2002-11-01 21:24:34

by Colin Burnett

Subject: file change notification

Is there notification to processes on file change?

If there is, I can't seem to find any good docs on the web. If there's not,
what's the arguement for or against implementing it (or has no one got around to
doing it)? :)

--

Colin Burnett

2002-11-01 22:13:38

by Chris Wright

Subject: Re: file change notification

* Colin Burnett ([email protected]) wrote:
> Is there notification to processes on file change?

have you looked at dnotify? Documentation/dnotify.txt

-chris

2002-11-02 15:37:24

by Jamie Lokier

Chris Wright wrote:
> * Colin Burnett ([email protected]) wrote:
> > Is there notification to processes on file change?
>
> have you looked at dnotify? Documentation/dnotify.txt

dnotify is better than file notification if you're monitoring a lot of
files in a directory which change rarely. On the other hand it's
quite bad if you're monitoring a few files and other files in the
directory are changing often.

Still, it works.

-- Jamie