn't work.
>
> Is there any plan to get that fix in the kernel?

The fix went in, so something else must have broken it. There were some
changes to the PCMCIA layer resource handling. Please supply:

1. kernel messages
2. cardmgr-related messages from /var/log/messages
3. /proc/ioports
4. /proc/tty/driver/serial

--
Russell King ([email protected]) The developer of ARM Linux

by DevilKin

On Tuesday 29 October 2002 09:24, Russell King wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 09:08:49AM +0100, DevilKin wrote:
> > Since I've started to test the 2.5 series, I've noticed that 8250_cs
> > doesn't really work - it doesn't detect my pcmcia card (psion global gold
> > card).
> >
> > I had a patch for 2.5.40 from Russell King that fixed it, but I can't get
> > it to apply to 2.5.44, and well - out of the box it still doesn't work.
> >
> > Is there any plan to get that fix in the kernel?
>
> The fix went in, so something else must have broken it. There were some
> changes to the PCMCIA layer resource handling. Please supply:
>
> 1. kernel messages
> 2. cardmgr-related messages from /var/log/messages
> 3. /proc/ioports
> 4. /proc/tty/driver/serial

Ah. Looks like I owe you an apology.

I hadn't rebooted after symlinking 8250_cs.o to serial_cs.o. I did a depmod
-a, and then manually loaded the module - this caused it to not detect my
serial pcmcia card.

Rebooting and getting it loaded through cardmgr does work. Odd. Anyway, I'm
happy :oP

DK

--
"When you are in it up to your ears, keep your mouth shut."